PDA

View Full Version : back ups

vincemagda
01-07-2006, 02:31 AM
Hello Flyers

I will be upgrading my PC this coming week. One of the upgrades is a new HDD. I woul like to keep all my pilot profiles, flown missions, own missions etc.

Which files do I back up for IL2 original, FB & PF?

Thanks

vincemagda
01-07-2006, 02:31 AM
Hello Flyers

I will be upgrading my PC this coming week. One of the upgrades is a new HDD. I woul like to keep all my pilot profiles, flown missions, own missions etc.

Which files do I back up for IL2 original, FB & PF?

Thanks

han freak solo
01-07-2006, 11:11 AM
If you have enough space elsewhere, you could back up the entire game folder. That would save you a reinstall.

For instance I run my game from my 2nd hard drive. I didn't install it there. I put it there after I got my 2nd drive. I just had to go back in to the game folder to find the proper IL2FB short cut to paste back to the desktop.

So, all you'd have to do is copy your game folder to your backup drive, then copy the game folder back to your new drive after you have installed the OS. Then dig in your game folder for the shortcut to paste to the desktop.

That will save you the long effort of reinstalling IL2, then IL2FB, then AEP, then PF, then all the patches, then all your records, samples, and skins.

OR

Just install the new hard drive as a 2nd drive. You can copy the game over there. And all your documents, files, etc. Then you could reformat and reinstall your OS on the 1st drive making it all fresh and clean.

vincemagda
01-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the sensible advise.

I was wondering though, are there any files in the windows folders that could be lost when doing the fresh install of XP?

Your second option is 1st prize, I'll go for that.

han freak solo
01-08-2006, 02:54 PM
If you have a pre "service pack 2" machine, that and all Windows updates will have to be redownloaded and reinstalled.

With a high speed internet connection, it shouldn't take you long to get everything back up to snuff from the Windows update website. Same thing to any anti-virus software updates.

There may be a way to back up the updates, but I have never done it.

vincemagda
01-09-2006, 11:37 AM
My rig is a service pack 1, but downloading updates is not a problem, even if you leave the machine downloading the whole night, because fast speed internet connections in South Africa is more of an exception than the rule for home use. Dial up rates are quite cheap. One has to have software like Getright though to resume your down load again at the right point if the line drops.

Anyway thanks again for the advise, I'll just copy the whole game folder across (mine are all under Ubi Soft, I just hope that there are no essential files that are in the Windows folders that I might need. I wouldn't know where to find them.

Cheers