PDA

View Full Version : engine cutting out

hoodoouk
11-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Hello, I am still pretty new to IL2 FB and despite going easy on the throttle, not ticking 'complex engine management' and flying the game in 'easy' mode,I get my engine cutting out about 50% of the time, which means ending the mission early - does anyone have any advice?
Thank you!

VF-17_Jolly
11-24-2008, 01:02 PM
You are flying I-16 or early Hurricane?

dodgy fuel feed via carburetor if you apply negative G to your aircraft you engine will get flooded and stop, get into the habit of doing a half roll before you dive and all will be well

FoolTrottel
11-24-2008, 01:22 PM
You do not have to end the mission.
You can try and restart the engine, throttle back, press the engine start key, and keep trying...

Mr_Zooly
11-24-2008, 02:54 PM
and trying....and trying....etc
it can take quite a while to get your engine restarted, if like me then you are..erm..whats that word again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

WTE_Galway
11-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by hoodoouk:
Hello, I am still pretty new to IL2 FB and despite going easy on the throttle, not ticking 'complex engine management' and flying the game in 'easy' mode,I get my engine cutting out about 50% of the time, which means ending the mission early - does anyone have any advice?
Thank you!

There is a reason why in this old war movies the planes did a rolling dive rather than just pushing the nose down. It wasn't just because it looked cool in formation it had a purpose http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Try it .. not only does the engine not cut but you can see where you are going better as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TX-EcoDragon
11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Mr_Zooly:
it can take quite a while to get your engine restarted, if like me then you are..erm..whats that word again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

If it's taking a long time to restart, you probably have too much throttle - set it to around 15% and give it a shot.

In the real world, you shouldn't have to crank the engine - or do much of anything - simply restoring +G is enough. . .and in the real world the onset isn't so sudden.

The best cure is to avoid pushing negative G.

Xiolablu3
11-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Try flying a later plane which doesnt have the early negative G cutout troubles.

Spitfire V, VIII or IX.

Bf109F4 or G2

La5 or La7 series

Am62, AM63 (both Zeros), or the Ki84

these are all great choices for a beginner. None of them have the neg-g cutout.

ALso I would put on complex engine management, it really isnt very 'complex' at all.

general_kalle
11-24-2008, 03:55 PM
the trick is to hit the engine butten two extra times

On-off-on
also make sure your in a slight dive.
shouldnt be a problem.

Treetop64
11-24-2008, 05:30 PM
...and that you are not up into the stratosphere. You'll need to come down low (2000 metres or so) to get enough air in the manifold to start.

sw25th
11-24-2008, 06:06 PM
windmilling prop helps with starting of the engine.

M_Gunz
11-24-2008, 09:17 PM
You're not running out of fuel by any chance? There's only certain planes that have negative G cutout.
Just checking, maybe you have unlimited fuel as part of 'easy'.

hoodoouk
11-25-2008, 02:51 AM
Firstly, many, many thanks to everyone for all their helpful suggestions! Two things that confuse me: It often happens when I'm flying straight and level so I'm not pulling negative G(I'm on easy too and should have unlimited fuel),secondly, is the 'start engine button' that keeps being mentioned the same as 'toggle engine (I)? By the way, I'm flying a I16 type 24 in the pilot career mode, and no other planes are available yet. Other than that, it's a fantastic game, I love it!

Pigeon_
11-25-2008, 04:29 AM
Yes, those buttons are the same.

Flying straight and level in the I-16 is damn near impossible. Just make sure you don't force the aircraft too much to stay on it's intended path. Let her dance around a bit. The thing you should avoid at all costs is suddenly pushing the stick forward a lot. Go reallyeasy on her. Try this and report back if you still have the same problem. It would help if you could record a track and post it for us to see.

na85
11-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Yep. The I-16 has a carburetor, so if you push the stick forward and it's not REALLY REALLY gentle, you'll cause the engine to sputter.

hoodoouk
11-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks very much, I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

sw25th
11-25-2008, 09:47 AM
remember to treat your kites like you treat your women. get inside her 5 times a day and take her to heaven and back.

mortoma
11-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by TX-EcoDragon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr_Zooly:

If it's taking a long time to restart, you probably have too much throttle - set it to around 15% and give it a shot.

In the real world, you shouldn't have to crank the engine - or do much of anything - simply restoring +G is enough. . .and in the real world the onset isn't so sudden.

The best cure is to avoid pushing negative G. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly, I accidentally pulled the mixture too far out on a 172 Skyhawk once at 4,500 ft. and the engine went silent. But the prop was still windmilling ( doing the same job as the starter motor ) so quickly pushing the mixture knob back in restarted her right away.
Yes, I was low on experience in those days, this was my very first flight after I successfully passed my PPL checkride.

My flight instructor had taken me all the way through getting my license without properly showing me how to adjust the mixture. Unfortunately all too common. Most flight instructors are afraid of trying to teach this. They won't touch it!!

Mr_Zooly
11-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I always thought that the cutout seemed a little sudden, wouldnt have thought that a slight neg movement would be quite so catastrophic.

Freiwillige
11-25-2008, 01:55 PM
The cut out would be raher sudden. No fuel no engine running. Well what about windmilling you ask? Do you guys realise how much compression these motors have?

hoodoouk
11-26-2008, 01:44 AM
it was happening a lot last night, and even though I tried throttling down and pressing 'I' (several times) it didn't seem to make any difference at all.Once it's gone, it stays gone!

julian265
11-26-2008, 04:17 AM
What joystick do you use?

Most/all joysticks that use pots will eventually start to give a rough input to IL2, no matter how smooth your movements. This causes engine cut outs, or flame outs (jets) with the most ridiculously small movements.

As a work around, try lowering your stick's sensitivity around its center. (eg 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100)

hoodoouk
11-26-2008, 05:59 AM
I use a Speedlink Black Widow joystick.
I'll try that sensitivity chnge out -thanks!

TX-EcoDragon
11-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by hoodoouk:
it was happening a lot last night, and even though I tried throttling down and pressing 'I' (several times) it didn't seem to make any difference at all.Once it's gone, it stays gone!

If flying through turbulence, slowing down can help keep it from hitting you so hard that the engine cuts out. When you say it's happening a lot, as if you weren't doing something to cause the negative G, that's what it could be.

Also, set power down around 15% as soon as it happens, and if it doesn't restart on it's own, keep the power down around 15% and hit I (in that area - it doesn't have to be exact at all - just less than 20%).

Originally posted by Freiwillige:
The cut out would be raher sudden. No fuel no engine running. Well what about windmilling you ask? Do you guys realise how much compression these motors have?

Yes, it's too sudden - it does take a few moments of negative G to starve the engine in the real world. . .and you'll almost never encounter cutoffs during flight through turbulence. . .and yet you will most of the time in IL-2.

I've flown hammerheads, loops etc. in real airplanes that have gravity fed fuel systems and conventional carburetors, and I've NEVER had an engine even start to sputter unless I've done something wrong to prolong the negative g portions. Now, slow rolls might do it if the aircraft is really lsow rolling (Stock Stearman for example), but even in the Stearman I can do a half slow roll in the Cuban eight where I'll follow it up with inverted lines for two seconds, and that's never caused fuel starvation - sure it depends on the design, as well as the fuel flow demanded by the throttle position, but my point is - it's just about instant in all the aircraft in IL-2, and it's not in the real world.

And yes, other than during slow flight, the props should keep turning and certainly keep turning long enough to restore + G. Small props, on a low speed aircraft, with high compressions powerplants might very well stop but even they will spin down rather than just stopping. . .there's lots of energy stored in a spinning prop, especially when it's attached to an airplane that's still flying. The point is, in MOST cases a pilot shouldn't have any tasks required of them to restore power other than to restore + G. IL-2 has improved to the point that now you don't often have to press I - just cutting the throttle and restoring +G is often enough.

Freiwillige
11-26-2008, 02:52 PM
I think I remeber something from Oleg way back that due to the weird starting procedure the I-16 Rata cannot be restarted in flight!

Pigeon_
11-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Well, sometimes in a very intense dogfight, my I-16 engine also cuts out. I can't remember much trouble with restarting it. Sometimes you have to try a couple of times though...

Restarting your engine while you're attached to a TB-3 is much harder. I only succeeded once. The lesson to be learnt here is not to switch off your engine ("to safe fuel") while you are attached... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TX-EcoDragon
11-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Freiwillige:
I think I remeber something from Oleg way back that due to the weird starting procedure the I-16 Rata cannot be restarted in flight!

Well, it doesn't have an onboard electrical system so it couldn't be cranked. Of course, if the prop doesn't stop, that shouldn't matter. . . and it should stop in most cases at flying speed, which is why it was changed in subsequent patches. . .sort of. This does beg the question though, why press "I" if the engine already as fuel, and spark (since it's turning, magnetos will continue to provide power to the spark plugs). As I said - the pilot *shouldn't* need to do anything but restore plus G. It seems like in the current version it will usually start up once back at plus G - but not always.

Crikey2008
11-26-2008, 07:25 PM
a few recommendations:

1st: a pilot's first reaction should not be to restart the engine...your first reaction should be to remember your airmanship training (if one was fortunate to have received some). So...

when your engine has cut out... first climb and get as much height before stall speed as you can.
2nd: scan your instruments to see if they are registering a cause for engine cutout. Note your height
3rd: switch off both magnetos (something to do to fill in time while you accomplish the next step)
4th: identify a place to force land.
5th: open your door (good practice for GA aircraft in RL - you might also want your door open so someone else hears that you're in trouble)
6th: the climb should have allowed the flooded carbie time to become relatively unflooded.
7th: switch magnetos back on (something to do while you're accomplishing the next step
8th: if you have enough height (above 3000 ft say), dive steeply and gain airspeed sufficient to windmill the prop at good rev speed...sometimes that could be sufficient to restart the engine
9th: if no start, invert and dive and toggle engine switch
10th: if no start begin your forced landing checklist.

hoodoouk
11-27-2008, 03:35 AM
By the sound of it, I need to update the game. I went here: http://www.ubi.com/UK/Games/Info.aspx?pId=481 but there was an error when I tried to open the download page.Does anyone know where else I can get the v2.01 patch? Thanks again chaps.