PDA

View Full Version : JOYSTICK UPGRADE: ONE STEP FORWARD AND TWO STEPS BACK

Riptide_One
09-03-2006, 09:16 AM
I recently upgraded to a CH Combatstick, CH Pro-Trottle and CH Pro-Pedals. The new would be great fun if it were not for a new and very upsetting problem. After about 10 minutes or so of game play, the game crashes. I have been playing the IL-2/FB/PF series games since IL-2 first hit the market in 2001 and I can't remember if I ever had this problem before. In any case, I've got it now.

Specifically, after 10 minutes of game play, the graphics become jerky and then locks up. The frozen frame is accompanied by a window that says the following:

NVOpenGLPbuffer: il2fb.exe Application error
The instruction at "0x0eaaf220". The memory could not "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

When I click OK, the game closes and the desktop reappears as if nothing was wrong.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have updated to Direct-X 9c, but that did not help. Rebooting did not help. So, I think I have reached the limit of my troubleshooting abilities.

As I have said, I have not had any problems with IL-2/FB/PF up until now. If anyone has any ideas about things I can try to fix this problem, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Cheers

R_Target
09-03-2006, 09:33 AM
I've seen this one before. Looks like a video card problem, not a CH problem. I would try some different video drivers. You could post in the Community Help forum and maybe get a better answer.

Riptide_One
09-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by R_Target:
I've seen this one before. Looks like a video card problem, not a CH problem. I would try some different video drivers. You could post in the Community Help forum and maybe get a better answer.

R_Target,

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Cheers

fordfan25
09-03-2006, 10:24 AM
might be a good idea to make sure your card is not getting to hot.

FatBoyHK
09-03-2006, 11:48 AM
pull out your graphic card and clean those dust off the exhaust fan. Interestingly it can fix many problems which may seem not related to overheating.

It works for me, I do it periodically, every 3 months or so, before any problems pop up.

Dew-Claw
09-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Depending on the type of card, try moving it to another slot, if you can.

Sometimes they get mad at thier neighbors http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

If possible give it a slot that has more space for airflow.

leitmotiv
09-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Regrets, Riptide_One. I bought the CH pedals and fighter throttle about a year ago and have had no trouble with them. I recently bought their brand new throttle quadrant version and it sent each flight sim I've tried with it (other than IL-2 which doesn't support a quadrant) into chaos. Here is something which may help you (didn't help me with the quadrant)---be sure you are on the internet when you first plug in the USBs for your CH gear. Any patches you need get automatically installed. I had trouble with my pedals and fighter throttle when I didn't do this. My drivers and Direct X are all up-to-date so I have no idea why my quadrant is so screwy. I'm contacting CH.

VonKlugermon
09-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Yep, sounds like what I just went through. I had game crashes after about 10-minutes of playing for a couple of weeks, then the screen turned "plaid". New AGP vid-card solved the problem.

Willy

VW-IceFire
09-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Could be two problems related to each other.

1) The video card as everyone has pointed out.

2) The power supply which is causing the video card to not get enough power and then it faults which causes the crash.

Assuming all those CH products plug into USB ports...you may have been riding the edge of what your PSU can put out in your configuration and you've just put it over the top. So after 10 or so minutes of gaming...the video card is starting to draw peak loads of power to render all of that flight simming fun and that pushes the whole thing just a little over.

Possibility. Particularly if you have a cheaper PSU.

Riptide_One
09-05-2006, 09:23 AM
First of all, I want to thank everyone for their input and suggestions.

I did clean the computer, which included removing the video card and cleaning it. Its a Nvidia 7800 GTX. I confirmed that the fan on the card and the two fans in the computer box are working.

Game shut down occurs as I am descending for an approach to land but sometimes, it drags out until I am on final.

I am using a Dell Dimension 9150, which nearly 9 months old. I don't know what level of quality power source Dell uses. I am not comfortable with the idea of changing the power source in my computer.

I don't have software to monitor the computer's temperature.

I am not sure what else to do about this problem.

Any way, thanks again.

Cheers

horseback
09-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Should be able to read the power rating of your power supply on its side, if you open the case. You need at least 400W for that video card in most cases. Replacing a power supply is a relatively simple task, because the connectors are uniquely keyed and it's (usually) hard to screw it up.

Also, you may have a conflict with another card (most often, the sound card); they may both have been assigned the same IRQ, and I've found that moving the offender (the other card) to another slot can make a difference.

Finally, you might want to see if your motherboard chipset has its drivers up to date. Adding Pacific Fighters to my computer a few years back caused me all kinds of grief, and it wouldn't run worth a damn until I got my Via 4 in 1 chipset drivers updated (and I must say that Abit didn't make it easy for me...)

leitmotiv, did you get the latest version of CH Control Manager? I'm using 4.0, and my Quadrent worked fine. Other possibilities:

1) your USB hub needs to be a 2.0 powered hub--is your USB connection to your mobo the latest & greatest?

2) USB connectors can tarnish-clean the contacts of your connectors (computer and the quadrent) with a Qtip and rubbing alcohol, and get the dark colored gunk off of them. You might be surprised.

hope these helped.

cheers

horseback

Riptide_One
09-05-2006, 10:08 AM
horseback,

My PSU puts out 375W.

Changing the video card's slot is not an option.

Many thanks for your advice.

Cheers