PDA

View Full Version : Health potions.

bladencrowd
08-20-2009, 03:30 PM
When I was reading this article
http://www.gamepro.com/article...ed-ii-freeform-play/ I stumbled upon this..."With no specific objective in mind, Ezio meandered through the streets. At one point Desilets had him stop at a street vendor to buy some healing potions..."

I made sure this wasn't Fable 2 I was reading.
Health potions are a horrible addition in my opinion. What's the point of going to the street doctor when you have one in your pocket wherever you go? I hope that they cost more than a Doctors aid since they can be taken anywhere and that they heal over time with less health restored.

thekyle0
08-20-2009, 03:34 PM
I should have known you would start a thread because of my health potions comment. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

But anyways, I absolutley hate the idea of them. but since they haven't been mentioned anywhere else I think the writer must have been confused.

Originally posted by thekyle0:
What the hell were the street doctors for if you can carry one in your back pocket! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Secondarily posted by bladencrowd:
What's the point of street doctors if you have one in your pocket wherever you go?"

Why must you copy the same point I made as well?

EmperorxZurg
08-20-2009, 03:36 PM
I just don't like potions at all, they are totally ditching the realism of it, with the others it looked like u just needed to be skilled to do it but with this... this is like oblivion or something where there's magic! me no likey the potions

Ezio_475
08-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by d1sturbedme_468:
I just don't like potions at all, they are totally ditching the realism of it, with the others it looked like u just needed to be skilled to do it but with this... this is like oblivion or something where there's magic! me no likey the potions
Just think that the potions are medicine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SharkMRX
08-20-2009, 03:42 PM
I hope the healing potions is for the stopping of bleeding or something. Like you get wounded very bad and you start bleeding when you dont juse the potion you must hurry very fast to a doctor or else you bleed to dead. When you juse the potion just the bleeding stops and you still need to see a doctor cos your health is very low but you wont bleed to dead anymore

EmperorxZurg
08-20-2009, 03:46 PM
@Ezio_475: yes, but medicines even now can't do that, the closest that would do something like that is a morphine shot to make the PAIN go away but there is no medicine that heals ur health like that that's why I'm sticking with roadside doctors

Losk_
08-20-2009, 04:16 PM
He was probably buying vials of poison...

MartaVasques
08-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Losk_:
He was probably buying vials of poison...

It could be... I hope you're right, Losk. I hate this potions idea! If it's true, it will totally kill the realism! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

bladencrowd
08-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by thekyle0:
I should have known you would start a thread because of my health potions comment. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

But anyways, I absolutley hate the idea of them. but since they haven't been mentioned anywhere else I think the writer must have been confused.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thekyle0:
What the hell were the street doctors for if you can carry one in your back pocket! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Secondarily posted by bladencrowd:
What's the point of street doctors if you have one in your pocket wherever you go?"

Why must you copy the same point I made as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry if it sounded similar. It's just that your comment summed up how I pretty much felt.

Edengoth
08-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Maybe Ubi will stick to their claim of watching the forums to please the fans and if there are health potions, they'll take that out. Like immediately.

I'll say it again. What makes AC great is that it doesn't stick to so many modern gaming tropes. (...he said with increasingly shaky confidence.)

agentpoop
08-20-2009, 07:24 PM
potions are a terrible idea

AltairEagleEzio
08-21-2009, 12:17 AM
I go for the other option:
No Health Potions at all.

Account_Deleted
08-21-2009, 12:27 AM
i'd say make it an anasetics(sp?) type of thing,
were it can slow down blood lose or minize pain..
but nooo poitions
sound gay..

L.Cie
08-21-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm not too enthusiastic about potions.
Instant healing? Doesn't fit in Assassin's Creed, and takes away <STRIKE>a little</STRIKE> a lot of the realism.
If it reduces pain, then it's fine, because there's no healing and the player can go dashing off to a doctor. But not potions, it reminds me of RPGs and that's not what Assassin's Creed is.

SWJS
08-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Guys, potion doesn't mean "magic" potion. Potions in the time of the Renaissance were more along the lines of what cough syrup is today. Seriously though, during that time, and much longer after that, wickens and doctors always made herbal concoctions that would heal some type of injury. Naturally they didn't have our miracle medicines, but they did make herbs into tea and other liquids, which most often stopped bleeding, helped to ease coughs, etc. However they had no potions for alements such as the Bubonic Plague, or other hefty diseases, but they did have treatments for common alements and illnesses.

I guarentee that the potions will grant health as a GAME ELEMENT, but they realistically will only be used along the lines of antiseptics for cuts and bruises, and such.

So don't worry. There's no Fable 2 here.

Edengoth
08-21-2009, 12:57 AM
I think a lot of people are more concerned with it becoming too rpg-ish from the gameplay standpoint with having to manage potions, and also negating street doctors and resync methods.
The not-realistic thing is kinda just the cherry on top.
Personally, I want item-based gameplay at a minimum. I hate managing an inventory, and weapons and gadgets are inventory enough for me lol

SWJS
08-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Perhaps items such as potions(NOT rpg elements) will be available with a quick inventory, such as in the first game with weapons.

Korejo
08-21-2009, 03:22 AM
What is wrong with having a health potion?! :S.. Why do people want games as real as life these day's?... anyways..

Lets suppose Ezio is in the middle of a mission and guards are beating the crap out of him/you.. and since the health will not magically go back to normal this time and u have to see a doc to heel Ezio. Wotcha gonna do brother? fail the mission?.. no.. u can use ure health potion at that time, complete the mission and save ure health potions for story missions as they may come in handy there.. because u cannot go see a street doc while guards are kicking ure ***. But when u r free roaming u should go see a doc and not waste ure potion's.

Stormpen
08-21-2009, 03:31 AM
Urrgh, no health potions please.

MartaVasques
08-21-2009, 03:31 AM
Korejo, in AC 1, when the guards were beating the cr*p out of you, you could just run like hell to get away… and then come back later for revenge! And that was just fine by me… And yes, I do like my games as realistic as possible! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Danvish
08-21-2009, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Korejo:
What is wrong with having a health potion?! :S.. Why do people want games as real as life these day's?... anyways..

Lets suppose Ezio is in the middle of a mission and guards are beating the crap out of him/you.. and since the health will not magically go back to normal this time and u have to see a doc to heel Ezio. Wotcha gonna do brother? fail the mission?.. no.. u can use ure health potion at that time, complete the mission and save ure health potions for story missions as they may come in handy there.. because u cannot go see a street doc while guards are kicking ure ***. But when u r free roaming u should go see a doc and not waste ure potion's.

If the guards are beating the hell out of you, as you said it, you should flee, same as ACI.
The big different between AC and other games, is that it's supposed to be based on real world, not a magical invented world. Everything, starting from history to structures, is based on the real world. It's not a made-up world. So there's no room for magical things, as healing potions. If you don't like realistic games, don't buy AC.

And about the part of "you won't just fail the mission". News flash, you will. That's the very essent of being an assassin. You'll fail, flee, heal yourself, plan a better way, and start again. You won't solve problems with magical things.

Stormpen
08-21-2009, 03:45 AM
And about the part of "you won't just fail the mission". News flash, you will. That's the very essent of being an assassin. You'll fail, flee, heal yourself, plan a better way, and start again. You won't solve problems with magical things.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

MartaVasques
08-21-2009, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Danvish:
If the guards are beating the hell out of you, as you said it, you should flee, same as ACI.
The big different between AC and other games, is that it's supposed to be based on real world, not a magical invented world. Everything, starting from history to structures, is based on the real world. It's not a made-up world. So there's no room for magical things, as healing potions. If you don't like realistic games, don't buy AC.

Thanks, my point exactly! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Korejo
08-21-2009, 03:57 AM
Korejo, in AC 1, when the guards were beating the cr*p out of you, you could just run like hell to get away… and then come back later for revenge! And that was just fine by me… And yes, I do like my games as realistic as possible!

I m not sure.. but i guess that's not going to happen this time.. As of what i have read.. now your synchronization bar will not regenerate your health over time.. you have to heel Ezio.. either go see a doc.. or use a health potion.. or simply fail the mission. I presume Running away won't help..

And according to me the beauty of the video games is.. that they are not as real as life. If that would be the case.. That would be boring and i m sure people would start hating them.. because i have not met/seen anyone who is satisfied with his/her real life.

To me Video games are stress buster's.. It is a relaxation for me.. If video games would be as tough and "REAL" as life.. I would rather choose to live my life than paying to play video games for living in a virtual, meaningless, stressfull life. Its better, if we let video games be the video games, and live life for reality.

But thats just my opinion. Have a nice day!

SWJS
08-21-2009, 04:09 AM
The big different between AC and other games, is that it's supposed to be based on real world, not a magical invented world. Yet the series is a science fiction game based inside a machine from the furture that miraculously allows you to read the memories of your ancestors that are stored in your DNA. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Yeah dude, I get where you're coming from. The landmarks and cities are based on real places.

But with AC, you have to draw the line between reality and video game storytelling somewhere.

Korejo
08-21-2009, 04:23 AM

Potions are not necessarily Harry Potter magic thing.. It can also be a consumable medicine or poison.

And I hate to break this to you but no matter how real Assassins creed is, at the end of the day its just a Video game.! because AC has the properties of a video game.. for example "The Animus".. thats NOT real.. thats not even possible imo.. We donot even know for sure if genetic memory exists or not in our brains.. And if it does.. maybe thats just for some personality traits we inheret from our ancestor's.. that doesnt lets us live our ancestor's life.. and i assume accessing it.. thats not even possible.. surely not untill 2012!.. so no matter how real AC is.. its still fictious..

Realism in games is good.. but too much of it ruins the entire game.. and forums are filled with complain's.. because people want to do things in games that they cannot do in their real life..

But like i said before.. thats just my opinion.. and you can have your's.. U hate the potion idea.. and i dont.. thts it.. lets end it right here.

NoxieDC
08-21-2009, 04:36 AM
I don't absolutely dislike the potions idea. Just include a long animation for consuming it and don't make it heal as much as seeing a real doctor. How many more surprises have Ubisoft in store for us?

Danvish
08-21-2009, 05:11 AM
@Korejo & ETA,

You both are right. I guess I got too carried away about realism...
And Korejo, sorry if I sounded a bit militant, wasn't my attention, I do respect any man's idea (as long as it's in accord with laws http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

I'll rephrase myself. Ofc it's a video-game, and ofc it's a bit sci-fi kind of game.
But putting aside the part of the "future" (with Desmond and etc), the game itself is based on real places, and real history. Not an invented history that people used magic or there were monsters or stuff like that. My point is, that even thought it's a fiction, you have to keep to the lines of reality that the devs have created in ACI. If ACI was also a totaly fictional game (with healing potions and things like that) there were room for a much wider argument if it's good or not. But since they have already draw the line between reality and fiction, I don't think they should cross it bluntly.

Fristi61
08-21-2009, 05:28 AM
Main thing I'm worried about is the game becoming too easy. I mean, we've already got 2 hidden blades, a gun, poison, swimming etc.
Besides it doesn't seem very 'assassiny' to me.
It could discourage people from using stealth because they can just heal after they're done fighting a dozen of guards.
So no, I don't think it's a good idea, I think an assassin's life is supposed to be a bit harder than relying on healing potions.
The only way I could see this being good is if it's something really subtle, like a small increase in healing speed, which would realistically make more sense too.

NoxieDC
08-21-2009, 05:42 AM
Remember: it was you who said that they are magic potions.

And I can never be unsurprised by people's tendency to always assume the worst, even if the rest we saw was brilliant. I mean, 200 people simply doing such a cliche thing sounds unlikely, n'est pas? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

AetosEagle
08-21-2009, 06:04 AM
I hate the idea of instant healing potions, bad idea. If it's something you would pour on the wound to stench the bleeding, good. Say your losing health at a steady rate after a deadly blow from a gaurd, you pull out that "healing potion", pour it on the wound and that would maybe calm the bleeding down so you can make it to the road-side doctor.

If it's "oh just got dealt a heavy blow, half health gone! no worries! drink instant heal potion *glug glug glug*" I will be VERY disappointed.

Charlie_Romeo
08-21-2009, 06:20 AM
i dont like the idea of health potions at all. I mean nuless it takes alot of time or isnt as effective as a street doc.

thekyle0
08-21-2009, 07:26 AM
I think people are missing that the Gamepro article was the only article that mentions healing potions. It is very probable that the writer was confused or didn't remember it right.

@Danvish, I don't think you needed to apologize. You were absolutley right. If somebody messes up at the game there doesn't always need to be an easy way out. If anything it's better that we screw up. Then we have to go back and plan the attack better; it encourages thinking. We have to think of another approach that will work better than what we tried the first time. That requires us to use different approaches and experience the variety that Ubi has worked so hard to put in the game.

Danvish
08-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Well... thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Fristi61
08-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by NoxieDC:

Heh, I didn't even intend to write 'magic' potions, I meant to simply type healing potion, but the association with magic made me write that instead, sorry.

Also I said I was 'worried about the game becoming too easy' I didn't say I was convinced they would make them that way.

Danvish
08-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Fristi61:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NoxieDC:

Heh, I didn't even intend to write 'magic' potions, I meant to simply type healing potion, but the association with magic made me write that instead, sorry.

Also I said I was 'worried about the game becoming too easy' I didn't say I was convinced they would make them that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're right with what you said Fri.

If it's a potion you drink, and your health bar simply goes up (instead of stopping you from losing more health, which in this case would act as any other bandwight (sp) would act) then it IS a magical potion.

SBRedFlag
08-21-2009, 08:28 AM
I am definitely agreeing with the naysayers here, especially thekyle0 and danvish. However, like thekyle0 said, there's only one article out of the numerous articles covering the demo that mentioned health potions. I believe that Patrice would dislike it as much as we would.
And I quote: (They somehow got into the topic of Sam fisher)

Q: What if we put Sam Fisher in the animus?

A: For me, Sam Fisher is not in my universe. Really, I am like, Sam Fisher is not in the world that I am living, but Desmond ... Desmond is.

Which means Ezio is also in the same universe, and Healing potions are not. The end.

Danvish
08-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Hopefuly you're right mate.

I do think that article was a mistake coming to think about it.

A healing potion is a big thing, and non of the other reporters even mentioned it, and they all mentioned the poison.

SBRedFlag
08-21-2009, 09:41 AM
And if in any case they DO actually put in Healing potions, I hope AC3 doesn't add mana potions as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Edengoth
08-21-2009, 09:42 AM
lol to replenish assassin's mojo so you can do stealth kills.

Ezio_475
08-21-2009, 09:47 AM
I think the healing potions are fake, i just read one article where it says "Patrice walked Ezio over to a doctor, ignored the option to replenish his health, instead buying some poison" Later on in the article it even says that the first underground based level (in Florence) is the only one thats required to do, all the others are opitional.

Danvish
08-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Edengoth:
lol to replenish assassin's mojo so you can do stealth kills.

Indeed!

Lol Edengoth, now with the "poison" my hidden blade jokes got so much better http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Edengoth
08-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Eww. Sounds like an STD pun waiting to happen.

Danvish
08-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Edengoth:
Eww. Sounds like an STD pun waiting to happen.

Oh yeh, keep giving me ideas!!!

Korejo
08-21-2009, 10:16 AM
@Korejo & ETA,

You both are right. I guess I got too carried away about realism...
And Korejo, sorry if I sounded a bit militant, wasn't my attention, I do respect any man's idea (as long as it's in accord with laws http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

I'll rephrase myself. Ofc it's a video-game, and ofc it's a bit sci-fi kind of game.
But putting aside the part of the "future" (with Desmond and etc), the game itself is based on real places, and real history. Not an invented history that people used magic or there were monsters or stuff like that. My point is, that even thought it's a fiction, you have to keep to the lines of reality that the devs have created in ACI. If ACI was also a totaly fictional game (with healing potions and things like that) there were room for a much wider argument if it's good or not. But since they have already draw the line between reality and fiction, I don't think they should cross it bluntly.
Heh.. well.. i am a bit of an outlaw.. um.. u really donot have to apologize.. u just shared ure opinion just like I did.. and I respect ure opinion too.
Like someone said.. its not even confirmed.. so there's no point in arguing. Potions or no potions, we all are going to play Assassins Creed 2 anyways.

Edengoth
08-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Group hug!

thekyle0
08-21-2009, 10:41 AM
You would like that wouldn't you? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Charlie_Romeo
08-21-2009, 10:44 AM
I hope its fake. But i doubt it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

I'm not going to hug u Eden its just not going to happen http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

SBRedFlag
08-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Dude, this is one thread with a happy ending... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But still, healing potions suck, and whoever thinks they don't suck is needing a psychiatric evaluation.

JK http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Edit: Charlie_romeo (can I call you charlie?) it's is probably fake, no worries.

Charlie_Romeo
08-21-2009, 11:52 AM
es u may call me charlie http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SBRedFlag
08-21-2009, 12:47 PM
It just struck me, if poison is available for purchase at any doctor, what's to stop other people from buying it? So maybe healing potion is actually an antidote?

thekyle0
08-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Nice idea.

I still think we should get some kind of reply from Atmon either comfirming or denying health potions though.

Korejo
08-22-2009, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by sbredflag:
It just struck me, if poison is available for purchase at any doctor, what's to stop other people from buying it? So maybe healing potion is actually an antidote?
That's exactly what i meant when i said Potion's are not necessarily Harry Potter magic thing.. they can be consumable medicine and poison too.
Yup.. lets wait and see.

Danvish
08-22-2009, 02:34 AM
I doubt we'll see the healing potions.

No other reporter from the 6-7 that was there said even a slightest thing on healing potion, and they all did talk about the poison and the doctor.