PDA

View Full Version : until the crappy se is fixed ive found a better game to loop with

raaaid
11-07-2005, 11:29 AM
im sick of crashing against the sea because it looks as a blue stain unless in perfect mode

so now i play with my speed beetle yoyo specially designed for loopings

i really wish they fix the crappy sea in normal mode

ashley2005
11-07-2005, 11:32 AM
or why not just buy a better graphics card then

ImpStarDuece
11-07-2005, 01:17 PM
All planes have altimiters for a reason http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

tomtheyak
11-07-2005, 01:54 PM
RL pilots had a similar problem - flying over water there is little or nothing to use as a reference to judge your height. Many pilots flew into the sea or clipped it flying at low alt.

I run normal settings and I like the sea effect - much beter now than the 3 series. Sometimes looks better than perfect!!

Use your altimeter more and avoid looping and split-S manouevres at low alts over water - you're asking for trouble that way because your putting yourself in the situation where depth and altitude perception become ambiguous. So don't get in to that situation!

Hope this helps.

raaaid
11-07-2005, 02:17 PM
i dont know about you but i sea the sea flat blue flying lower than some fish

and you call that realistic

i think the programmers ignore the people with old or normal computers

neural_dream
11-07-2005, 02:21 PM
I have a below average system and still I never had any problem with the sea. In fact i've done my best aerobatic flying down there.

I'm sorry I can't help, but i only wanted to say that the problem is probably at your end, maybe old drivers, 'cause you definitely not need any good graphics card to have decent sea ( = 1 in the conf.ini).

neural_dream
11-07-2005, 02:26 PM
I have a below average system and still I never had any problem with the sea. In fact i've done my best aerobatic flying down there.

I'm sorry I can't help, but i only wanted to say that the problem is probably at your end, maybe old drivers, 'cause you definitely not need any good graphics card to have decent sea

CAF96th_DieHard
11-07-2005, 02:48 PM
As a matter of fact, programmers do give less consideration to those with older computers. Because the paying public wants extreme performance, immersion, realism, and are willing to pay for it. No software title is going anywhere except the bargain bin unless it's pushing the envelope in regard to the latest hardware. That's the way it is, you either keep up or get left behind with your yo-yo.

Dew-Claw
11-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Are you remembering to toggle of your ground magnet?
Its well known that over water its overmodeled due to the superior conductivity of water. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

NonWonderDog
11-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Make sure you're not using water=2 in conf.ini. Water=2 is broken, and you won't be able to judge distances using it, no matter what graphics card you have.

I think a GeForce FX (or it's ATI eqivalent) is the minimum to see waves stretch to the horizon in perfect mode, but the water was still good enough to guess altitude when I used water=1, perfect mode, and a middle-high class GeForce 3.

I really dislike the look of non-perfect water, but it's definitely easy to see how high you're flying in excellent.

arcadeace
11-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by raaaid:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

fordfan25
11-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by CAF96th_DieHard:
As a matter of fact, programmers do give less consideration to those with older computers. Because the paying public wants extreme performance, immersion, realism, and are willing to pay for it. No software title is going anywhere except the bargain bin unless it's pushing the envelope in regard to the latest hardware. That's the way it is, you either keep up or get left behind with your yo-yo.

wich is why the pc game market has shrunk every year sence 1999.

"Anyone who has walked into a major gaming retail outlet in recent years can't help but have noticed the ever-shrinking shelf space devoted to PC gaming. The sales figures paint an even more dismal picture for PC gaming enthusiasts: while console gaming sales have increased every year since 1999 to $6.2 billion in 1994, PC gaming sales in the US peaked in 1999 at $2 billion and have declined every year since for a total of $1.1 billion in 2004. Into this environment, major industry players like Microsoft, Dell, and GameStop are making a concerted effort to revitalize PC gaming, according to a Chicago Tribune report."

of course that just speaks of USA pc gameing. fact is the "keep up or get out" is a bad stance to take if you are realy into PC gameing. because thats just what alot of people are doing. less user base means less focus from devlopers wich means less games. and being a SIM fan i dont want to see that happen.

jds1978
11-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Make sure you're not using water=2 in conf.ini. Water=2 is broken, and you won't be able to judge distances using it, no matter what graphics card you have.

really? i have no problem using water=2. to be honest i use HUD though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

fordfan25
11-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by jds1978:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Make sure you're not using water=2 in conf.ini. Water=2 is broken, and you won't be able to judge distances using it, no matter what graphics card you have.

really? i have no problem using water=2. to be honest i use HUD though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

useing hud always boost my FPS by 10 to 20.

LEXX_Luthor
11-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Well said fordfan. By programming for the Future while ignoring current players' hardware, the Devs are crippling their own initial sales. Imagine initial LOMAC sales if more than just the highest end Hot Gamers could run the thing. As we learned recently in that locked StarForce thread, game Devs and Pubs depend most on initial sales, not years later when hardware catches up to the Hot Game.

fordfan::
fact is the "keep up or get out" is a bad stance to take if you are realy into PC gameing. because thats just what alot of people are doing. less user base means less focus from devlopers wich means less games. and being a SIM fan i dont want to see that happen.

Original DOS Su-27 Flaker 1.0 was created to run on 486 chips then popular in Russia at a time when the Pentium was becoming popular in Ussia. Flaker absolutely flew on Ussian Pentium machines when it came out in 1995. Interesting, when I plug my old DOS disk into my AMD Athlon-64 machine, with 100 planes in the air it runs smooth up to 16x time speed, so I calculate it could handle 1000 planes in the air easily...without the "AI Bubble" AI approximation that Rowan's BoB campaign is stumbling over.

Schithawk
11-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Dew-Claw:
Its well known that over water its overmodeled due to the superior conductivity of water. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif might wont toggle ?? thinkin it might be the transducer? any ideas

StG77_Stuka
11-07-2005, 06:30 PM
personally, I hope you become addicted to your speed beetle yoyo......, err well nothing like a good wholesome addiction.

fordfan25
11-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Well said fordfan. By programming for the Future while ignoring current players' hardware, the Devs are crippling their own initial sales. Imagine initial LOMAC sales if more than just the highest end Hot Gamers could run the thing. As we learned recently in that locked StarForce thread, game Devs and Pubs depend most on initial sales, not years later when hardware catches up to the Hot Game.

fordfan:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">fact is the "keep up or get out" is a bad stance to take if you are realy into PC gameing. because thats just what alot of people are doing. less user base means less focus from devlopers wich means less games. and being a SIM fan i dont want to see that happen.

Original DOS Su-27 Flaker 1.0 was created to run on 486 chips then popular in Russia at a time when the Pentium was becoming popular in Ussia. Flaker absolutely flew on Ussian Pentium machines when it came out in 1995. Interesting, when I plug my old DOS disk into my AMD Athlon-64 machine, with 100 planes in the air it runs smooth up to 16x time speed, so I calculate it could handle 1000 planes in the air easily...without the "AI Bubble" AI approximation that Rowan's BoB campaign is stumbling over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well im releaved some one hear agrees with me. most of the time i find a coment like that is mete with hostilty from the elitist rich boys and or fanboys who have more mony than thay need lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. i would defenitly hate to see games made just for old out dated tech just as much as the way things are now. i think the PC gameing industry could find a little better inbetween than what thay have now. the cost of hardwear vs the amount of time said hardwear is useful just does not add up IMHO. i have a fine rig at the moment and TBH i could build a much better one in a month if i wanted to but that does not mean i should. i mean there are games *coughFEARcough* that bring my 6800gtoc to sub 30FPS right now with 2XAA and 1024/768. thats just BS considering its a card that only what, a few mounths ago was over 400 bucks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif .
its just looking like PC devs are in a pi$$ing contest to see who can make the prettist game at the sacrafice of a rather large % of there user base. and whats the good of building a 2000 doller PC if in a year or two your haveing to cut down the settings till games look like pac-man lol. i love PC gameing and id like to see it grow to the point were we dont have to wait 5 years inbetween great flight sim's.

there are exceptions to every rule of course. play HL2 on a gforce FX 5200 i think it was. while the game ws only in DX7 and graphics cut to med that game still looked killer. but those are few and far. there are alot of console gamers that would like to have the opertunity to own a gameing PC but the way things are going its going just be a rich boys hobbie and thats not good for any one, even the guys who can afford top end stuff every year or two. smaller user base smaller market.

fordfan25
11-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by StG77_Stuka:
personally, I hope you become addicted to your speed beetle yoyo......, err well nothing like a good wholesome addiction.

agreed i loves my crack yo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

VF2_Snowman
11-07-2005, 10:52 PM
I've never flown a plane but I have parachuted over water and it is very difficult to judge your altitude over the water. Look at the horizon to judge your height, don't look down at the water.

Dew-Claw
11-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Schithawk:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dew-Claw:
Its well known that over water its overmodeled due to the superior conductivity of water. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif might wont toggle ?? thinkin it might be the transducer? any ideas </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did it get wet?

x6BL_Brando
11-08-2005, 04:50 AM
thats just BS considering its a card that only what, a few mounths ago was over 400 bucks
its just looking like PC devs are in a pi$$ing contest to see who can make the prettist game at the sacrafice of a rather large % of there user base. and whats the good of building a 2000 doller PC if in a year or two your haveing to cut down the settings till games look like pac-man lol

But isn't all this the cornerstone of marketing strategy? What would be the point of driving around in a Model T when you could be sitting in a GT40? The Model T may get you where you want to go, eventually, but the GT40 will do it @ high speed, in comfort. A bit of an extreme comparison http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif but I'm trying to say - where can the tyre manufacturer go with this? Will he say 'Sorry, we ain't gonna make 200mph-rated tyres, cos the speed limit is 70 (or 55)" ??? I don't think so.

The competition here is between the hardware companies - Ford, Chevrolet, Ati, nVidia, whatever - and the game developers, like the tyre companies, can't afford to back out of the race. That would be commercial suicide!

I'm still using an 'old' KR7a RAID with a 1900 Palomino and an original Radeon 8500. I use it as the house server and TS server etc - I also run 4.02m on it to build missions. It is totally fine for this job, and is quite playable too if I can be bothered to shift my flightgear over from the other PC. I can't have perfect settings of course - but I don't expect them.

Nothing like this is free - get out there and work to support the capitalist economy - without your contribution guys like http://www.fatal1ty.com will be out of a job, along with the makers of glass mouse-mats and steel gaming-gloves! LOL http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

x6BL_Brando
11-08-2005, 04:55 AM
makers of glass mouse-mats and steel gaming-gloves

Oh yes....and speed beetle yo-yo's of course
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

CAF96th_DieHard
11-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by fordfan25:

of course that just speaks of USA pc gameing. fact is the "keep up or get out" is a bad stance to take if you are realy into PC gameing. because thats just what alot of people are doing. less user base means less focus from devlopers wich means less games. and being a SIM fan i dont want to see that happen.

I just want to clarify that "keep up or get out" is not my personal stance and I didn't mean to come off that way. But the fact remains that pc gaming requires a continuing investment in hardware with each passing year and you just won't be able to play the newer titles with P3's and MX400's. The industry is trying to bring the latest technology to the buying public, but it's also true that fewer people are willing to "keep up" or even want to. In truth, I'm probably one of those. After spending close to 400 on a 6800gt only to see it surpassed by the 7800 and so forth and so on, I've resolved that enough is enough.

One day a console is going to be produced that will compete and exceed the PC in perfomance vs. value and that will be the end of PC gaming for all intents and purposes. It's inevitable because what's really is hurting PC gaming sales is software piracy and, IMHO, that has more to do with the shrinking sales than inability to run the software. Fewer companies are willing to risk the capital when they know that days after the title is released it will be available for d/l all over the net.

raaaid
11-08-2005, 11:30 AM
so what should i set water to to see the sea distance with minimal settings

Treetop64
11-08-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm sorry, but am I missing something here? You're sick of flying into the sea because it's, well, not the right shade of blue? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Raaaid, seriously...

Not flying into to sea (or the ground, or anything else for that matter) requires little more than common sense. Period.

Treetop64
11-08-2005, 06:19 PM

You're the, ahem, "genious" here, Raaaid. Figure it out yourself...

fordfan25
11-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by x6BL_Brando:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">thats just BS considering its a card that only what, a few mounths ago was over 400 bucks
its just looking like PC devs are in a pi$$ing contest to see who can make the prettist game at the sacrafice of a rather large % of there user base. and whats the good of building a 2000 doller PC if in a year or two your haveing to cut down the settings till games look like pac-man lol

But isn't all this the cornerstone of marketing strategy? What would be the point of driving around in a Model T when you could be sitting in a GT40? The Model T may get you where you want to go, eventually, but the GT40 will do it @ high speed, in comfort. A bit of an extreme comparison http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif but I'm trying to say - where can the tyre manufacturer go with this? Will he say 'Sorry, we ain't gonna make 200mph-rated tyres, cos the speed limit is 70 (or 55)" ??? I don't think so.

The competition here is between the hardware companies - Ford, Chevrolet, Ati, nVidia, whatever - and the game developers, like the tyre companies, can't afford to back out of the race. That would be commercial suicide!

I'm still using an 'old' KR7a RAID with a 1900 Palomino and an original Radeon 8500. I use it as the house server and TS server etc - I also run 4.02m on it to build missions. It is totally fine for this job, and is quite playable too if I can be bothered to shift my flightgear over from the other PC. I can't have perfect settings of course - but I don't expect them.

Nothing like this is free - get out there and work to support the capitalist economy - without your contribution guys like http://www.fatal1ty.com will be out of a job, along with the makers of glass mouse-mats and steel gaming-gloves! LOL http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i under stang all that completly. and im not disputing the fact that makeing 500 doller cards is nesasairly a bad thing how ever i do argue the fact that this industry is strangling its self to the point were its moveing so fast that its losing more and more of its user base. of course every one wants better and better graphics and faster hardwear BUT IMO there is a point to wear its to much to soon. whats the use in makeing a 200MPH tier if you cant sell enough of them to cover cost as well as make enough profit to bother. you have to strike a ballence with just about anything in life. all im sayn is IMHO the hardwear moves to fast in relation to cost for a large % of gamers.
im not sayn this because I cant afford it but because it is a matter of numbers. from what iv read and from what iv seen less people are willing to keep paying these prices. the market is getting smaller. sure there will always be people with all the mony in the world who are willing to spend 3K every year if need be but i dout there is enough of those people alone to keep PC gameing as a whole afloat. dev's and hardwear makers are loseing sight of this in there race to out do each other. whats the good of makeing a solid gold car that will do 800MPH if only a few can afford it.

fordfan25
11-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by CAF96th_DieHard:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fordfan25:

I just want to clarify that "keep up or get out" is not my personal stance and I didn't mean to come off that way. But the fact remains that pc gaming requires a continuing investment in hardware with each passing year and you just won't be able to play the newer titles with P3's and MX400's. The industry is trying to bring the latest technology to the buying public, but it's also true that fewer people are willing to "keep up" or even want to. In truth, I'm probably one of those. After spending close to 400 on a 6800gt only to see it surpassed by the 7800 and so forth and so on, I've resolved that enough is enough.

One day a console is going to be produced that will compete and exceed the PC in perfomance vs. value and that will be the end of PC gaming for all intents and purposes. It's inevitable because what's really is hurting PC gaming sales is software piracy and, IMHO, that has more to do with the shrinking sales than inability to run the software. Fewer companies are willing to risk the capital when they know that days after the title is released it will be available for d/l all over the net. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i gotcha.and i agree in that PC gameing does requir a constant investment in hardwear. how ever im of the mind that its getting to be a bad investment real fast. and im not argueing aginst you so please dont take it that way http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. i think alot of it is a couse and effect sorta thing. like you say piracy is deffenitly a problem. but so is the end product in most cases. piracy is a issue for console gameing as well. sure you cant down load the new GTA game and burn it your self as far as i know but i know plenty of "vendors" that can get a pirated copy of any console game you want in a matter of days for 5/10 bucks in valdosta gorgia wich is nit a big city.
but it cant be ignored that piracy is not the only resone PC game sales are so far behind consoles. cost of hardwear both start up as well as constant upgradeing,OS softerwear,virus issues,bugy games,compatabilty issues do to the 5 billion deffernt cards that come out every 5 minuts lol, patchs that may take weeks or months to get. it all adds up to alot of would be PC gamers sayn WTF is the point of gameing on a PC. PC gameing can be as much work as fun. now some guys like the challenge ect but most people want to play games to have fun.

sorry if im not composing this well or not expressing my thoughts clearly. its 2:00 in the morning lol. but basicly what im tryn to say is i think the pc industry realy needs to take a step back and reprioratize things.

fordfan25
11-09-2005, 12:01 AM

water=1 looks good to me. gives a little bit of a ripple so i can get a good sense of distence but it always ran good on my old p4 1.6

polak5
11-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by VF2_Snowman:
I've never flown a plane but I have parachuted over water and it is very difficult to judge your altitude over the water. Look at the horizon to judge your height, don't look down at the water.
Well said, ever since i changed my settings to normal, ive had some difficulties judging altitude over sea... AFter the second sea crash i started using the horizon. Now im used to it.

Professor_06
11-09-2005, 04:46 AM

You are a crackup. No.. you are really watching a 19 inch 2D CRT. It is not reality. its a program. Im still lauging about your yoyo. ROGLMAO.

BTW you can still play Ateroids or Donkey Kong on old machines.