PDA

View Full Version : Gameport Joystick-USB Converter??...

volkware.xyz
01-10-2005, 11:05 PM
Greetings,

Help.

I just recently had the good fortune to acquire an SB Audigy 2 Value soundcard and to my utter dismay, belying the awesome quality of its performance, there is no game port for my joystick.

I have an MS Sidewinder Pro flightstick as well as a pristine backup stick... these items are now useless unless I can find a solution.

Not long ago I tried searching for a gameport/USB converter, but the stuff I found didn`t work - the devices plugged in but had no functionality. I assume something needs to be calculated for USB devices, and a mere physical connector will not suffice.

I do have access to my brother`s disused MS USB Sidewinder Pro, but that deprives him of a stick if he needs it. Besides, I don`t want to toss out two perfectly good sticks.

Anybody know of any hardware out there that actually *does* properly accommodate a gameport device through a USB connection?

volkware.xyz
01-10-2005, 11:05 PM
Greetings,

Help.

I just recently had the good fortune to acquire an SB Audigy 2 Value soundcard and to my utter dismay, belying the awesome quality of its performance, there is no game port for my joystick.

I have an MS Sidewinder Pro flightstick as well as a pristine backup stick... these items are now useless unless I can find a solution.

Not long ago I tried searching for a gameport/USB converter, but the stuff I found didn`t work - the devices plugged in but had no functionality. I assume something needs to be calculated for USB devices, and a mere physical connector will not suffice.

I do have access to my brother`s disused MS USB Sidewinder Pro, but that deprives him of a stick if he needs it. Besides, I don`t want to toss out two perfectly good sticks.

Anybody know of any hardware out there that actually *does* properly accommodate a gameport device through a USB connection?

dieg777
01-11-2005, 12:26 AM
It is getting very hard to use gameport devices now. As you have found out gameport to usb converters usually do not work and even some of the newer soundcards have cut down gameport sockets- esentially they are for MIDI applications and not for joysticks. I would suggest you look for a pci gameport card to supply you with the right connections but even these are scarce- maybe someone else has a source? Try e-bay ?
Or you might have to bite the bullet and go usb for your joystick

good luck

rssmps
01-11-2005, 02:54 AM
There are several options that you can try.

I got one of those radio shack adapters. Works with my ch pro pedals and my gravis game pad. I'm planning to use this adapter and make a throttle quadrant from my old gravis joystick.

Before I got my 2zs, I was using onbard sound and didn't have a gameport so I took one of my old pci ESS sound cards and used it. You end up with 2 sound devices. Just set the default to the your primary sound and then use the gameport on the 2nd sound card.

John_Stag
01-11-2005, 03:06 AM
The converters usually come programmed to handle a standard Joystick with throttle and rudder; ie, four axis and four fire buttons. If there's more buttons than that on your stick then a PCI game port card is the only way to go.

AWL_Spinner
01-11-2005, 03:52 AM
I tried a converter but it didn't convert my hatswitch properly. Everything else was fine though, including pedals.

However, for less than the 10 a converter would have cost me (I took it back) you can get a PCI Soundblaster Live card with Gameport off Ebay! It's easy to use old soundcards as gameports, just disable the audio portion of the device in Windows Control Panel et voila.

I actually have three audio devices in my box now, the Nvidia Soundstorm processor on the motherboard (used for normal audio), a Yamaha SW1000XG (used for recording and MIDI) and the SB Live (used as a gameport).

I just can't get rid of my trusty analogue CH Flightstick Pro and pedals.

Capt.LoneRanger
01-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Pitty you chose the value version. The full audigy has an extra gameport to fit in an additional slot. Most motherboards have such an option, too.

If your board supports a gameport (you can enable the gameport without enabling the onboard sound in the bios), or if your Audigy has a port for a gamport-connector, I'd go to ebay and search for an according gameport-connector-slot. I bet there are some available for very few bucks.

Gameport-adapters *CAN* simulate the hats, too, but you'd have to get a more advanced one, and that usually costs around 20 bucks, sometimes even more.

volkware.xyz
01-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the tips, people. I still have my SBLive Value, though I`d bet installing its software might bugger up something with the Audigy 2 install. I`ll check the motherboard to see if it has a gameport since it has an onboard sound system - that would be a pleasant surprise. I didn`t know you could buy cards dedicated solely to gameport usage; PCI or ISA, or both?

Hawk_341
01-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Warlok, find myself in the exact same predicament as you.....just purchased Audigy 2 OEM card to replace my SB Live 5.1, now have nowhere to plug my gameport joystick into!! Tried one of the Radio Shack gameport/usb adapters yesterday with my MS Sidewinder Precision Pro stick...nothing but problems!Think I might try the old "two soundcard trick" as suggested by one of the other posters here, Audigy 2 as the active card, Live 5.1 just there for the gameport....will let you know how it works out tonight.
Any tips on doing this much appreciated...
Hawk