PDA

View Full Version : Stuka dive bombing question

p-39driver
09-24-2004, 03:26 PM
Aside from the fact that one might over shoot the target once seen in the floor window THEN initiating the attack,what scense is there to rolling inverted once the target is spotted in the floor window?

O.K.I see it in the window,rollover,apply air brake,pull back on stick and go for it.

The reason for the roll over has me curious.

Has it something to do with negative versus positive G's that the pilot would have to tolerate?

p-39driver
09-24-2004, 03:26 PM
Aside from the fact that one might over shoot the target once seen in the floor window THEN initiating the attack,what scense is there to rolling inverted once the target is spotted in the floor window?

O.K.I see it in the window,rollover,apply air brake,pull back on stick and go for it.

The reason for the roll over has me curious.

Has it something to do with negative versus positive G's that the pilot would have to tolerate?

Korolov
09-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Because it is generally easier to pull "up" than it is to push "down."

Agamemnon22
09-24-2004, 03:31 PM
It's faster than pitching down.

Platypus_1.JaVA
09-24-2004, 04:01 PM
A good pilot never pulls negative G's. Altough I can't give you any answers, Positive G's are considered to be more bearable then Negative G's. You also see that alot of aircraft are designed to withstand more Positive then Negative G's.

BBB_Hyperion
09-24-2004, 05:03 PM
The reason for the roll is to pull gs while the plane itself pushes on to other side. So the bomb can be almost force neutral and bombed with precision. On other approaches you have sideforces
to take care that make it harder to hit your target.

Resident_Jock
09-24-2004, 05:38 PM
Basically because it's easier on the pilot and the plane. The pilot will redout from negative G before he can blackout from positive G... Try it! Go into the sim, using any plane, and get some speed up. Now, begin a steep dive without rolling. You pilot probably either passed out or came close to it. Try again after inverting your plane. Your pilot probably didn't even do anything, at the very worst you saw the onset of a greyout. Not only that, but it probably took less stick pressure to pull the plane down inverted than to push it down in level flight.

p-39driver
09-25-2004, 03:43 AM
Hi All,
Thanks for the info.
Now it all jives.