PDA

View Full Version : Okha Easy Kill?

ytareh
01-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Well why not try set up four of these against you in your fighter of choice.Obviously they have no defensive armament but thats not the only quirk...Their rocket engines seem to cut in and out every few seconds spewing out smoke which makes them invisible from the rear.In my game the smoke has a funny stippled/feathered appearance which I posted about elsewhere.Their speed is surprisingly low and apparently uneffected by the rockets!And they are very small....So not that easy....Try it!

ytareh
01-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Well why not try set up four of these against you in your fighter of choice.Obviously they have no defensive armament but thats not the only quirk...Their rocket engines seem to cut in and out every few seconds spewing out smoke which makes them invisible from the rear.In my game the smoke has a funny stippled/feathered appearance which I posted about elsewhere.Their speed is surprisingly low and apparently uneffected by the rockets!And they are very small....So not that easy....Try it!

Saunders1953
01-26-2006, 05:30 PM
ytareh:

Ohka's were developed to glide to the target. Tactical doctrine was to drop from about 18,000 feet and glide to the target with about 30 seconds of fuel for last minute manuevering. From that height they could glide up to 35 kilometers, IIRC. So yes, they and their mother ships were both vunerable. That's why there aren't that many successful attacks by them, overall.

The pulsing flames is the engine on idle, so to speak.