PDA

View Full Version : New SOW BOB Engine

Sgt_2Bristo
04-15-2007, 01:26 PM
There has been not much to nothing known about what this new engine is capable of, only a few little comments which don't really tell us anything http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif.

I always used to think that to make a fantastic engine it had to be a propertier with no source material, but once I saw the Source engine done by Valve it completely changed my perception of game especially since it used the Havok.

My question is: why don't Oleg and his merry men of animators and graphical designers do the same? Would it change our perception of the game if they did that?

Understandably the Source engine is a first person shooter engine but what about the technology being used in the Lucas art Star Wars Force Unleashed, especially the physics simulation.

I found the site as to where they are getting the physics simulation technology from and thought how awesome it would be in this engine, but I don't know anyone else's opinion so here it is
http://www.pixeluxentertainment.com/

Pollack2006
04-15-2007, 01:43 PM
There was some mild excitement when the Aegia physics card was released and whether or not BoB would include support for it but it faded pretty quickly. Whatever special effects Oleg's team want to include i'm sure they can do it in-house. There's not much need for knockout graphical effects in sims as by their nature it's the simulation aspect rather than the whizz-bang aspect that customers want.

I'm sure the BoB engine will be licensed out to other developers eventually but compared to the number of potential customers for a good FPS engine a flight-sim SDK will have very few takers.

major_setback
04-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Nice demo from that site:
http://www.pixeluxentertainment.com/demo.htm

Sgt_2Bristo
04-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Ok, I guess what I should be really asking is how much are they going to be spending on production values.

No offense to the original engine but it really didn't impress me some of the special effects and production values that went into it.

When I say that what I mean is the minimal explosion effects (especially with bombs), the boring buildings and fake vehicles and also the fact that even with updates the only major changes were with the aircraft and terrain.

On the other hand the one of the many aspects that impressed me and many others was the destructible physics of the aircraft.

BaldieJr
04-15-2007, 02:52 PM
So you're saying: overall, you don't like the game and it must be changed so that you do.

I admit I may be mistaken.

Bearcat99
04-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Sgt_2Bristo:
Ok, I guess what I should be really asking is how much are they going to be spending on production values.

No offense to the original engine but it really didn't impress me some of the special effects and production values that went into it.

When I say that what I mean is the minimal explosion effects (especially with bombs), the boring buildings and fake vehicles and also the fact that even with updates the only major changes were with the aircraft and terrain.

On the other hand the one of the many aspects that impressed me and many others was the destructible physics of the aircraft.

Well if you ae comparing the original engine.. or even the current one to some of the FPS or similar genres out there... you are talking apples and oranges.. as for flight sims.. well this one is pretty derned good..... up high in some ways MS is very competitive.. but DL IMO there isnt much that can touch this sim.

Originally posted by Pollack2006:
There's not much need for knockout graphical effects in sims as by their nature it's the simulation aspect rather than the whizz-bang aspect that customers want.

I disagree with you there... I think the knock out graphics are one of the strong suits of this sim. Especially down low... but even up high.. the water? The clouds? The cockpits.... IMO all those things add up to the quality that simmers are looking for as well as the FMs DMs, mission generation etc.... One of the things that has always set this sim apart.. even when it was just IL2 wasd it's graphics. I'll never forget when I had the sim for @ 2 weeks and I was watchung some of the ingame tracks... and there was one with a P-39.. and a flak burst blew out a wheel from the well.... that was awesome man!!! The sunsets in this sim......?!! All that adds up to the simming experience... for me anyway.... and IMO all the other sims I have flown were lacking in the total area.. they may have done some things better than this one... but overall as a total package.... it doesn't get much better than this ... yet anyway. I think BoB will only be better... in every respect except aircraft variety... and that is understandable considering the plan of 1C.

carguy_
04-15-2007, 03:37 PM
For sure we don`t know much because Oleg as stated many times before wants to keep it secret.

Second,we aint getting any info about anythin that`s going on anyway here.

Third,as a fanboy I think Oleg has got it all figured out.A simulation is a much more advanced project than any FPS.If I was naive I`d thought BoB`s going to be something we never ever seen before,and that it is going to make us fall of our chairs but ye olde gamer experience tells otherwise.

The ideas for bob are still in works but also many of them are now ready and just waiting for implementation which I don`t doubt take most of Oleg`s and his team`s time.

Xiolablu3
04-15-2007, 03:44 PM

You cannot compare a game with a map which is 800 miles wide and a view distance of 40 miles, with the latest corridor shooter where the view distance is 100 metres.

IL2 engine is a technical marvel, the action which takes place and the size of the maps and view distance.

WHen you have to load a map 800miles square with 60 aircraft, 100 tanks, 150 AAA guns, 5 trucks, clouds, grass, houses, builidngs etc into 512mb of memory (the minimum spec), you cannot have buildings which look like Halflife2 buildings! They have to be much much simpler.

Add to this fact that the IL2 engine is very old now.

PFflyer
04-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Graphics are nice to have, and it will be great to have more accurate FM and damage models and performance at all altitudes.

This does not mean that Oleg and crew will not commit the same mistakes and travesties they did in IL2, they can assign performance figures to aircraft as they wish, alter history, like the ridiculously under performing 190A-4 we have in this sim that is apparently powered by a volkswagen beatle engine.

Sgt_2Bristo
04-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Ye true, I have to apologise I was comparing apples and oranges but really what my point was is how technology has improved the genres and I just wonder if the flight sim genre will get the same treatment, well it has to, I mean look at flight simulator X, that's had a huge graphical and general content improvement.

Now an open question: How do you think Oleg and his team should create this new engine, what improvements graphically, effects wise and gameplay should be implemented?

Chivas
04-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Ye true, I have to apologise I was comparing apples and oranges but really what my point was is how technology has improved the genres and I just wonder if the flight sim genre will get the same treatment, well it has to, I mean look at flight simulator X, that's had a huge graphical and general content improvement.

Now an open question: How do you think Oleg and his team should create this new engine, what improvements graphically, effects wise and gameplay should be implemented?

In an earlier post you mentioned the boring buildings of Il-2. You can compare the buildings in two sims...take a look how Oleg modeled Berlin and then take a look at CFS3's, and WOV's London and there is quite a difference in quality.

I have FSX and it has definitley improved the ground terrain over CFS3. Now the rivers flow downhill, but the buildings still hang off of hills with no foundations, and the ground textures are still an out of focus quaqmire. I'm hopeing when DX10 is implemented that FSX will start to shine when they introduce this patch at the end of the year.

SOW BOB should be the next benchmark in ground terrain (although KOTS is starting to look very nice) as most of it will have to be hand drawn to depict 1940's England. FSX is still trying to combine satilite shots with modeled buildings and the transition between the two is still poorly done. MS is trying to depict the whole world so they have to take some short cuts. This is one of the reasons SOW BOB will take a very long time to complete because of the huge amount of work required to seemlessly place the buildings and terrain features.