PDA

View Full Version : Who's running PF flat out (Perfect, 8*AA etc), and with what?

tagTaken2
01-24-2005, 01:02 AM
At least an FPS of 30+ over New Guinea...

buying a new rig, and would like some idea of what it'll take.

So. Impress me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

LuckyBoy1
01-24-2005, 01:27 AM
Flat out? All eye candy engaged? Well, that's not fair because the newer nVidia cards are capable of the pixel shader 3.0 and when you use pixel shader 3.0, it really drops the frame rates badly. You could use my rig to do as you ask, but it's not the rig to get. What I beleive you are looking for is a 939 pin AMD 64 with an FX CPU and 1 Gig of RAM along with an ATI x800XTPE video card.

LuckyBoy1
01-24-2005, 01:59 AM
And if that 30+ figure is for the minimum end of frames per second, you'll need one of these...

http://www.cray.com/products/x1/index.html

-HH-Quazi
01-24-2005, 03:40 AM
With performance like that, is there a need for a new rig? I sitting here thinking the same. I have plans on building a new AMD 939-pin 3500/3800 rig myself. But with the rig I have now, 3.06GHz 533MHz FSB 1GB ram and an XT PE with the eye candy maxed at 6X/16X in Perfect mode, I am getting fr's anywhere from the mid 30's and 40's all the way to the mid 60's. I mean that is like $1200 to $1500 I could spend elsewhere. I do want the kids to have their own computer so they don't have this one tied up so often, (I have three teenagers). But I can do this for $400 and purchase them a low end Dell and that's all they really need. So why go on with the new build? I really don't know why. I guess it's the gamer/tinkerer in me. Something I can push the limits with. I am sure that the XT PE could use a bit more cpu power. This 533MHz FSB is choking me up a bit I'd say. Bottom line I guess is that I have always wanted to build my own gaming rig.

VF-29_Sandman
01-24-2005, 05:16 AM
rumor has it there's a 512 meg video card out. if that wouldnt do it, i dunno what would http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Vargtass-0e
01-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Just did some nice tests using an amd 939 socket 4200 +, 2 gb of high-end 3200 ram and a tricked out clocked as hell gf 6800 ultra. And wouldn`t you know, the fps is still what I would call " crappy, " that is 30-50. Kamikaze02 track ran crappy as usual. So .. what would I recommend. Probably not to upgrade yet. Performance is disapointing in this game anyways imo.

Tests were done in 1280*960, no fsaa, 2xq and 4x with aa ranging from none to alot. Water = 3

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-24-2005, 09:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vargtass-0e:
what would I recommend. Probably not to upgrade yet... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. With the state of pc performance technology, I'd wait until the next gen to build/rebuild if i were running a 3.06 with an Xt PE and a gig of RAM.

I upgraded and built a new rig. My old rig was a P4 2.8 533fsb, 1gig RAMBUS, and a 5900 Ultra 256. My new one is a P4 3.4c, 6800 Ultra, 1gig PC4400.

The speed increase is there, but it's not that mind-boggling, crazy fps increase with all the eye candy cranked up that everyone hopes for when they upgrade. I AM able to turn up the AA and AF (4x, 8x respectively) so my IQ is better and I get less stutter under heavy load, but the improvements could be considered moderate.

I'm happy with my rig, but I say again, if you're running in the 3ghz range now...wait to rebuild.

Like HH-Quazi, I have a "houseful" of kids (4 teenagers and one 7 yo) and can more easily justify the frequency with which I build as I pass them down, but I still have to weigh the paybacks in performance improvement.

TB

LuckyBoy1
01-24-2005, 10:01 AM
There are 512 MB video cards in development, but we are a good 6 months away from seeing them and the only game I know of now that would even use that is Doom 3

tagTaken2
01-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Really?

Ah, nuts...
This is not encouraging.

Current setup is 1.7 P4, 512 RAM, FX 5600 128, so overdue for upgrade.

Reluctant to go with AMD for the heating issues (ie, going to be 37 degrees Celsius today... and tomorrow, no aircon), which are probably overhyped anyway.

Anybody tried the SLI thingy from nvidia's nForce4 motherboards?

(Can't afford this http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif)

griego
01-24-2005, 01:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
With performance like that, is there a need for a new rig? I sitting here thinking the same. I have plans on building a new AMD 939-pin 3500/3800 rig myself. But with the rig I have now, 3.06GHz 533MHz FSB 1GB ram and an XT PE with the eye candy maxed at 6X/16X in Perfect mode, I am getting fr's anywhere from the mid 30's and 40's all the way to the mid 60's. I mean that is like $1200 to $1500 I could spend elsewhere. I do want the kids to have their own computer so they don't have this one tied up so often, (I have three teenagers). But I can do this for $400 and purchase them a low end Dell and that's all they really need. So why go on with the new build? I really don't know why. I guess it's the gamer/tinkerer in me. Something I can push the limits with. I am sure that the XT PE could use a bit more cpu power. This 533MHz FSB is choking me up a bit I'd say. Bottom line I guess is that I have always wanted to build my own gaming rig. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like P4 with a ATI XT is the way to go.

I've got a AMD a64 3500 with a geforce 6600gt.

I get 50fps steady down to about 30fps in perfect, but with only 2Q AA and 2X ansio. if i go higher on the AA and ansio It bogs down. I either got the the wrong video card for AA,ansio or the system is to slow.

With all the hype surrounding the new systems.
I thought it would be a bit better than what i got. But then again I am playing in Perfect mode and still get decent fps.

Next upgrade for me would be a 6800 ultra.

ASM 1
01-24-2005, 02:02 PM
OK, I'll bite http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Running Black death track (not new guinea but makes your system squeal nonetheless....)in PF 3.04....

at 1024X768X32 I get 41fps avg http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif perfect, 6AA 16XAF

this is on a

P4 3.4E (s478) @ 3.7 (memory at 265FSB)
ATI X800 XT PE (AGP) OC'd to 560/573 (default 520/560) Cat 5.1's
Maxtor 160GB SATA

blah blah

would I play at these settings....maybe hmm quality is nice, but I'd turn them down a notch or two to get the frames back up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

mothyp
01-25-2005, 02:00 AM
maybe you need to concentrate on what you can visibly see rather than numbers!
i have:
xp2600 333fsb
1024 pc2700
rubbish mobo
sblive 5.1
fx5900 128mb

and i could run perfect but not at its top conf ini level with 2xAA and i couldnt run a qMB 16hurris vs 16 he11 without 1fps during heavy gunfire
i have just installed my 6800gt last night and i can now run the same QMB with 8xAA and have a playable game

my limiting factor is my 17inch mointor i always have the same numbers 42/28 fps with v sync on (1024 85hz max)and this hasnt changed with my 6800 but the quality with the same fps is far supierior with the same numbers,

dont forget i now have mid range cpu and im getting good results and thats without the time to tweak last night.
i had a sneaking suspicion that my numbers wouldnt change much (fps) as for the short time that i had a 19inch monitor i got better fps for the same settings with 110hz max

i think to be realistic you need to think about the visuals and not worry about having the same picture with 90 fps rather than 40 fps,as my game runs freely in 40-50 fps

mothyp
01-25-2005, 03:00 AM
btw before i get shouted down saying that a monitor cant bottle neck you, i am only working off my own observations between a 17inch monitor at 85hz and a 19inch at 100plus hz
i beleive my cpu/mem bandwidth bottle necks at about 50-55fps as that was the result on the 19inch,after 100hz there was no increase in fps but if i limited it to 85hz i got the same 42/28 combo

the top end figure was taken from choosing df1 and the middle green base chooisng a mk1 hurricane and choosing the furthest back cockpit view with my 17" it was 42fps with my 19" it was 50-55fps

-HH-Quazi
01-25-2005, 09:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by griego:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
With performance like that, is there a need for a new rig? I sitting here thinking the same. I have plans on building a new AMD 939-pin 3500/3800 rig myself. But with the rig I have now, 3.06GHz 533MHz FSB 1GB ram and an XT PE with the eye candy maxed at 6X/16X in Perfect mode, I am getting fr's anywhere from the mid 30's and 40's all the way to the mid 60's. I mean that is like $1200 to $1500 I could spend elsewhere. I do want the kids to have their own computer so they don't have this one tied up so often, (I have three teenagers). But I can do this for $400 and purchase them a low end Dell and that's all they really need. So why go on with the new build? I really don't know why. I guess it's the gamer/tinkerer in me. Something I can push the limits with. I am sure that the XT PE could use a bit more cpu power. This 533MHz FSB is choking me up a bit I'd say. Bottom line I guess is that I have always wanted to build my own gaming rig. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like P4 with a ATI XT is the way to go.

I've got a AMD a64 3500 with a geforce 6600gt.

I get 50fps steady down to about 30fps in perfect, but with only 2Q AA and 2X ansio. if i go higher on the AA and ansio It bogs down. I either got the the wrong video card for AA,ansio or the system is to slow.

With all the hype surrounding the new systems.
I thought it would be a bit better than what i got. But then again I am playing in Perfect mode and still get decent fps.

Next upgrade for me would be a 6800 ultra. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will have to say that if eye candy is important to you, the ATI cards are the way to go. It is my understanding that the ability to crank up the eye candy has alot to do with core speeds. And it may not be that important to some. But once you have expeience the AA and the AF maxed out, it's like having to go back to Excellent settings from Perfect Landscape. The X800 series of cards handle the eye candy cranked up better because their core speeds start at 475MHz with the X800Pro, imo. I read several forums and this seems to be the concensus. It seems that the Nvidia cards hang with the ATI cards until you try to turn the AA and AF up. Then it's all down hill. This isn't a knock on Nvidia. I am sure they are great cards. But for my personal tastes in the AA and AF settings, I will stick with the X800's.

ASM 1
01-25-2005, 11:06 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif nuff said http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif tried 6AA 16AF last night http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif and was only running tracks to do benchies http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

mothyp
01-26-2005, 01:48 AM
i was doing a bit more testing last night with my new 6800gt and it slowly dawned on me why 42 fps is a recurring theme on my system,

its more or less half of 85 fps that also being the maximum fps i can get, and it just so happens that 85hz is my max refresh rate which explains why when i had the 19" mointor and a refresh rate of 100hz i was getting a recurring 50-55 fps,

so this must prove that my monitor is the bottle neck, if iwas to invest again in a 19" capable of 100hz or better (at 1024) then i would also see the increse in average fps.

i also must re affirm the advice given on these boards about when testing new hardware and settings do one then load up PF then play a df for 20 seconds,then turn off and do the next setting.

when i put in my new card i just turned up everything and everything was fine untill little stutters started to happen,last night i put everything back to the original settings and used the up it and play theory, im now up to perfect(water1) and 4AA with heavy traffic

oh dear im waffling now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif