PDA

View Full Version : Vortex effect in clouds

XyZspineZyX
08-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Just a though.

What would it look like if when an aircraft, be it Jet or Prop, screamed out of a cloud at 500 mph?

Should there be a visible Vortex effect, (Prop wash?)
and would the look of the game improve if part of the clouds came with the plane when it "popped" out.

Hold that though.

Now look at the new water / dirt effects. I know they choke out some systems (mine included) but would it be worth the aesthetics if that behavior were applied to clouds??

If there was a significant frame rate hit this should be abandoned, but personally, I think it would look impressive.

Especially if the properties could be tweaked to suit the new application.

Anyone think this would add to realism? The clouds ARE absolutely gorgeous (IMHO) but they do seem rather static at times.

This is a forum -- just because I think this would be a good idea doesn't mean it is, or would even be feasible.

I personally would like to see this effect in

LO MAC or Il-2 FB.

Just my 2 cents.

XyZspineZyX
08-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Just a though.

What would it look like if when an aircraft, be it Jet or Prop, screamed out of a cloud at 500 mph?

Should there be a visible Vortex effect, (Prop wash?)
and would the look of the game improve if part of the clouds came with the plane when it "popped" out.

Hold that though.

Now look at the new water / dirt effects. I know they choke out some systems (mine included) but would it be worth the aesthetics if that behavior were applied to clouds??

If there was a significant frame rate hit this should be abandoned, but personally, I think it would look impressive.

Especially if the properties could be tweaked to suit the new application.

Anyone think this would add to realism? The clouds ARE absolutely gorgeous (IMHO) but they do seem rather static at times.

This is a forum -- just because I think this would be a good idea doesn't mean it is, or would even be feasible.

I personally would like to see this effect in

LO MAC or Il-2 FB.

Just my 2 cents.

XyZspineZyX
08-23-2003, 08:58 PM
AFAIK that effect doesn't require clouds but a high humid air. I saw many pictures of carrier operations during the Pacific Warand Corsairs and Avengers showed that prop vortex very often while standing on the deck.

<hr>
<table border="0" width="100%"><tr><td width="50%"><font size=2><font size="-1"> and did those feet in ancient times
trod america's pastures of green?
and did that <font color="#FF0000">anthropocentric</font> god <font color="#FF0000">wane</font>
with their thoughts and beliefs all unseen?
I don't think so,
he's up there with the others lying low,
<font color="#FF0000">vying</font> with those who you've traded
your life to bless your soul,
and have they told you how to think,</font></font></td><td width="50%"><font size=2><font size="-1">
cleansed your mind of <font color="#FF0000">sepsis</font> and autonomy?
or have you escaped scrutiny,
and <font color="#FF0000">regaled</font> yourself with <font color="#FF0000">depravity</font>?
now we all see, "religion is just synthetic
<font color="#FF0000">frippery</font>, unnecessary in our expanding
global culture efficiency"
and don't you fear this impasse
we have built to our future?
ever so near,
and oh so <font color="#FF0000">austere</font> </font></font></td></tr></table>

http://thebrpage.tierranet.com/pix/Greg/graffin2_sm.jpg

"God Song" by Bad Religion

XyZspineZyX
08-23-2003, 11:32 PM
Any visual effects are welcome, really, short of bogging down or CPU's but I think I'd rather see more realistic clouds of different types before any vortex effects.

Another important advance in the next Olegsim is removal of the "pop-up-poly" effect on the landscape.

<center>http://members.rogers.com/4xtreme/chbanner.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2003, 05:04 AM
FB clouds are too small. All they have to do is allow the distance between vertices to change more widely, keeping the vertex count the same so there is no difficulty in rendering clouds reaching from just above ground to 7km altitude. Or is this a wrong idea of how they make clouds for FB.

Forget the Vortex that you won't see from inside cockpit anyway, or get a vortex sim. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif