PDA

View Full Version : why no points for shooting bailed out pilots in chute?

Is3Starsis
05-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Just a question as I shot a pilot in his chute just after he bailed out from a Bf.
My thought was: the aircraftkill might not be credited to me, but the pilot is mine for sure.
the postmission screen shows 0 points... hell, why no points for pilotkills?
After all, it's about killing both aircraft & his driver I should say, or am I wrong here...

AKA_TAGERT
05-04-2008, 10:35 AM
cuz silk is cheap

Next Question

PBNA-Boosher
05-04-2008, 10:41 AM
You used to get 50 pts for it, and I only know that because I accidentally killed a pilot in his chute when I ran into him and exploded. in this community it is generally looked down upon online, and I tend to agree with that crowd. Yes, it's a war simulation, but we're all here to have fun and many of us just view it as bad sportsmanship.

You're better off not counting points, IMO, because then it turns more into an arcade game than a sim. Grab a bunch of buddies and try team tactics. Personally, I find it a lot more rewarding to help someone get a kill by boxing in the enemy or dragging him than I find it hunting alone.

TheGozr
05-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Caught in action Is3Starsis http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Is3Starsis
05-04-2008, 11:23 AM
but we're all here to have fun and many of us just view it as bad sportsmanship.

I know man, but he came across my flightpath
and I seized the opportunity to wack him, anyway I'm not a chutehunter and I grasp your concept... fun for all is the most important thing! so no hard feelings please http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

with Kind Regards,

PBNA-Boosher
05-04-2008, 11:31 AM
No hard feelings, was just sharing an opinion is all.

SeaFireLIV
05-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Is3Starsis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but we're all here to have fun and many of us just view it as bad sportsmanship.

I know man, but he came across my flightpath
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, of course he just manouevered his chute into your way. I hate it when they do that!

Pirschjaeger
05-04-2008, 12:22 PM
I real life, they counted the planes only, didn't they?

Is3Starsis, check your private messages please.

Fritz

rnzoli
05-04-2008, 12:32 PM
In real life, they also reported whether the pilot was killed or not. Although the "scores" don't reflect it, the after-action reports usually did. And yes, chute killing and strafing after crash landing did occur on every side. And remember, in-game enemy AAA wil definitely shoot you down mercylessly anyway.

By the way, back to original question. The in-game scoretable gives no points for pilot kills, but for example, in SEOW campaign your enemies' score will be reduced due to a loss of a pilot as well, in addition to the crediting the loss of the airplane to you.

LEBillfish
05-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Cute shooting r/l went on more often from all sides then most will admit to....However, there are always 2 ways to look at things...

1. If you don't do it that pilot may very well come back and kill more of your own.
2. By setting the standard of NOT shooting pilots in their chutes, it sets a standard of honor that hopefully the enemy will follow as well........It a lot like not shooting those surrendering.

Now 1 may sound like the cold realities of war, and 2 may sound naive and foolish, yet in the end there has always been a kindred bond between people of similar duties across the lines.

Be it obliged to pick up enemy sailors floating at sea, or not shooting someone unarmed surrendering, or letting a pilot escape from their plane going down to the best of their ability leaving them unmolested.

Now everyone has a reason or excuse to do the wrong thing, yet it's doing the right thing that grants one pious righteousness when faced with another.......In the end however, it all happened r/l.

Yet here, we have a code of honor from better days we try and follow having the luxury of high-mindedness those in actual combat find tested beyond mosts imaginations. So the sim takes that into account, and you'll find online few things will grant you as much grief as chute shooting.

K2

Bearcat99
05-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Even though chute shooting did happen on all sides... no one bragged about it.. There were no chute shooting medals..... because it was killing an unarmed now defenseless man.. and no one wanted to condone that officially even though it did happen..

Sergio_101
05-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Even though chute shooting did happen on all sides... no one bragged about it.. There were no chute shooting medals..... because it was killing an unarmed now defenseless man.. and no one wanted to condone that officially even though it did happen..

In the transcripts of the new years day air battle
at Y-29 (Bodenplatte) it seems obvious that killing the
German pilots attempting to bail was a important
objective.

As I see it the Germans bailed in an area where they
could have walked home. They would have come back
the next day and fought again.

As to IL-2 1946?
I never pass on the chance to shoot an enemy chute.
It's fun, challenging, and robbs the enemy of most of his points!
That's the fun of it. Instead of 50 points for a fighter kill
he gets 10 points.

Besides, your only killing electrons........

Sergio

Zeus-cat
05-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Shooting pilots in their chutes is against the Geneva Convention. I'm not sure if that was the case during World War II, but it is now.

Shooting paratroopers in their parachutes is always allowed as they are enemy combatants.

EDCF_Rama
05-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
Shooting pilots in their chutes is against the Geneva Convention. I'm not sure if that was the case during World War II, but it is now.

It wasn't the case during WWII.
This new disposal appeared in one additional protocol (1st Protocol) that was established and signed August 12, 1949 (Ch. 42, alinea 1 and 2).

x6BL_Brando
05-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Truth is it would have to be a luxury item, shooting down parachutists from an aircraft in a dogfight. The luxury being the clear space on your six to spend the time manoeuvring to achieve the kill, not hitting the chute with your plane, sacrificing altitude etc.

B

julian265
05-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Challenging my eye.

SeaFireLIV
05-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Well, just like in real life, some pilots chose NOT to shoot chutes. I choose to be like those pilots online or off.

That said, a squadm8 was once shot in his chute and I flew around waiting so I could get the Jerry who did that to him when he was in his chute. Chance never came... But that`s slightly different story.

Basically, if I don`t see anyone shoot me or a friendly in the chute , I won`t shoot you in a chute.