PDA

View Full Version : Tempest question

blackpulpit1970
04-23-2008, 09:36 AM
I now fly this great plane exclusively online on warclouds and love her with all my heart, sorry Dora but I found a new love. I was wondering if others who fly her stagger there convergence like a P-47, mg's and cannons set differently or do you keep them both the same. Being that the guns are unsynced i was wondering if this may make a difference or not, as of now i have them both set the same, what are your thoughts on this.

crucislancer
04-23-2008, 12:27 PM
The Tempest's cannons all fall under the "Cannon" convergence, so you can't stagger the convergence like the P-47.

blackpulpit1970
04-23-2008, 12:41 PM
That answers that then, thanks.

VW-IceFire
04-23-2008, 04:28 PM
For sure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Why do you ask? Are you questioning your convergence settings? Mine are at a compromise of 260 meters. Close enough to make good shots at close distance but long enough to effectively strafe ground targets and do decent amounts of deflection shooting.

blackpulpit1970
04-23-2008, 06:27 PM
No im fine with my settings, i was just wondering if people mixed them up or even if it was possible to do in the tempest.

skarden
04-24-2008, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

Why do you ask? Are you questioning your convergence settings? Mine are at a compromise of 260 meters. Close enough to make good shots at close distance but long enough to effectively strafe ground targets and do decent amounts of deflection shooting.

really,you set them at 260? I'v been setting mine at 200 across the board(cept 50's which i set at 150).it seems to make deflection shooting a bit easier thanks to the shorter distance but does make sniping pretty tricky(outside 400 its pretty much no good), i think i'll stretch it out a bit and see how it "feels" since i know you REALLY love ya tempest and are no doubt quiet handy in it(and got me into it thanks to storm clouds http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif),cheers icefire http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

x6BL_Brando
04-24-2008, 05:33 AM
Slightly OT, but it would be a welcome addition in BoB if individual a/c convergence settings could be carried over without the necessity to go into the arming-screen and adjust them every time you select a different aircraft

Just my 2p

B

DKoor
04-24-2008, 07:17 AM
I never really use close conv with cannons for quite a while now... but remember one occasion when I did; I was required to shoot at target over 400m away from straight 6.
I put crosshair dot slightly over his left wingtip and shoot... some shells hit him.
If I put crosshair dot over his fuselage (like I normally would if he was closer) I'd miss.
A little tricks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

blackpulpit1970
04-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Yeah convergence is really a personal thing for sure. The tempest is a weird but loveable plane when it comes to gunnery, there are times when i say i cant believe i missed him, so close and perfect setup but missed and other times i say holy cow i nailed that guy!. One thing flying the tempest and shooting that becomes noticable realy quick is that you should fire just a second earlier than usual, there is a slight pause before the plane fires it seems and for deflection shooting this is paramount. My settings are (?) for both and it works well for long and short shots (just incase my enemies are reading this). Long shots and setting convergence at say 400 or more is a waste for me because yes you may hit the enemy but it dosent always do enough damage and if you miss you just alerted him and now he knows your there. Another thing in the tempest for me is when bounced and enemy is on your six just run straight out full speed with slight jinx back and forth till help arrives, many times i did a big loop or heavy turn and bled my speed to much and although i can still dogfight pretty well it is there friend that comes in and gets me always. I love the plane because of it's complex engine management and constant trimming needed which is fun to me and really feels good when you get the enemy down sign. 90%PP and 95% power + WEP and rads closed is great for speed and no overheat and 95%PP when i need just a little more juice and she moves fast. We have hooked up a few times DKOOR online and next time get on comms and we will fly together, DEY_BLACK_USA is my feared name...lol.

crucislancer
04-24-2008, 10:07 AM
I usually have it at 225m, but this applies to everything I fly, for the most part. On occasion I might go up to 300m if I'm doing some dedicated ground attack stuff. I used to stagger the P-47 guns, but I found that I get quicker kills with less ammo usage if I use a matching convergence and fire in range.

Choctaw111
04-24-2008, 10:17 AM
I set mine at 250 for the Tempest. What a BEAUTIFUL plane that is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I would actually like to be able to adjust EACH gun for aim/convergence, not just in pairs. It would be a nice feature to be able to take your aircraft to a gun range, prop up the tail wheel (for those tail draggers) and make fine adjustments on the aim for each of your guns. That way you get a shot pattern that tailors to your own specific needs. That's how they used to do that sort of thing.

blackpulpit1970
04-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Ok mines at 225, but forget you read this ok.

VW-IceFire
04-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by skarden:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

really,you set them at 260? I'v been setting mine at 200 across the board(cept 50's which i set at 150).it seems to make deflection shooting a bit easier thanks to the shorter distance but does make sniping pretty tricky(outside 400 its pretty much no good), i think i'll stretch it out a bit and see how it "feels" since i know you REALLY love ya tempest and are no doubt quiet handy in it(and got me into it thanks to storm clouds http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif),cheers icefire http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've tried to set them in closer and sometimes for kicks I do but I end up being pretty good for the close to dead 6 shots but terrible for getting a tracking deflection shot that I prefer to make. I find pushing the deflection out a bit further puts the bullets in the right spot.

It may also be because I'm used to that convergence...I'm not sure. To each is own on that.

I also wish that we could set them individually. I'd definitely stagger the guns over about a 25-50m range with each set at a slightly different distance so as to setup a kill box infront of me.

Phil_K
04-24-2008, 04:31 PM
I've always been at 300m as I used to fly the F4U pretty much exclusively, and read that 300m was the set USN convergence.

I've never really understood why people make such a deal about convergence, as I think so much of the skill in shooting is instinctive. When I'm shooting well, the shots I pull off defy explanation - if I was worrying about things like convergence I suspect I wouldn't be able to do them....

HayateAce
04-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Yes, love the Tempest.

http://www.robbinssports.com/sporting-goods-store/images/gared-sports-premium-fan-aluminum-basketball-backboard-1850b.gif

VW-IceFire
04-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Phil_K:
I've always been at 300m as I used to fly the F4U pretty much exclusively, and read that 300m was the set USN convergence.

I've never really understood why people make such a deal about convergence, as I think so much of the skill in shooting is instinctive. When I'm shooting well, the shots I pull off defy explanation - if I was worrying about things like convergence I suspect I wouldn't be able to do them....
True about making some fantastic shots. I've made some incredible shots where even I was blown away by how good the shot was. Could I do it again repeatedly? Probably not http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Its like I have this moment where everything just comes together in my brain into a singular point and it just happens.

But I think the big deal about convergence is so that you think about it prior to entering into combat. Its the last thing I think about in combat...I react instinctively most of the time and save most of my thinking to overall air combat maneuvering. When you do set it right you instantly score better kills as when you hit your hitting with several bullets in the same location rather than spraying all over the place.

The people you see with the default 500m convergence tend to score far fewer hits and complain far more about how X plane takes too many "hits" (when they are barely scratching the paint). Usually anyways...I know a few people stuck with 500m and some pushed it out to 1000m so everyone has their thing.

Phil_K
04-26-2008, 05:39 AM
It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg thing really. Do you adjust your brain to the convergence, or do you adjust the convergence to your brain?

It is weird though how when you get in the flow of shooting, your mind does strange things. It's like a bandit can disappear under the nose of my plane for several seconds, and yet I can roll and snap shoot where I *think* he's going to be and chop him in half. That should be impossible. And if during the manoeuvre I start to actively think about it, it is!

Jaws2002
04-27-2008, 01:22 PM
For a plane like the Tempest 225-300m is good convergence. The thing has enough firepower to kill at long ranges. Shorter then let's say 225m really is not needed, because with the guns placed far away from eachother on the wings you will miss most shots over 400m and tempest guns can kill even at 500m. If you set the convergence further away you won't get enought hits in the fuselage if the target is at close range.

stathem
04-27-2008, 04:26 PM
It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg thing really. Do you adjust your brain to the convergence, or do you adjust the convergence to your brain?

It is weird though how when you get in the flow of shooting, your mind does strange things. It's like a bandit can disappear under the nose of my plane for several seconds, and yet I can roll and snap shoot where I *think* he's going to be and chop him in half. That should be impossible. And if during the manoeuvre I start to actively think about it, it is!

+1

Did that once. (or twice). In particular I remember taking a virtually 90? deflection shot at a D9 that was going into a cloud - shot into the cloud and PK'd him. Felt quite bad about it, must have been a real p*sser for the chap in question.

R_Target
04-27-2008, 05:09 PM
I'd adjust the convergence for whichever shooting style you prefer. If you get right up on the bandit to deliver a lead enema, go with 120-150m. If you find yourself taking longer sniper shots, try 220-250m.

VW-IceFire
04-27-2008, 06:18 PM

So true. This sort of intuition based flying/gunnery is why the AI still fails so miserably. Theres a certain creativity to the whole thing and I'd have to say that a serious portion of the kills I've made were while I couldn't even see the plane I was shooting at.

I have tried to train myself to close in and fire at very close distances but I found I was ultimately unhappy with that. Very close being less than 200 meters. I'm just a good a shot at 250 or 300 meters as I am up close for the most part so I keep my convergence out there...my brain is happy and it works out ok in most planes.

I do find that it does help, provided the bandit is cooperating to a certain degree, that I don't take the first shot I get. I pause for a moment...probably a split second although it feels longer...and I kind of lock the target in my brain. When I do this its almost always first shot hits and possibly kills. During that time I think about convergence and bullet drop and that sort of thing...not so much think but just "understand" I guess. Its very much a feeling thing for me. I think some people may calculate it (wingspan, gunsight circles, etc.) but I have to feel it.

blackpulpit1970
04-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Agreed. One thing you said Ice in another post on the tempest and is so true, for all planes but the tempest especially is "Fly to your strengths not theres". I have that written down next to me and everytime i enter a fight i say that with an Obe-one-Kinobe voice over and over which helps. You learn to appreciate altitude a whole lot while flying her and hold onto it till needed. Also never go straight up in her after an enemy for more than a few quick seconds or else she bleeds energy rather quick due to the heavyness of the plane, rather I straighten out and keep visual on contact and gain speed, then do a wide turn keeping speed up and come back into the fight. The beauty of flying her is the learning process of what she can and can't do and how to do it, she can be tempermental if you disobey her rules and loveable when you do. I also tend to fire from a distance of around 300m when closing which if I hit cripples the enemy and if I miss still gives me the opportunity to take a second and sometimes 3rd shot, better than waiting till im right on him for me. She likes a shallow dive the best and not a straight down which seriously throws the rudder to the side and this need a fast correction for a shot. I keep rads closed and prop pitch at 90 for cruising and wep always on, then when i need real speed i go to 95 to 100 prop pitch and 100% power, never needing to go above 100% power and she never overheats for me. She is a fantastic ride for those who take time to understand her rules and learns to obey them, if you can do this she is a killer online. Do you have any rare photos of the tempest besides the ones on the Hawker tempest sight to share, i would love some for my display, thanks mate and take care.

Phil_K
04-28-2008, 04:50 PM
I always think that the most difficult shot, regardless of plane, is the coup-de-grace shot. It's like you can damage a bandit with some spectacular shots, but getting that last decisive shot can be very difficult and very dangerous - your smoking enemy is flying slow and low, and you put yourself at risk both from stalling and his buddies.

No matter how clearly he gets in your sights, you frustratingly keep missing. I don't think there's a way to do this "off the cuff" - you have to keep concentrating, and use far more ammo than you'd want to.

crucislancer
04-28-2008, 05:15 PM
I always think that the most difficult shot, regardless of plane, is the coup-de-grace shot. It's like you can damage a bandit with some spectacular shots, but getting that last decisive shot can be very difficult and very dangerous - your smoking enemy is flying slow and low, and you put yourself at risk both from stalling and his buddies.

No matter how clearly he gets in your sights, you frustratingly keep missing. I don't think there's a way to do this "off the cuff" - you have to keep concentrating, and use far more ammo than you'd want to.

Agreed. I can recall a few that nearly finished me because I was busy trying to finish someone off.

My gunnery has improved by leaps and bounds over the 1+ year I've been playing this game, but there are still days that I line up what I think is an easy shot and miss completely. Other days, I can't miss, and odd-ball deflection shots are a no brainer. It's very weird.