PDA

View Full Version : FW-190 vs F4U

Jason Bourne
12-06-2004, 08:31 AM
Any one tried this yet? im interested in seeing how the 190 stacks up against one of the best fighters in the pascific (IMNSHO). I am also interested in how the version of the 190 and corsair matters, and how they do against RN Corsairs.

HayateAce
12-06-2004, 08:59 AM
The Corsair will dispatch the 190 with relative ease, depending on the scenario. This is well documented and historically accurate.

TX-WarHawk
12-06-2004, 09:02 AM
In what kind of situation, and using what tactics?

TAGERT.
12-06-2004, 09:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TX-WarHawk:
In what kind of situation, and using what tactics? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>As for real life situations and tatics see here

http://web.cetlink.net/~howardds/id88.htm

As for game situations and tatics.. Hard to tell, in that I dont Oleg's team is dont sucking some of the life out of the F4u yet. Wait until next patch, then we plan on running some tests to see if it hits the numbers

Saburo_0
12-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Tagert,
S! to you for testing these planes, makes PF much better than it would be.

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 09:31 AM
The Corsair climbs to altitude much faster than the 190. If both planes take off at the same time and head towards each there is no way for the 190 to win, its totally outclassed by the Corsair at low and medium altitudes (haven't tested at high but I'm sure the Corsair continues to dominate). If the 190 is given time to climb to say 5000M, it is possible for a good 190 pilot to destroy the Corsair just like any other plane through boom and zoom tactics.

A 109 v. a F4u there is no contest. The 109 is the superior AC. The difference in weight and that fact that it has excellent speed and excellent altitude performance coupled with a superior turning radius when compared witht he Corsair, makes it all but unbeatable by a f4u pilot.

This all assumes that the two planes are on an equal footing and that the pilots are of equal ability. I have no doubt that a good Corsair pilot can easily dispatch weaker pilots in the 190s and 109s. The same can be said of the good 190 pilots against the Corsair. Relative altitudes and speeds are also a big factor just like every other fight. My observations are based on one-on-one online combats in which both aircraft were at the same altitude and speed going head-to-head when the fight started.

Spinnetti
12-06-2004, 09:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Bourne:
Any one tried this yet? im interested in seeing how the 190 stacks up against one of the best fighters in the pascific (IMNSHO). I am also interested in how the version of the 190 and corsair matters, and how they do against RN Corsairs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I only fly the 190A5, and have tried against all the variants of the corsair.. Its one tough opponent. I fly full 'real', and they are not as tough as some of the russian stuff (LA7), but they are as tough as the P47 and a lot more agile. Flying against ace AI, I can still take 4 of them to one of me, but its quite a fight.

VW-IceFire
12-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Which FW190?

The Antons seem outclassed by the Corsair in most respects except firepower (except for the Corsair 1C). The Dora appears to accelerate faster but the Corsair has advantage in turn and it appears to have a similar climb.

Online, I've had a VERY hard time trying to get rid of a Corsair on my six. And the Corsair is very tough. I think tougher than the FW190 and similar to the P-47.

Abbuzze
12-06-2004, 10:04 AM
This 1944 tests were made between an 190A5/U4 and F4U-1D, would be interesting what happend if they tested an A8 with more hp.
The A8 was a worse turner compared to the A5, but cause even the A5 was outturned with ease, it doesnâ´t matter http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-06-2004, 10:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spinnetti:
corsair.. Its one tough opponent....and they are not as tough as some of the russian stuff (LA7), but they are as tough as the P47 and a lot more agile. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgive me, but are you suggesting the La7 it a tougher plane than the P-47 or that it's just a tougher opponent? With the exception of the 190 F8, the Jug is the toughest fighter in the game...IMO of course.

TB

mortoma
12-06-2004, 10:44 AM
I have tried it many times against AI in QMB, always flying the FW. We always blow the Corsiar out of the air. However, if they were humans flying the Corsair, things might turn out differently. But as far a turn rate there is no clear advantage. As far as firepower, well that goes to the FW. Although the firepower of the FW is somewhat degraded by the fact it's a horrible gun platform. Hard to get that nose settled down quickly to get your guns on target effectively.
The Corsair has less effective guns ( except F4U-1C ) but it's a stable, solid gun platform
Human against human, it would go to the one who's the best pilot and knows their plane the best. Later FWs ( A9/D9s ) are way faster and can dictate the terms of engagment/disengagement.

Loki-PF
12-06-2004, 10:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TAGERT.:
. Hard to tell, in that I dont Oleg's team is dont sucking some of the life out of the F4u yet. Wait until next patch, then we plan on running some tests to see if it hits the numbers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tagert,

did you mean to say, "I don't *know if* Oleg's team is *done* sucking some of the life out of the F4u yet."?

If I read you correctly, do you think it was really de-featured between patches? If so do you think it was in 3.01 or 3.02? I'm asking because I've mostly been flying Wildcats and earlywar stuff....

Spinnetti
12-06-2004, 11:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spinnetti:
corsair.. Its one tough opponent....and they are not as tough as some of the russian stuff (LA7), but they are as tough as the P47 and a lot more agile. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgive me, but are you suggesting the La7 it a tougher plane than the P-47 or that it's just a tougher opponent? With the exception of the 190 F8, the Jug is the toughest fighter in the game...IMO of course.

TB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, no no... The P47 is the air tank, but easier to best than the LA7... I think the P47 is 'physically' one of the toughest as well..

I also think the corsair is just about as tough, and handles a lot better, thus a more difficult opponent overall.

Stiglr
12-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Loki,

All that whimpering for a F4U-4 cannon bird has finally affected his higher brain functions.

Hunde_3.JG51
12-06-2004, 11:24 AM
The Corsair is very similar in performance to A-5 and A-6, it just handles alot better so it holds an edge over those two.

The A-9 and the Dora are faster, and if flown correctly outclass the F4U IMHO.

Platypus_1.JaVA
12-06-2004, 11:37 AM
The FW190 in PF eats the corsair for lunch, be sure!

4X20mm against 6X.50"

I've tried this several times

lrrp22
12-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Has anyone noticed the the F4U is totally outclassed in max dive speed compared to other late-war US/Luftwaffe aircraft? Even the Ki-84 has a higher breakup speed. The Ki's dive advantage is compounded by the fact that the Corsair begins to shutter heavily well before the Ki.

All contemporary sources cite the Corsair as a thoroughly outstanding diver.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Bourne:
Any one tried this yet? im interested in seeing how the 190 stacks up against one of the best fighters in the pascific (IMNSHO). I am also interested in how the version of the 190 and corsair matters, and how they do against RN Corsairs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VW-IceFire
12-06-2004, 11:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:
The FW190 in PF eats the corsair for lunch, be sure!

4X20mm against 6X.50"

I've tried this several times <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ummm try the F4U-1C and come back...we'll talk http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Biloxi72
12-06-2004, 12:08 PM
S!
Should the late war german planes not out perform the mid to early late war corsairs? I mean when you think of it the corsair is a pacific plane, and also by the time the f4u1d came out in early 44 there was no real need to improve upon it. The germans however were still trying to compete and thus the doras came out. I think it is unfair to compare the late war german craft to the corsair. The corsair by what some people have said out classes the 190 of similar time period. To have a similar comparsion for the late 190's go with the f4u-4 (thats right i said it lol).

I will use this opportunity to say give the US their late war planes, every other country has theirs. They dont have to be on servers unless the host wants them. But just like all die hard 190 pilotswanted the ta 152, we want our f4u-4s and i guess the late jugs as well.

Loki-PF
12-06-2004, 12:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lrrp22:
Has anyone noticed the the F4U is totally outclassed in max dive speed compared to other late-war US/Luftwaffe aircraft? Even the Ki-84 has a higher breakup speed. The Ki's dive advantage is compounded by the fact that the Corsair begins to shutter heavily well before the Ki.

All contemporary sources cite the Corsair as a thoroughly outstanding diver. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I gotta get Fenris on the hook tonight! I smell another comparitive Dive test coming on........

Loki-PF
12-06-2004, 12:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
Loki,

All that whimpering for a F4U-4 cannon bird has finally affected his higher brain functions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How are ya going to have a "historic" and "authentic" or "realistic" 1945 Okinawa, or Kyushu campaign without the F4U-4 Stig?

There are quite a few threads recently blossoming regarding the coming Late war Jpn fighters, but I have yet to see you show up in any of those to decry their irrelivance or too-uberness? Why the bias against the F4U-4?

Ruy Horta
12-06-2004, 12:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
Loki,

All that whimpering for a F4U-4 cannon bird has finally affected his higher brain functions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The cannon variant of the dash-4 did not see combat service in WW2, that's a mistake that's being copied by a lot of authors. I've discussed this issue with USN WW2 a/c expert and writer Barrett Tillman and he agrees.

BSS_Vidar
12-06-2004, 12:49 PM
I flew a Corsair vs. a 190. I was able to pounce with ease; however, in a co-alt engagement he out-ran and out climbed me. Also his roll rate is still more superior to a 'sair. Flying the C version is refreshing due to less time required on target to effectivley kill him. But, for some reason I do think the 50 cal in PF fighters is a tad more effective that FB 50 cal. I recently battered a 109 with all eight 50 cals from a P-47D-27, and it took almost all my ammo. A good well known pilot watched this engagement from above and couldn't believe the 109 flew away.

I flew 1-on-1 with a gent in a sair vs a 109G6. No contest! Got my butt schwaked every time. Start was mid-field side-by-side on the ground then took off in oposite directions, then turned into each other at co-alt. The guy was using an alias, because I remembered his distict tactic being used from another 1v1 engagement.

He finally got tired of that then switched to the same model Corsair I was in - the 1A. Same start senerio. Once head to head he went into his wacky tactic - which is in no way realistic, but a gamming ploy. I started having my suspicions when he in no doubt had alot more energy than I did and could out climb my sair by more than 500 ft. I sacrificed one sortie to see if I could match his climb. Nuttin' doin'. Bear in mind, I stayed at full throttle from take-off run all the way to the head-to-head engagement. He never got above me, so I am suspicious of this guy having so much more energy than me from a cold start side-by-side on the deck.

Sorry for getting a little side tracked, but I wanted people to know that their are a few out their not playing nice. Plus I needed to vent. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

S!

Vidar

robban75
12-06-2004, 03:02 PM
I have noticed that, if I keep the E up in the Dora the Corsair can be kept at a comfortable distance most of the times, and dictating the fight is possible. It's remarkable what a 15km/h faster topspeed can do eh! As for the Corsair being equal to the D-9 in the climb, not really.

Here are some times

D-9 '45 and Corsair MKIV

1000 - :45 - :52
2000 - 1:34 - 1:51
3000 - 2:27 - 2:50
4000 - 3:13 - 3:45
5000 - 4:02 - 4:46

The Corsair has on the otherhand much better handling and is alot more stable. The D-9 being probably the most unstable airplane in the game in any axis, very un-historical. As for visibility from the cockpit, again no contest. The Fw 190 suffering from the most klaustrofobic prison avaliable. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif But let's not get into that.

Loki-PF
12-06-2004, 03:20 PM
yet another great illustration of why it would nice AND fair to have a 1945 era Corsair! Thanks for the climb test Robban75

faustnik
12-06-2004, 03:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robban75:
As for visibility from the cockpit, again no contest. The Fw 190 suffering from the most klaustrofobic prison avaliable. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif But let's not get into that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to disagree with you on this one Robban. I very used to the 190 forward view, I have no issue with it. The rear view on the F4U is an entirely different matter! Who put that stupid plate over the top of the Corsair canopy and what does it do? It certainly does not protect you from PKs!

BSS_Vidar
12-06-2004, 03:57 PM
I allways fight with the canopy rolled back. As far as the myth goes about it slowing the plane down, It doesn't in-game. I've made several speed runs re-positioning the canopy. No effect on speed.

HayateAce
12-06-2004, 04:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BSS_Vidar:
He never got above me, so I am suspicious of this guy having so much more energy than me from a cold start side-by-side on the deck.

Sorry for getting a little side tracked, but I wanted people to know that their are a few out their not playing nice. Plus I needed to vent. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

S!

Vidar <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vidar, I believe I know exactly the "gentleman" you speak of. If so, at least 3 other FB players can add almost the same account you've given here. Yes, some players are enjoying some kind of false boost.

Ah well, if they need it that bad, then have at it!

TAGERT.
12-06-2004, 10:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Saburo_0:
Tagert,
S! to you for testing these planes, makes PF much better than it would be. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank You Saburo! I just wish more peeps did it! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TAGERT.
12-06-2004, 10:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abbuzze:
This 1944 tests were made between an 190A5/U4 and F4U-1D, would be interesting what happend if they tested an A8 with more hp. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Would be interesting if they tested an A8 with a -4 that had about twice the climb rate of the -1s.

TAGERT.
12-06-2004, 10:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Loki-PF:
Tagert,

did you mean to say, "I don't *know if* Oleg's team is *done* sucking some of the life out of the F4u yet."? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Roger.. my bad typing combined with my bad spelling makes for a hard read! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Loki-PF:
If I read you correctly, do you think it was really de-featured between patches? If so do you think it was in 3.01 or 3.02? I'm asking because I've mostly been flying Wildcats and earlywar stuff.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have not done any real testing to say one way or the other.. But the trend seems to be inital release the US planes kick some A.. After a few patches they dont. But like I said, just a feeling, no testing to suport that theory. But, I plan on testing out the F4u relitive to some RL data once the next patch is out.

TAGERT.
12-06-2004, 10:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ruy Horta:
The cannon variant of the dash-4 did not see combat service in WW2, that's a mistake that's being copied by a lot of authors. I've discussed this issue with USN WW2 a/c expert and writer Barrett Tillman and he agrees. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have not seen anything that says the -4 cannon F4u did or did not see action.. But the -1 cannon F4u did for sure.

Hunde_3.JG51
12-06-2004, 11:18 PM
"Would be interesting if they tested an A8 with a -4 that had about twice the climb rate of the -1s."

Both the A-9 and D-9 began combat operations before the F4U-4. I believe deliveries of the F4U-4 began in November of '44 but I don't think it actually started flying combat mission until '45. For that matter deliveries of the Ta-152H began in early '45 and I'm not sure how close the the Ta-152 and F4U-4 were in terms of beginning combat sorties.

Before anyone says anything I am huge fan of both planes, the FW-190 is my absolute favorite and the Corsair is my favorite in the Pacific. I also love the B-25. I don't fly the cannon armed variants of the Corsair because only 200 were produced and saw limited action, nor do I fly the Ta-152H much for the same reason.

I do agree that the U.S. should get the P-47N or F4U-4 due to the fact that the Ta-152H and Ki-100 are in (along with Ki-84c). But these late war planes don't hold much interest for me. What I really enjoy is the '42 and '43 stuff but they seem to be rare on non-Pacific servers (especially '42).

Oh, and I agree with Faustnik, the 190 has excellent all-around view compared to Corsair and it is a factor. I just wish we had a "lean" button to get around bar of 190 and to increase view a little out of Corsair. I also agree with Robban about 190D instability, that one was always a mystery to me.

Loki-PF
12-07-2004, 10:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TAGERT.:
Tagert,

did you mean to say, "I don't *know if* Oleg's team is *done* sucking some of the life out of the F4u yet."? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Roger.. my bad typing combined with my bad spelling makes for a hard read! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

If I read you correctly, do you think it was really de-featured between patches? If so do you think it was in 3.01 or 3.02? I'm asking because I've mostly been flying Wildcats and earlywar stuff.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have not done any real testing to say one way or the other.. But the trend seems to be inital release the US planes kick some A.. After a few patches they dont. But like I said, just a feeling, no testing to suport that theory. But, I plan on testing out the F4u relitive to some RL data once the next patch is out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tagert...
I understand where your coming from about waiting for the patch but do you think there is any merit in doing it now, so that *if* there is any problems we *might* get it fixed before the patch?

More than happy to do the test pilot thing again if you need any side by side taste test comparisons!

AlmightyTallest
12-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Tagert, I think Loki's right. Perhaps any current problems with other aircraft could be corrected before waiting for an additional patch further down the road.

Plus, you two are doing a great job to help make things more accurate in PF. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Keep it up!

BigKahuna_GS
12-07-2004, 01:36 PM
S!

__________________________________________________ _________________________
Loki-How are ya going to have a "historic" and "authentic" or "realistic" 1945 Okinawa, or Kyushu campaign without the F4U-4 Stig?
__________________________________________________ ________________________

Excellent Point Loki !

Those are the same reasons the P47N should also be in the sim.
It seems the 1945 Allied Aircraft are the only ones being left out of this sim: Spit14, P47N, F4U-4

____

AlmightyTallest
12-07-2004, 03:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The cannon variant of the dash-4 did not see combat service in WW2, that's a mistake that's being copied by a lot of authors. I've discussed this issue with USN WW2 a/c expert and writer Barrett Tillman and he agrees.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Corsair The F4U in World War 2 and Korea by: Barrett Tillman

Page 151 3rd paragraph:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When MAG-14 began arriving on June 8 from the Philippines, it brought a new-model Corsair to Kadena. This was the F4U-4, received by MAG-14 the previous month, distinctive with its four-blade prop and "chin" scoop for the larger carburetor on the 2,300hp Twin Wasp engine. With an astonishing 450mph speed and four 20mm cannon in the -4B model, it was just the thing to bolster the anti-kamikaze defense. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, Gibbage has posted in Tagert's F4U-4 thread, requesting anyone with cockpit info, pics, or anything relating to modeling an F4U-4 accurately to be posted over at Netwings to help any prospective modeler for this aircraft.

Here's the Netwings F4U-4 Thread: http://www.netwings.org/dcforum/DCForumID43/1279.html

mynameisroland
12-08-2004, 07:03 AM
German ace Emil Bully Lang scored 18 kills in one day.

Most Kills in one mission Erich Ruddorfer 13

http://www.acepilots.com/german/ger_aces.html

http://www.frenkenstein.com/ww2/germany/top_aces.htm

Ruy Horta
12-08-2004, 07:05 AM
I have not seen anything that says the -4 cannon F4u did or did not see action.. But the -1 cannon F4u did for sure. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The F4U-1C had its operational debut over Okinawa.

TAGERT.
12-08-2004, 09:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ruy Horta:
I have not seen anything that says the -4 cannon F4u did or did not see action.. But the -1 cannon F4u did for sure. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The F4U-1C had its operational debut over Okinawa. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Is what Im saying

faustnik
12-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Robban,

I'd love to see you do climb tests at the speeds listed in the Navy tests.

http://web.cetlink.net/~howardds/id90.htm

I'm not sure if the Navy used NE boost with the 190 here but, having this kind of direct historic comparision is great.

I have the feeling that PF matches this data fairly well. We have flowns a couple LW vs. FAA servers on squad night and the fight is very even. One thing I know for sure is that you can jump back and fourth between the Fw190 and the F4U and use the same tactics with equal success. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

robban75
12-08-2004, 02:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by faustnik:
Robban,

I'd love to see you do climb tests at the speeds listed in the Navy tests.

http://web.cetlink.net/~howardds/id90.htm

I'm not sure if the Navy used NE boost with the 190 here but, having this kind of direct historic comparision is great.

I have the feeling that PF matches this data fairly well. We have flowns a couple LW vs. FAA servers on squad night and the fight is very even. One thing I know for sure is that you can jump back and fourth between the Fw190 and the F4U and use the same tactics with equal success. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just did a climb at 380km/h which is roughly 205kts.(100% manual pitch for the A-6, OH off)

I was stunned by the results! See below!

Fw 190A-6 - F4U-1 Corsair

1000 - :55 - 1:00
2000 - 1:49 - 2:14
3000 - 2:46 - 3:22
4000 - 3:48 - 4:26
5000 - 4:49 - 5:25

Note: I'm not too familiar with the gear change in the supercharger for the Corsair, but I switched to the second stage at around 1200-1500m, and the climbed on 2:nd gear all the way to 5000m. Please let me know if this is wrong, and I'l do the test again. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

faustnik
12-08-2004, 02:55 PM
That matches the data very well. It shows that the Fw190 has a "marked superiority" under 10,000 ft and that the rates become more equal over 3,000 meters, right?

robban75
12-08-2004, 03:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by faustnik:
That matches the data very well. It shows that the Fw190 has a "marked superiority" under 10,000 ft and that the rates become more equal over 3,000 meters, right? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks that way. I did the same test with the D-9 '45, and what is interesting is at this climbing speed the A-6 is only 1 second slower reaching 3000m! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I also climbed the La-7 at 380km/h, and it was 40(!) seconds faster to 4000m compared to the D-9. It actually reached 5000m in 4:04 minutes which is equivalent to the D-9 climbing at its best climbspeed of 280km/h. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

The La-7 is a joke, there is nothing realistic about this plane in the game, it's silly. There I said it! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

faustnik
12-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Great tests Robban.

I wonder of the A4 had as big a high speed climb advantage over the Spit Vb as it should? It certainly does have an advantage.

The only part of the Navy test that does not seem to match PF is the F4U speed superiority on the deck.

mynameisroland
12-09-2004, 09:56 AM
Robban , does the FW190 A6 hold any performance
improvement over the A5 other than the outer wing MG151's?

In game ofcourse- the faster wing of the A6 mysteriously seems to only affect the FW A series when it is used on an A9 or A8