PDA

View Full Version : Steering with Rudder Out

mwestman
02-11-2006, 10:07 PM
I lost my rudder in an air attack. I should be able to control direction by idling one screw. Is this possible in the game?

Even in battery charge mode with one screw operating I can't get the boat to turn.

jasonsagert
02-11-2006, 10:37 PM
No

I guess your screwed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

ESC and return to base is the only option. Unfortunately there is now way of operating your engines independently in the game.

gamera67
02-11-2006, 10:56 PM
What happens if you try a knuckle left or right?

jasonsagert
02-12-2006, 01:25 AM
That's a great question gamera67. Anyone know? If I ever end up with a rudder-less boat, I'll try it.

Cheers,

J

gamera67
02-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Steering with the screws question has come up before and it has never, to my knowledge, been answered if you can steer using the knuckle maneuver.
Basically a knuckle is a sharp turn using the screws
I am curious if it will work, but I have never been rudderless to try it out myself.

JonZ
02-12-2006, 12:05 PM
I've been in that situation in a couple of times.

Unfortunately, I play 100% real, so I have to abandon career, but start another mission http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Foehammer-1
02-12-2006, 03:54 PM
I playes SHII a loooong time ago, and does my memory serve me well if i remember that you could operate engines independently from each other?

blastomatic1759
02-12-2006, 08:55 PM
that would be a nice option though , i wonder how difficult it would be to walk a U-boat? i know driving a boat without rudder power is no big deal , well as long as its a twin screw.

Blitzkaiser
02-13-2006, 01:44 AM
"I lost my rudder in an air attack. I should be able to control direction by idling one screw. Is this possible in the game?"

Not possible if a boat has a keel isn't it?
Also have you noticed that sometimes even if you take out all the propellers of a C2 the ship stills run(for a long distance until I give her a coup de Grace so not due to inertia)?
so you know the answer of your question

Jose.MaC
02-13-2006, 02:57 AM
The propellers are too close in a sub for to be used this way. So I doubt anyoe would use that.

panthercules
02-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Jose.MaC:
The propellers are too close in a sub for to be used this way. So I doubt anyoe would use that.

They may be close together, but you don't think that if you ran one forward and one backwards that you could get the boat to turn? I'd sure be giving it a shot if I'd lost my rudder. Seems like it ought to work, enough at least to make a few turns every once in a while to get home, although I'd hate to have to try to get back into Lorient using that method. Of course, all I'd have to do is get reasonably close and I'm sure one of those friendlies cruising around nearby would be happy to give me a tow. Too bad they didn't model this, but then again I'm sure there were a few other things they left out that would be higher on most people's priority list.

blastomatic1759
02-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Jose.MaC:

im gonna have to disagree with you on that one , the only thing that would slow down the twin screwing effect would be the length of the boat not how close the screws are. the better engine seperation the better the ability to twin screw or walk the boat , yes , but it really doesnt matter if you know what youre doing with the boat. boats are like cars, the smaller the more versitile , the bigger the more sluggish.