PDA

View Full Version : Which Graphics Card?

SHMall35
01-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi all, this is my first post here.
Was told by a mate to buy IL2 Sturmovik FB, which I did and it toally blew me away, AWESOME combat flight sim indeed.
Was so hooked I also went out the other day and bought AEP for FB and also PACIFIC FLIGHTER's, WOW.....great stuff indeed.
What I need to know thuogh is which Graphics card runs these CBFS best?
NV6800u or ATI X800XT?
I am going to buy a new one asap because my card is just not quite fast enuogh these days.

Thanks for any help.

Simon

SHMall35
01-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi all, this is my first post here.
Was told by a mate to buy IL2 Sturmovik FB, which I did and it toally blew me away, AWESOME combat flight sim indeed.
Was so hooked I also went out the other day and bought AEP for FB and also PACIFIC FLIGHTER's, WOW.....great stuff indeed.
What I need to know thuogh is which Graphics card runs these CBFS best?
NV6800u or ATI X800XT?
I am going to buy a new one asap because my card is just not quite fast enuogh these days.

Thanks for any help.

Simon

ddsflyer
01-04-2005, 04:05 PM
As long as you have the processor speed, bus speed and memory to back it up, it really doesn't matter. I prefer the ATI card myself however it will not utilize Shader 3.0 which PF uses to render the water at "perfect" settings. Both cards give comparable framerates but there is some consensus that ATI has a slight edge in image quality and better AA and AF implementation. Right now the X800XTPE is much harder to find than the GF6800U is.

RocketDog
01-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Both are excellent cards and you would not be disappointed with either. The 6800Ultra will let you use the beautiful water=3 setting which looks great but is such a drag on frame rates that it's only good for screenshots except at stupidly low resolution. The X800XT can't use water=3, but arguably has slightly better image quality and is probably a few FPS faster in PF. It can still use water =0, 1 or 2, of course.

If it was me, I'd probably go for the X800XT, but they are so close that it's very much a matter of personal preference.

Regards,

RocketDog.

SHMall35
01-05-2005, 02:08 AM
Thanks guys, think I will try the X800XT then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Simon