PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Take off in B-25... at all

P.FunkAdelic
08-31-2008, 01:30 PM
So I'm a noob. I know it might be hasty to try and get into medium bombers so quick but I'm kind of obsessed now since I can't take off in the B-25. Like the second I get to 100 kph or even less the thing shanks and goes off the runway. I've tried fiddling with my rudder control to trim the front wheel, I've made sure I selected both engines at once and not one at a time, I've ensured that the RPMs and manifold pressure are equal on both engines at once, I've fiddled with my Rudder settings to see if my stick wasn't responding correctly to my corrections, and selected locked tailwheel.

Nothing. Everytime I get about 1/4 up the runway and I ruin the plane. I can do it in an A-20 without effort.

This is bugging the hell out of me. I can't let it go til I get better at it. I just want to get in the air.

Warrington_Wolf
08-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by P.FunkAdelic:
So I'm a noob. I know it might be hasty to try and get into medium bombers so quick but I'm kind of obsessed now since I can't take off in the B-25. Like the second I get to 100 kph or even less the thing shanks and goes off the runway. I've tried fiddling with my rudder control to trim the front wheel, I've made sure I selected both engines at once and not one at a time, I've ensured that the RPMs and manifold pressure are equal on both engines at once, I've fiddled with my Rudder settings to see if my stick wasn't responding correctly to my corrections, and selected locked tailwheel.

Nothing. Everytime I get about 1/4 up the runway and I ruin the plane. I can do it in an A-20 without effort.

This is bugging the hell out of me. I can't let it go til I get better at it. I just want to get in the air. I fly the B-25 quite a bit and I've never had a problem taking off. It sounds like you are either trying to take off into a crosswind or you are using insufficient rudder to counteract the engine torque. I'm curious as to what you are using to control your rudder, does your joystick have a twist grip like the Microsoft force feedback stick or do you have rudder pedals? Another thing that you could try is locking the tailwheel, I know that the B-25 doesn't have a tailwheel but it may work regardless.
Hopefully that should get you airborne, then all you have to worry about is flak, enemy fighters, getting your bombs "in the pickle barrel", getting injured or killed, collisions, fuel leaks, fires, shredded control surfaces, other battle damage and trying to land what is left of your brand new B-25 on one engine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif.

Aaron_GT
08-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Check to make sure that you are selecting both engines. You might be starting one, then the other, but then just throttling up one. Check the RPM and boost gauges in the cockpit. I've embarassed myself online more than once forgetting to select all engines.

bolox00
08-31-2008, 02:40 PM
nothing wrong with trying the bombers early on, fly what you enjoy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

B25 can be 'interesting' to take off and took sometime to get it down.
this is what i do:-
DON'T lock the 'tailwheel'- you need the steering
trim ~50% right rudder and ~20% up elevator, prop pitch 100%, flaps takeoff.
assuming you aren't trying to take off from a carrier don't firewall the throttles and then let go of the brakes- try letting go of the brakes at zero throttle/speed and gently add power checking any swing with rudder. as you speed up gently feed in more power. learning to apply the right amount of rudder as you feed in the power is the key- control the plane don't react to it.
if you are swinging right add power to correct, if swinging left reduce power.

hopefully you should get past the quarter runway mark in a (roughly) straight line, keep slowly adding power as you have enough rudder control to hold it and by the time power reaches 100% you should be nearly flying, with the right elev trim for your fuel/bombload it should almost fly itself off the runway.

be smooth and persevere and you'll get there

K_Freddie
08-31-2008, 07:03 PM
A few questions
1) what are the weather conditions
2) are you applying full throttle from the start
3) what is your bomb load weight

As you mentioned that you are operating the 2 engines...
1) bad weather makes it difficult to control your plane on taxing/takeoff.
2) Engine torque/Propwash from 2 engines can throw your plane off the runway - gently increase the throttle on takeoff - this might take 20 seconds to get to full throttle - don't forget rudder trim and applying 'opposite' rudder.
3) If your plane is heavy the above points are accentuated - they become more noticable, and of course it's harder to get off the ground..

Be gentle....
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

VW-IceFire
08-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Sounds weird...time to record a NTRK file and post it somewhere for us to see.

ffb
08-31-2008, 07:30 PM
I use the Saitek AV8R stick with two throttles and the Throttle software ...seperate engine control.... much easier http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

buzzsaw1939
08-31-2008, 10:39 PM
I know what your talking about PF,...
I don't belive its any of the things mentioned here, I belive it was modeled incorrecty with prop torqe like a single engine, it should not have this problem with a nose wheel, I don't have this problem with any other twin, you'll just have to practice rudder control, it will swing on you, but you can get used to it!

if your useing a twisty,... good luck!

Or shift to the P-38! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

K_Freddie
09-01-2008, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
I don't belive its any of the things mentioned here, I belive it was modeled incorrecty with prop torqe like a single engine, it should not have this problem with a nose wheel, I don't have this problem with any other twin, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif
Remember the B25 has radial engines and the big rudder fins are directly behind the props.
2x radials added to 2x big rudders should give one a fair amount of swing, if you 'wall the throttle'.
The P38 engines and props rotate in opposite directions, cancelling the torque/propwash effects.

M_Gunz
09-01-2008, 02:52 AM
Do the B-25 props counter-rotate?

Not sure any more but IIRC the Bf-110's don't. Do I have that right or wrong?
There is one of the models we have that don't, I'm pretty sure.

PanzerAce
09-01-2008, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by K_Freddie:

The P38 engines and props rotate in opposite directions, cancelling the torque/propwash effects.

I'm pretty sure actually that the P38 engines rotate in the same direction, but the gearing bolted to the front of the engines spin the props in opposite directions. You tend to have to re-design alot of stuff on an engine when you start turning it in the other direction (for instance, you would need a completely new camshaft at the very least)

UgoRipley
09-01-2008, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by ffb:
I use the Saitek AV8R stick with two throttles and the Throttle software ...seperate engine control.... much easier http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
What "Throttle" software ? Do you control the 2 engines independently "on the fly" ?

gdfo
09-01-2008, 04:24 AM
Listen to what others have stated.

Now, next time you try to take off in the B-25,

Start your engines and make sure that you have pushed 'select all engines' (assigned key) before you throttle up for the take off run.

After you have started engines you might have to hit the key you have assigned for 'level stabilizer' to make sure it is off. Go to Controls in the game and look at your key assignments. You need 'select all engines' and 'level stabilizer'. If you do not have keyboard keys assinged to these, please do so.

Good flying.

bolox00
09-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Throttle software
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/2741045185

use of differential throttle does work ingame for counteracting torque but i gave a 'simpler' technique (KISS principle http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

you can use this with a single throttle axis if you have appropriate buttons mapped (left eng select, right eng select and select all eng)- the radio 4 way switch on cougar throttle works rather well http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif
i suspect OP doesn't have such hardware tho

K_Freddie
09-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by PanzerAce:

I'm pretty sure actually that the P38 engines rotate in the same direction, but the gearing bolted to the front of the engines spin the props in opposite directions. You tend to have to re-design alot of stuff on an engine when you start turning it in the other direction (for instance, you would need a completely new camshaft at the very least)

I cannot rmember for IL2 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif as it's a loong time since I've flown it, but in RL AFAIK they did have a left and right engine for the P38 - maybe they fitted the one engine backwards, I'm not sure.

OMK_Hand
09-01-2008, 10:24 AM
"All P38J airplanes are powered by one V-1710-89 right-hand rotating engine and one V-1710-91 left-hand rotating engine."

V-1710-111 and V-1710-113 engines for the P38L.

buzzsaw1939
09-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by K_Freddie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
I don't belive its any of the things mentioned here, I belive it was modeled incorrecty with prop torqe like a single engine, it should not have this problem with a nose wheel, I don't have this problem with any other twin, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif
Remember the B25 has radial engines and the big rudder fins are directly behind the props.
2x radials added to 2x big rudders should give one a fair amount of swing, if you 'wall the throttle'.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point freddie, but the twin rudders behind the engines actually help, not hinder,, (cyclonic prop wash) I've never flown a twin in my life that swung right on take off roll, unless you lost your right engine, or were in a right cross wind, if you think it's a cross wind causeing it in game, then try takeing off in the other direction, the nose wheel should keep you straight on your rollout! it doesn't!

The reason for the counter rotateing props on the P-38 was mainly for getting home on one!
the gyro forces are to great at low speeds if you lose your left engine!

UKD_T.H.O.R.
09-01-2008, 11:55 AM
When taking off in B-25J when you apply full power no matter how much rudder you use it will drive you off the runway. Well, maybe not off the runway but off course for sure.

Try aplying power gradualy. I recomend holding it on 60% untill speed increases and then continue adding power up to 110%.

This will keep her straight during takeoff with very little rudder input.

P.FunkAdelic
09-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I figured I might have been a bit too aggressive with the throttle though I wasn't either using either brake-release or firewalling of the throttle. I guess though that I was not letting it speed up at 60% enough.

I am, for the record, using a Saitek X52 so I'm, at the moment anyway, a twist rudder guy. I was also flying on a multiplayer map I created to practice on. It was... Dogfight 4 option 2 or something. Mountainous terrain in the summer and the weather seemed perfect. I tried with both a bombload and without one so the weight wasn't a deciding factor.

Anyways I'll give that a try and see if I can get her to fly. I think now, as I was suspecting in the hours after I posted this and started to think about it, that I was just treating the B-25 too much like the P-40 that I'd been training myself with. But the B-25 does seem above average in difficulty to take off just because I can do it fine with an He-111 or an A-20. Wish me luck.

You guys are very helpful. Thanks. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Aviar
09-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Granted, I don't fly the B-25 much at all. I just set up a small test mission and had no problems taking off with a full fuel load.

My guess is that the 'problem' is somewhere on your end.

Aviar

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
It really does sound like a technical problem at this point. Maybe a re-install is in order?

M_Gunz
09-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
The reason for the counter rotateing props on the P-38 was mainly for getting home on one!

I don't understand Buzz, why would the gyro forces be so different left or right when each
counter-rotates?

I do know from historic P-38 video from Zeno's Warbirds that only the left engine had a
generator so if you lost the left you were limited to battery time. Still that's longer
than you'd have with one engine shot out in a single!

sakai2005
09-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by ffb:

could you give me a link or any info on that software.thanks

WTE_Galway
09-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:

I don't understand Buzz, why would the gyro forces be so different left or right when each
counter-rotates?

I do know from historic P-38 video from Zeno's Warbirds that only the left engine had a
generator so if you lost the left you were limited to battery time. Still that's longer
than you'd have with one engine shot out in a single! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he is getting at the difference between asymmetric with one engine rotating inboard versus outboard at the top. As we well know, inboard is preferred and an outboard rotation is less desirable and more difficult to control. Most people will be aware that with a normal twin with both props rotating the same way the outboard rotating engine is the "critical" one, the one we prefer not to fail.

Some twins counter-rotate so that both engines rotate inboard so that there is no critical engine.

Only thing is the p38 configuration is unusual - it actually creates the WORST scenario for asymmetric operation not the optimal one. Basically the p38 has TWO "critical" engines which initially seems a very odd thing to do.

There are various explanations in the literature of why this is so. Not that it matters, the REAL reason as stated by Kelly Johnson himself ...

Originally from http://yarchive.net/air/p38.html :

I met Kelly in about '82 or '83 at a seminar in Norman, Oklahoma. I asked him about the P-38 props turning outboard at the top, giving two critical engines.

I though I knew the answer: because the spiral flow off the props was opposite the tip vortices, the ship should be cleaner. And it is. But that wasn't the reason he gave....

He just said "it made a better gun platform".

That was it. The entire purpose of the airplane was to shoot, and anything that made it do that job better was the deciding factor in all decisions like the prop rotation, etc...

He said they actually tried it in every possible combination of prop directions, and that's the one that worked best and gave the highest gunnery scores.

fabianfred
09-01-2008, 05:59 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/2741045185/p/1

this is the thread to read about the software....the software is free....but you buy a license to use the java

VW-IceFire
09-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
It really does sound like a technical problem at this point. Maybe a re-install is in order?
I'm not convinced that it is. Until we see a NTRK of what the guy is doing its really hard to say but I find it weird that only one plane would have some sort of weird glitch that would need a reinstall. Usually doesn't fix things...at least I don't remember such a case.

Personally I think its just piloting and adjusting to the way the plane flies. There is strong torque...especially if you firewall the throttle on takeoff. It can throw some people off guard. I watched a guy today on the UK-2 server crash in literally a dozen takeoffs in the B-25. Everytime he was fishtailing around and he'd hit something or collapse the gear or whatever. I tried to help but he gave up and flew something else. Not sure why holding the rudder for counter torque was that hard for this fellow (maybe its the same guy?) but he just needed to learn the technique and practice abit.

This guy in particular was not controlling the strong torque well...he was overcompensating when the plane pulled to one side...so it'd go the other side. And then when it was finished doing that he'd hammer the rudder back the other way.

So I don't think a reinstall would help. Love to be able to see what the guy is doing so we can help. Could just be piloting technique. Could be a control issue but that seems unlikely as well since the A-20 seems to not be a problem.

Maybe he should try a Pe-2 and a Bf110 and tell us if the same problem crops up. The Pe-2 is also a bit tricky to get off the ground.

P.FunkAdelic
09-01-2008, 08:55 PM
No I wasn't online, haven't tried online yet. But it is odd to me that its just that one plane thats doing it to me. I am trying to counter steer with rudder but what usually happens is that I counter steer and then its a bit too much but then I let off a touch and it starts to drift back the wrong way and I might over correct at that point and fishtail.

I also a few times managed to almost fly perfectly straight for a while with counter steer but then as I sped up the drift to the left took over again and I lost control.

Frankly I don't think its my stick or my game since no other plan is confounding me. But heres the other thing. Same install I've managed to get a Bf-110 off the ground first try. So B-25 seems the only one thats screwing with me. But again I was pushing up the throttle kind of aggressively mainly out of fear of losing runway space.

I haven't tried again yet cause I'm away from home til Wednesday morning so I'll have to get back to you on that.

M_Gunz
09-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
This guy in particular was not controlling the strong torque well...he was overcompensating when the plane pulled to one side...so it'd go the other side. And then when it was finished doing that he'd hammer the rudder back the other way.

Maybe he has his rudder sliders low in center and by the time he gets any rudder he gets a lot?
You know, a little bit near center being far, far less than a little bit even halfway out?

I used to run all 100's the 90 to 100 even on pitch. Got the center down to 44 now and LOTS
of filter!

Snodrvr
09-01-2008, 09:31 PM
The problem is he is locking his tailwheel. The B-25 has no tail wheel. For some reason, you can lock the non-existent tailwheel in the B-25 and the plane will spin uncontrolably on the take-off roll everytime just as you hit 50 Miles an hour. Unlock the tail wheel and you'll do just fine.

buzzsaw1939
09-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Gunz
I was going to draw you a picture of what I'm refering to, but Galway coverd it pretty well!

The b-25 doesn't have counter rotateing props, I haven't flown all planes in game yet, so I can't say if it's common, with practice you can take off OK, but it fishtails bad, I blamed my Saitek peddals being too sensitive, but I've gotten used to them now, I love the 25, and it's worth practiceing! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I just read it again, the p-38 has the proper rotation Galway, look at it this way, your left engine is rotateing clockwise, the plane is rotateing counter clockwise, better to keep the plane in balance, if the right engine is rotateing clockwise then the plane will go into a unrecoverable left bank at low speed, so the left engine is critical engine out!

If this doesn't make sense to anybody, I'll try to post a drawing!

WTE_Galway
09-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Snodrvr:
The problem is he is locking his tailwheel. The B-25 has no tail wheel. For some reason, you can lock the non-existent tailwheel in the B-25 and the plane will spin uncontrolably on the take-off roll everytime just as you hit 50 Miles an hour. Unlock the tail wheel and you'll do just fine.

Now that is very interesting. Sounds like that might be his problem.

Buzz: I am pretty sure both engines rotate the wrong way on the p38. To use your terminology, looking from the rear the left prop rotates counterclockwise and the right prop rotates clockwise.

buzzsaw1939
09-01-2008, 10:47 PM
You are absolutly right Galway, I just went in to check, I would have sworn they turned the other way! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

Please forgive an old memory! and your right they are backwards, even in RL, that would make both engines critical! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Goes against every thing we know about twins doesn't it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

M_Gunz
09-02-2008, 12:22 AM
In the Lockheed video they did show single engine ops but I don't remember them landing with
one engine off.

I just wondered why one particular side, the left, being out would fly worse than the right.
I mean, it should be symmetric except for that generator on the left side only but then that
thing weighs a good bit being why only the one -- maybe the extra weight being on the dead
side makes it worse?

WTE_Galway
09-02-2008, 01:19 AM
In the Lockheed video they did show single engine ops but I don't remember them landing with
one engine off.

I just wondered why one particular side, the left, being out would fly worse than the right.
I mean, it should be symmetric except for that generator on the left side only but then that
thing weighs a good bit being why only the one -- maybe the extra weight being on the dead
side makes it worse?

According to what I have read single engine takeoff and landing is possible in a p38 but it apparently had pretty vicious asymmetric performance and you needed to be very quick on feathering and needed to throttle back substantially on the good engine,

To clarify the confusion ...

SHOULD the p38 have been like most other twins at the time and had both props running the same direction a failure leaving the good engine on that side where the top of the prop turns outboard WOULD have been harder to control.
(EDIT: It seems the variant ordered by the French and British in fact were just this configuration with no counter-rotation and also lacked turbo super chargers)

Conventionally counter rotating twins are always set up so neither prop turns outboard giving better handling regardless of which engine failed. This is what seemed to confuse Buzz. He assumed the p38 was like virtually all other counter rotating twins and was configured to make asymmetric operation safer.

Instead the p38 props rotate the other way meaning its asymmetric issues are worse not better. Basically regardless of which engine fails on the takeoff run in a p38 you are always in serious trouble. (as opposed to a 50/50 chance normally)

The reason for this oddity has caused much speculation over the years.

However the quote in my post above regarding a discussion with one of the head designers of the p38, Kelly Johnson, explains it ...

" .... he said they actually tried it in every possible combination of prop directions, and that's the one that worked best and gave the highest gunnery scores."

Basically the overriding factor was the thing was a more stable gun platform with the props rotating that way. The fact that it was more dangerous in asymmetric ops was irrelevant.

Speedfellow
09-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Tail wheel lock is the cause 100%.

M_Gunz
09-02-2008, 03:10 AM
This critical engine-prop thing is due to p-factor torquing into the dead engine side?
I guess it'd be good to not rotate a P-38 on takeoff until you have some extra speed then.

I did some more reading and one engine out has against you; p-factor, propwash and more lift
on the working engine wing though p-factor is by far the smaller factor and propwash depends
on what kind of tail and if you are in slip or not. No biggie, the pilot has to tromp rudder
and maybe pray if he isn't cursing a blue streak. Which do you do, Buzz?

Neat things to know about both P-38 and B-25.
Possibly & I wonder if Bf-110 props counter-rotate? Might get two lessons for the price of one.

Do all tricycle gear planes have that tailwheel lock screws up the takeoff 'feature'?
I haven't messed with a multi since checking out a way to make differential power using a hat
switch and macros and then finding out that the FM doesn't handle p-38 diff power correctly
anyway. That was a while back now, maybe 2 years.

buzzsaw1939
09-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Which do I do?...mmm The last engine out I had was on take off in a c-310 many years ago, right engine out, left rudder, all levers full, lower nose, feather dead engine, then set your rudder trim before your leg gives out! check fuel selectors......Oh! RTB to change your pants!

Galway..not only confused with it not being normal, I actually could see it in my mind!
They said when you get old your memory gets bad, but they didn't warn me about false memory, been happening a lot lately! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

M_Gunz
09-02-2008, 11:32 AM
You flew a P-38 some time?

OMK_Hand
09-02-2008, 11:49 AM
The "Flight Characteristics of the P-38" training film has a section dedicated to single engine operation.

The procedure for recovery is:
Full opposite rudder to the dead engine
Mixture to idle cut-off
Feather full
Close the throttle
Trim

There are then 5 further precautionary steps, to reduce drag and reduce the risk of fire.

They emphasise the safe single engine landing and take off ability of the P-38. Several examples are shown of both circumstances.
They say that on landing: drop the gear below 170 mph, approach at 120 mph with 50% flaps, and only select full flaps when absolutely certain of the landing, 'cos there ain't no going back.

As for the B25, on take off the manual says to steer with throttles until one has sufficient speed for the rudders to bite. Dunno if that points to a problem... when doe the rudders bite in game?

buzzsaw1939
09-02-2008, 02:40 PM
You flew a P-38 some time?

Nope... never even stood next to one!

Sorry mate, I was refering to the one in game, flew it a lot and liked it, just wish you could see over the danged wings! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

buzzsaw1939
09-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by OMK_Hand:

when does the rudders bite in game?

When it stops weaving! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

fabianfred
09-02-2008, 06:03 PM
I always thought that locking the tailwheel worked on the nosewheel... for those aircraft which have a nosewheel instead of a tailwheel...

But I also found that leaving it unlocked was better for the B-25

bolox00
09-03-2008, 04:47 AM
P.Funkadelic, i've knocked up a b25 takeoff mission (and a track of me doing it) for you

http://rapidshare.com/files/142269530/tkoff.ZIP
might help give you an idea of the pace, and the mission is set on a nice wide runway, empty ammo and 25% fuel.

to view track unzip file to somewhere convenient and copy the b25takoff.ntrk into ..your game folder/records. you should the be able to view track from ingame.

to install mission copy the other two files into .. your game folder/missions/single/us/b25

you will have to create the b25 folder first http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif (can call this folder anything you like)
you should then be able to try it in the single missions.

to reiterate:

don't lock the tailwheel

add throttle slowly- particularly thru the 40-70 mph part of the run.

good luck

P.FunkAdelic
09-03-2008, 12:54 PM
THANK YOU! I was really actually thinking I'd ask someone how to create a mission where I can not bother taxiing my huge bloody bomber onto the runway for 5 minutes just to crash after 20 seconds.

Thanks a ton. I LOVE the people here. SO helpful, above even other sims it seems.

buzzsaw1939
09-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Shucks... I had one just like that for practiceing take offs, but I've lost it, if some one doesn't beat me too it, let me know I'll make another.

Just a note,... I played with the 25 a little last night, whoever said save your power till its rolling, is right, it does make a difference in the sim! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

P.FunkAdelic
09-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Okay you guys are brilliant. I just took bolox's mission, kept locked tailwheel off, applied power gradually until I gained rudder surface control, took off in nigh on a straight line, then you'll never guess, I turned around and came in for a nearly perfect landing.

I half the time ruin my single engine planes landing but I actually landed the B-25 without ruining the undercarriage.

I just wish I'd recorded a track to show it off. You guys really helped a lot. I think as long as this thread is being paid attention I'll drop a few more Q's, but I'll wait til I have any. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Cheers