View Full Version : Post your DiD diaries here ...

11-18-2005, 08:44 PM
This is where we'll post our DiD diaries.

For those who haven't followed the relevant thread, rules can be customised to the player's liking, but for a set of "standard" ones http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3841015673.

Let's see who'll bring the most interesting diary http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif. Images of sketches and handwritten pages are encouraged http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

First to post was Ace_Hyflyer and I copied his diary below...

11-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Starting with Ace_Hyflyer's diary:

Campaign: Air Scout
Missions survived: 10
Outcome: KIA


To the family of Starshiy Leitenant Ace Hyflyer,

I am sorry to inform you that your son, Ace Hyflyer, was shot down early yesterday morning. He was participating in a highly dangerous volunteer mission to retrieve a crash-landed BF109, and he was the first to volunteer. Your son flew and acted with Honor, Dignity, and Loyalty. We will miss him.

This diary was found in his bunk, and is being returned to you, along with his personal effects.

With Deepest Regrets,

Igor Balashinov, Commanding Officer of the 43rd IAP


July 1st, 1941, 08:00 Hours

The war began a week ago, or is it more now, it is hard to remember. We received the new Mig-3 aircraft a few weeks before the war started, and have been getting used to the quirks of these new aircraft. Our comrades in the second squadron did not receive any Migs, so they are still flying the old I-153.
The Mig-3 is a low-wing monoplane, very fast, it is designed for interception and is very useful for recon missions, as it can get in and out fast. It is very different from the 153, it is much faster, but the turn rate is definitely less. I am not sure which I prefer.
The airfield near Orsha was bombed yesterday, and the regiment relocated to our arifield. Those ****ed Germans destroyed all but two of our heavy bombers. They will pay for what they have done to the Rodina.
Back to the mission, HQ has ordered a recon of the road near Belavichi. They expect a German advance soon, and wish to know the disposition of the enemy to plan our defence.
Takeoff was at 0800 hours. The weather was fine, with good visibility. Broken clouds around 1000 m. I got off the ground quickly, the Mig-3 accelerates very easily. Immediately after take off I swung 90 degrees to the left to pick up the road towards Belunchi.
After a few seconds, I saw the road ahead of me, and turned to follow it. After a few minutes, the bridge across the Malaya Dvina river came into view. I corrected my course to head towards Belunchi.
After a while, the smog from Belunchi appears, followed by the city itself. I swung right to head towards the road to Belavichi.
I passed the bridge near Belunchi, and drop down lower, to build up some speed. After I followed the road for a while, I saw dust from moving vehicles ahead. I dropped down to ground level and intercepted them.
I saw several rows of trucks, with a few flak tanks. I shot my three pairs of rockets into the nearest convoy, and saw several trucks explode before I broke away.
I continued following the road towards Belavichi, and spotted several more sets of trucks, and a few sets of heavy tanks. We will have trouble deflecting all of this.
I crossed over Belavichi and swung around to head for Belunchi. As I did I habitually checked around, to search for enemy fighters. I was not expecting any, so my heart froze as I saw four enemy fighters incoming over my left wing.
I recovered pretty quickly and training kicked in. I dove for the ground, and headed towards Belunchi as fast as I ccould.
The next few minutes were the longest of my life, but eventually I spotted Belunchi ahead. Just as I passed the city, I felt several rounds impact my plane. I jumped centimeters out of my seat and took evasive action.
Then, like angels from above, I saw my comrades from the second squadron in 153s diving on the enemy. I have never been so happy to see anyone. I extend away, as I was ordered to stay away from fighters.
My comrades, are radioing for help, and I couldn't leave them. With a cry, I turned around and headed for the nearest enemy.
The next few minutes, or was it hours, were confusing, but I remember dogfighting with several targets. I saw my comrades destroy two 109s in the fight, and then I saw a 109 heading out of a cloud towards me.
I swung towards him, and managed to land a few hits. He dove towards the ground, and I got on his tail, after a few seconds of chasing, I closed to guns range, and sprayed him with heavy machine gun fire. I saw rounds impacting on his tailplane, and then the whole thing came off.
I watched the 109 plummet to the ground. Then suddenly, I remembered there must be one more left. I searched the skies, but cannot see anyone. Suddenly I realize my heart is pounding, and I am sweating all over.
I spotted Belunchi in the distance, and headed towards it. Then I radioed for a vector to home base. I heard command give a vector, and I swung onto it. After a few minutes, I saw my airfield come into view. I landed and taxied to my spot, and then went to file my report, and get confirmation of that 109 kill.
I have had my first combat experience, and all my comrades made it home! I stand the two pilots from the second squadron to a few vodkas, and salute their help earlier!


July 1st, 1941 1000 hours.

I had gotten back from my recon a little earlier, and we were getting ready to attack the German ground units I had spotted.
Suddenly, as I started getting ready to fly, we heard a low drone, coming from the east. We soon IDed it as a German recon plane. I jumped into the nearest ready plane, a MiG, and started up.
Just as I finished warming up, a Ju88 shot by, only meters above my plane, and his rear gunner started shooting. A line of dust kicked up only centimeters from my wing, and narrowly missed my comrades starting my plane.
I still shudder to think of what happened. I had my canopy open! If that gunner had aimed a meter to the right, I would have died in a hail of lead, coming straight into the cockpit.
Goodbye Mladshiy Leitenent Hyflyer, no awards, no promotions, just bleeding to death on my own airfield. Not exactly a very good way to die!
Enough of my reflections, I quickly taxied to the runway, and got into the air. By that time, the German was just a dot in the sky, staying low to the ground.
As I started closing, he turned north, and followed the Dvina Malaya river. I closed slowly. I was chafing at the delay. The longer it took, the closer he got to radioing back our position.
Eventually I got close enough that I thought I might be able to hit him with the rockets I was carrying for the ground attack mission we were preparing for. I shot one pair of rockets, as I was still a little out of effective range, and was incredibly surprised to see a massive fireball appear in front of me.
Once the smoke cleared, I saw the bomber going down, minus a wing. I watched the crew jump out, and wished them well.
I radioed back to base, and got a vector. After a minute or so, I saw the base come into view, and a made a nice landing shortly after.
Back to preparing to attack those convoys! Our MiGs have never been tested in the Sturmovik role. We shall see how they perform soon!


July 1st, 1941 1600 Hours

At 1600 hours, we were finally ready to attack the ground units that my recon had discovered.
Our six planes took off just after 1600 hours. We are armed with RS-82 rockets to use against the AAA tanks that will be guarding the soft trucks.
As we transit to the target, I tick off our waypoints. Bridge over the Malaya Dvina river, check. Belunchi, Check. Then, the bridge where the ground units were last sighted came into view.
Our leaders called out the beginning of our attack runs. The first flight went in first, and announced kills. Then, our second flight started in. I lined up on a tank, and released a pair of rockets, I saw targets go up in smoke, and I pulled up.
I extended away, then came in for another flak supression run. I took out a tank, and more trucks, but was hit a few times. I checked around, and couldn't see any major damage.
I then attacked a few trucks with machine gun fire, and destroyed several.
I came around again, and lined up on another flak tank. I destroyed the tank, and about 6 trucks, but was hit several more times. Luckily, nothing seemed to be a problem.
I came around one more time, and lined up on the largest concentration of trucks that I could see. I hit several, but the remaining tanks hit me in the engine. I could see grey smoke coming out of my exhaust, and see fuel leaking from my wings.
Time to head home! I put my nose down, and took out a couple of trucks which happened to be in my way, and called command for a vector to home base.
They responded, Vector 090, Good Luck! I swung around, and started pleaded my engine not to quit. I looked around, and luckily there were no enemy fighters in the area.
As I passed over Belunchi, my engine started to make ominous screeching noises. I started doubting that I would make it to base.
I made a correction to my course, and continued to try to get to my airfield. However, my engine trouble was getting worse by the minute, and my airspeed was dropping alarmingly. I put down flaps and gear, and made an emergency landing.
I hopped out of the plane, and climbed the nearest hill, from there I saw my airfield, not more than a kilometer away. I walked to my airfield, and arranged a transport to pick up my wounded MiG.
I don't think we got all the ground units, but we got ****ed close. The Germans will think twice before trying that again!
I found out later that I had been awarded the Order of the Red Banner, for my part in stopping the German advance! We will celebrate tonight!


July 2nd, 1941 0730 Hours

I am still slightly drunk from the celebrations last night. Our two flights received the Order of the Red Banner for our part in the attack on the German ground units yesterday.
Today, we are tasked with a high-altitude interception of Ju87 dive bombers. Finally we get to use the MiG where it belongs!
Weather at takeoff is clear, a few clouds here and there. Our two flights take off and form up. We climb up to 2,500 meters, and begin our patrol, covering the area north-west of Belunchi.
After about five minutes of patrolling, we spot several groups of unidentified aircraft. We accelerate and intercept them.
As we get closer, we ID them as three flights of Stukas escorted by two 109s. We head for the Stukas, as they are our primary objective. We must not allow them to get through and attack Belunchi and our surrounding ground forces.
The next 15 minutes are difficult to remember. I have a clear recollection of downing one Stuka in flames, missing a wing, and shooting the rudder off of another.
I remember making several passes, and downing more planes, I just can't quite make out the details.
Then, I have a clear recollection of lining up on one Stuka, near the head of the group. I pumped lead into his tailplane, and the entire thing separated from the plane. I watched him lazily plummet to the earth, with two parachutes appearing a few moments later.
I looked around, and suddenly the air was empty. I couldn't see a thing anywhere. I quickly searched behind me, and luckily there were no enemy fighters behind me.
I heard radio chatter from my comrades, apparently they were engaged with the escort fighters. Moments later, I heard shouts of success as both 109s were brought down!
I looked at the landmarks near me, and compared them to my map. I found that I was several kilometers south of Beluchi, and plotted a course back to my airfield.
After a few minutes, the runway came into sight, and I radioed for clearance to land. I landed, and taxied to my waiting ground crew. The greeted me with the news that I had six confirmed kills! I was exited and joked with them, telling them of my experience up there.
Then, as I got out, I noticed several bullet holes in my engine, and grey smoke pouring from the exhaust. In all the exitement, I must have missed the bullets that hit my plane!
I also noticed something that made my blood run cold. There was a bullet hole in my canopy, not 15 centimeters from where my head would normally be. My guardian angel must have been smiling on me today!
Afterwards, the CO came up to me, and told me that I had been promoted to Leitenant, for my valiant efforts. The vodkas will be on me tonight!


July 3rd, 1941. 0630 hours

Over the last few days, the lack of preparation has been becoming clearer. Every day, more and more of our planes become unusable because of battle damage.
Our mechanics are doing their best, but there are not enough parts to go around. There is no way they can repair all of our planes. Two of our bombers are useless, they have no bomb racks.
Our fuel supply is also dangerously low. Our mechanics often have to travel to the site of a crash to repair our aircraft.
The mission today was an attack on the artillery near Belunchi. The Germans are trying to cross the Malaya Dvina river near Belunchi, and our troops, being worn out, have retired over the river into the city. Early this morning German artillery opened up on the city, killing civilians and military people indiscriminitely. The Germans will have a lot to pay for.
Weather at takeoff was hazy, with visibility being decent, but not very good. Navigating was tricky.
After taking off we formed up and proceed to Belunchi. Once we reached Belunchi we started our attack run.
I proceeded a little farther than my comrades, to set up a better angle for attack. The artillery is next to a forest, and I wanted a larger margin for error.
My comrades made their first pass, and I saw their rockets blow up two pairs of tanks. I then shot my first pair of rockets, towards the artillery pieces at the end of the line. ****, I was too far away, and missed.
I closed a little more, and shot my second pair of rockets. I saw something explode, but I also felt my MiG being hit by the enemy AAA guns. My comrades started yelling at me to return to base. My engine was hit and was trailing a nasty looking smoke trail.
I swung around towards Belunchi, and as I passed, shot my last pair of rockets into the artillery, and hit one more artillery piece.
I reached Belunchi, and called command for a vector to home base. I swung around and started pleading with my engine to bring me home.
As I passed the bridge over the Malaya Dvina river, my engine started screaming in a tortured voice, and I started weeping at the punishment my trusty companion is enduring.
Finally, I spotted my airfield close by, and lined up for an emergency landing. I was on a bad approach, but I was in no position to go around. Just as I passed the beginning of the runway, my engine seized completely and the prop stopped.
I made the roughest landing of my life, and called my ground crew to come and tow my poor plane to be repaired. The head mechanic came up to me later, and told me that he had seen tanks be destroyed by less damage than my plane had soaked up!
Later I found out I was credited for 4 enemy artillery kills, and celebrated with my comrades!


July 3rd, 1941 1730 Hours.

New orders have been posted, stemming from an incident where an entire flight of MiGs were shot down on landing when they were low on ammo.
The leader of the second flight is being court marshaled before a military tribunal for failing to give appropriate cover.
As a result, two plane flights are to be performing patrols over our airbase.
The first patrol fell to me and my leader. As we prepared for the patrol, we heard sound of approaching German engines. Bombers!!!
We tried to get in the air as fast as we could, but the bombers got here too quickly and laid their dangerous eggs. Several bombers and fighters were destroyed.
After we got into the air, I swung behind a nearby 109 who had dropped bombs which nearly annihalated my comrade and I.
I was slow, so it took several circles to get within closing distance. While I was chasing him, he used his guns to destroy another plane on the ground.
Eventually I caught up to him, and removed his wing. I watched him plummet to the earth. I saw no parachute, and suddenly felt very sorry for the poor pilot.
I scanned the skies, and everything appeared clear, so I assumed my patrol. My leader was off somewhere, so I was on my own.
I followed the Malaya Dvina river north, for a few minutes. As I was about to turn around and head home, I spotted two aircraft duelling in the distance. That must be my leader and the other 109.
I quickly headed to his aid, and managed to destroy the 109 in several passes. After that, command radioed us to return to base and reload.
We had an uneventful flight back to base, and landed easily. Back to preparing for our next fight.


July 3rd, 1941 7:30 PM

Well, our situation is very grim. We survived the attack, but our fuel supply is now destroyed. We are in great danger of being encircled.
I am not sure what the future has in store. I am worried about what will happen in the next few days. I have a premonition that something big is about to happen, something soon. I cannot put a finger on it, but I hope we will persevere.
Late on the 3rd, we were called to scramble to destroy the incoming paratrooper transports.
I am ehausted from my ordeal, and do not have the strength to write much. I remember short flashes, here and there, of the ensuing dogfight.
I remember downing several transport planes, with one on fire, and several tailplanes seperating. I also remember my leader getting damaged early in the fight, and returning to base.
After shooting down the transports, I engaged the 109s that had been dogging me, and landing hits for a while.
I shot down one in flames, and got on the tail of the other one, but my ammo ran out.
I disengaged, and immediately headed for base, praying that I would get away. I managed to get to base, and landed.
When I got out and walked around my plane, I was amazed at the damage. My tail was shot to bits, my engine was missing a cylinder, and my fueltank was holed. I am lucky I'm alive!
I found out later that night that I had been promoted to Starshiy Leitenant and awarded the Order of the Red Star for my meritorious conduct in destroying the transports.
I must rest, before I have a breakdown. The past few days have worn me down to a ragged, half-person. I am jumping at every shadow. I only hope I can survive the next few days!


July 4th, 1941 0145 Hours

Well, my feeling was right! At 0145 this morning, we received word that the enemy had encircled us, and was attacking the airbase. As I tried to shake of sleep, I heard tank fire.
We quickly ran to our MiGs, which were being refueled as we spoke. Our last fuel tanker was trying to give us enough fuel to get to Tyomniy Les airfield. As we were on the runway, waiting for the fuel transfer to complete, I watched the fire from the attacking tanks get closer and closer.
At one point I felt my MiG shake like a leaf, I though I had been shot, but somehow I managed to avoid being hit! Then, I saw a shell go right across my windsheild, and hit the fuel tanker next to me.
The explosion washed over me, luckily my canopy was down. I checked quickly, and my wingman checked as well. I didn't seem to be damaged.
I ordered my wingman to get out of his plane and try to escape with the ground personell, without fuel he would be as good as dead if he tried to escape in the air.
I got into the air, and swung around onto heading 70. My fuel gauge was only a centimeter away from empty, and going down steadily. I started praying that I could make it to base.
The weather was horrible, thunderstorms were everywhere, and lightning was flashing around my cockpit.
After a while, I came to a peculiar twist of the river, which told me exactly where I was. My fuel was almost gone, so I started to climb, in case I had to glide into base.
I started peering through the clouds to try and spot the base. Finally it came into sight, and I lined up for a sloppy emergency landing.
As I lined up, and bolt of lightning hit the ground so close, I could feel it. Several of the gauges were shaken out of alignment, and I was slightly blinded.
I continued for landing, but misjudged on account of the lightning strike, and lost my gear and parts of the wings.
My CO will not be happy about this! At least I made it out alive! I hope my wingman and our ground crew were able to escape. To think of what they might be subjected to, in a German POW camp makes my blood run cold.


July 6th, 1941. 08:45 hours
****, only myself and one I-153 pilot made it to our new airbase. We don't know what happened to the other pilots, and whether they got away, but my blood boils to think of what the Germans are doing to the Rodina.
We weren't warmly received at Tyomniy Les, especially after I totalled my poor MiG. The NKVD wouldn't leave us alone. He debreifed me for most of yesterday, explaining my story of how I left the airfield and made it to the base.
Luckily, the bomber regiment commander backed us up. After a good nights sleep, I am ready for action again. Luckily, the ground crew was able to get my MiG back in working order!
The Germans are advancing quickly, and the battle is continuing near Mostok. Our mission for today was to deny the use of the bridge west of Mostok.
Myself and my comrade in his I-153 prepared for takeoff at 08:45 and got ready to attack the bridge.
After takeoff we navigated to Mostok and I went to full throttle. Our plan was for me to try and take out the bridge, and for him to continue if I missed.
As I got closer, the 88mm flak guns the Germans had set up started firing. My pulse and heartbeat started racing as I got closer, and the deadly puffballs got closer.
As I closed on the bridge, I saw a group of enemy trucks crossing near the center. I lined up on them, and shot my three pairs of rockets. I took out the entire bridge underneath them, and denied the Germans the bridge and supplies at the same time.
I quickly swung around and beat a hasty retreat from the flak and enemy planes. I contacted Babni airfield, where we were being transferred, and requested a vector.
After a long flight, made more difficult because I had lost my maps for the Babni area in the attack on our airbase, I sighted Babni airfield in the distance and navigated in for a smooth touchdown. Unfortunately, my comrade didn't turn up, and I later learned he had been shot down by flak over the bridge.
**** the German swine, and **** this god forsaken war. All my friends, gone within days. I am the only one left. I will continue on in the memory of my comrades, and they will be revenged. I swear it on everything I hold dear!


July 7th, 1941. 10:00 Hours

When we arrived at Babni, I was notified that I was enlisted in the 43rd IAP. The regiment has just repositioned from the Far East, and are still equipped with the I-16s. However, they are extremely experienced, and can do things with their Ishaks that I have never seen!
I have done some reconnaissance around our airfield, for enemy aerodromes, but found only broken and abandoned ones.
At 09:45 hours, we received a message from the observation stations on the front, that a large group of enemy bombers was heading towards Smolensk. We were ordered to take off immediately and intercept. If we let those bombers get through, hundreds of innocent civilian lives will be lost, as well as hundreds of our comrades.
The bombers were observed flying at 2500 meters, so I can use the MiG at its preferred height!
We took off at 10:00 hours, and followed our plotted intercept course. A few minutes after we reached 2500 meters, we saw a group of about 11 bogeys, to the right and slightly lower.
We approached, and soon ID'd them as the enemy bomber formation. I had never seen so many bombers in the air at once!
I lined up on the rear bombers, and saw my comrades in their I-16s hit two bombers with rockets. I watched them go spinning down.
I lined up on the first bomber in my sights, and fired my rockets. ****, they missed! I continued on to the second bomber, and scored a direct hit. Then, I tried to hit the last bomber in the rear group, but I was in a bank, and my bracketed him above and below.
I can't remember everything that happened, but I remember making several more passes, getting a bomber on almost every one, and watching my comrades mop up the rest.
It dawned on me that my wingmen in their I-16s were not around, and must be engaging the escort fighters, and the friendly aircraft around me were the new LaGG-3 design. They looked sleek and deadly, although not as streamlined as my MiG!
I heard reports from my comrades that things were going well, and a radio transmission from the observation stations that we had repulsed the enemy bombers.
I headed for home, and made a neat landing. Off to my bunk to get some much needed sleep.
After I had rested, my CO informed me that I had been awarded both the Hero of the Soviet Union and the Order of Lenin for my courageous work today!


12-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Good stuff man, i wish i was creative enough to write something like this, but alas, i am not...

Maybe someday...

12-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks mate,

The funny thing is, I didn't think I was either!!!

Cya round,

12-31-2005, 01:41 PM
My own did diary:

Dec 31, 2005
New valve cover gasket needed on truck. No games today. I'll try again tomorrow.

01-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Now that is some serious writing,
I do what you do but only with a screenshot and one or 2 paragraphs.

01-04-2006, 07:43 AM
Nice stuff, I didn`t think i would, but I read all of it. I might try this myself if I have time.

01-04-2006, 09:53 AM
(Sarcasm on)

I got shot down whilst playing DiD in my Stang, so I got my 10 gauge shotgun and blew my brains out.

(Sarcasm off)