PDA

View Full Version : Eating with the fishes

SwissSkipper
04-20-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm really sorry...I think I talked about this before but I can't find the thread. I had one of my awesome ideas again...

Why wouldn't you design the torpedos better so that they would also explode form a 30 degree angel.For example put detonaters on a better angle or on different side...so pretty much a watermine with propulsion.

Long

ªç˜º¦"˜""€"˜¯"˜¦2""¤¦ˆ¯ˆç"!!!"* ˜º˜¥¦♣ €"˜""""€ªº♫˜º"""*"€¶▬"*¨"*'"*""*"*ˆ"*"²▼ !"#$%&'M€'"""""5""""'▘""""""œ"""""""´

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Long Live Europe "

SwissSkipper
04-20-2005, 11:58 AM
WOW HUGE BUMP!!!!!

No engineers or historians around here, or at least marine fanatics.

SwissSkipper
04-20-2005, 12:35 PM
<span class="ev_code_GREEN">everyone hates me... </span> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

axeman3d
04-20-2005, 12:45 PM
Ok, I'll give you a hint why they dont have impact triggers all over themselves. They'd blow up the sub as they loaded the torpedo or tried to launch it. Even if they had switches and linkages small enough and tough enough to place all over the head of the torpedo, the torpedo has to fit tightly into a tube that prevents anything sticking out of the head at too great a distance or angle. That's why the impact triggers are mounted right up front, and why they dont extend right around the circumference of the warhead. Imagine if they did use spines like a mine, you'd fit one or two on the top but no more, as any further down the curve would get caught while loading or firing. See? Easy.

SwissSkipper
04-20-2005, 12:51 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING!!!!!

How about making the entire head a detonator? so when it hits something hard enought it triggers the explosive. ANd how come the magnetic torpedos bounce off ships too...

archer49d
04-20-2005, 02:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SwissSkipper:
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING!!!!!

How about making the entire head a detonator? so when it hits something hard enought it triggers the explosive. ANd how come the magnetic torpedos bounce off ships too... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or make it sense the magnetic field of the ships hull, and when within a few yards of a big piece of metal (a ship) it would explode. They bounce off, either because the magnetic field of a the ship didn't trigger it. You need to put magnetics right under the ship so they get as much influence as possible. Beyond that you're talking simple mechanical failure.