PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft what theater?

MercilessFatBoy
02-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Any one knows any website or book that covers aircraft type and where it operated from what isles? for example

Ki61 New Guinew

ki84 Formosa Philipines home islands.. so on?

any one knows?

Art-J
02-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Uh... Too general question I suppose http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif... One could write a book on it. The Ki-61 was nearly everywhere where IJAAF operated: NG, Philippines, Home Islands, except of Burma & China. Ki-43 was everywhere, and so on, and so on... I'm in the lucky position of a person who has more or less books about each of these planes in my personal "library", and If I were You I would search for separate sites about each plane as well!

Cheers - Art

icrash
02-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Exactly which/what AC? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
D3A 'Val' - were everywhere, Pearl Harbor & most carrier engagements, 652nd Kokutai @ Marianas Turkey Shoot, some were land based

H8K 'Emily' - debut from Wojte Atoll in Marshall Island for attack on Pearl Harbor, also at Bay of Bengal, Aluetian Islands, and Solomon Islands

Ki-61 'Hien' debut north coast of New Guinea by 68th & 78 Sentai, were also in the last stages of the Phillipines before being forced to Formosa & Okinawa in the last year of the war

A5M 'Claude' - was in China in 1938, supported landings in Mindanao from carrier Ryujo, also served in Malaya, Bay of Bengal, Dutch East Indies & New Britain

A6M 'Reisen' - some (A6M2) were base @ Clark Field, Phillipines; fought in China, at Pearl Harbor, Battle of Phillipine Sea, Leyte Gulf, Coral Sea, Midway, Dutch East Indies, hit Solomon Islands from carrier Zuikaku, involved in most all carrier engagements, some were land based in home islands also

G4M 'Betty' - from Saigon area the sank HMS Prince of Wales & HMS Repulse, based Kon Formosa, based Kanoya in southern Kyushu in 1943, involved at Phillipines, Rabual, New Guinea and Australia (Darwin, Australia)

B5N 'Kate' - China, hit Pearl Harbor, most carrier battles, replaced by B6N 'Jill' which was at Marianas in June of 1944, this plane was also land based and on home islands

Ki-43 'Hayabusa' - debut Malaya 1942, based in Manchukuo (Japanese puppet state, was formerly Manchuria I believe), were in Phillipines, Burma, India, New Guinea, Singapore, Dutch East Indies

Ki-84 'Hayate' - some based in Kyushu & fought over Okinawa, fought over Chinese Front, also based in Phillipines & Formosa

Most were based in home islands too, some turned into kamikaze planes as war was ending.

dglasal
02-21-2006, 07:32 PM
May I suggest picking up the following book "Japanese Army Air Force Fighter Units and Their Aces, 1931-1945"

Authors: Ikuhiko Hata, Yasuho Izawa, and Christopher Shores.

This book will tell you about everything you could ask for each fighter unit to include the type of fighter flown and when it was flown. Marry it up to areas of operations, also given, you will have your answers.

Amazon.com still carries it.

dglasal
02-21-2006, 07:33 PM
there's also "Japanese Naval Aces and Fighter Units in World War II"

Same authors, format, etc.

LEBillfish
02-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by dglasal:
May I suggest picking up the following book "Japanese Army Air Force Fighter Units and Their Aces, 1931-1945"

Authors: Ikuhiko Hata, Yasuho Izawa, and Christopher Shores.

This book will tell you about everything you could ask for each fighter unit to include the type of fighter flown and when it was flown. Marry it up to areas of operations, also given, you will have your answers.

Amazon.com still carries it.

agreed.............as to the Ki-61, don't think it ever saw action in Burma yet it was in Mongolia/China guarding the border against Russia.......Though don't believe it ever saw action there either.

VW-IceFire
02-21-2006, 09:42 PM
I'll add one to the pot.

Ki-100...served almost exclusively over the Japanese home islands...mostly around Tokyo and Kyushu island in the south. A few were sent to China...not clear on if they were ever used or not...but they were painted later in Chinese nationalist markings.