PDA

View Full Version : AI and parafrag bombs

Tater-SW-
09-08-2006, 07:37 AM
I did yet another AI test last night and I discovered something VERY interesting.

The B-25 (and presumably the A-20, though not tested yet) will drop parafrags in level flight, at any alt (I tried low enough that the parafrags damaged the bomber) as long as there are no enemy ground targets. Ie: the country for them is selected as "none." (it was a straight gattack waypoint, no target SET)

Once any "blue" units are in place, the B-25 pops up, then dives back down to the set alt, then pops up again, passes the release point, and does a roll while dropping the bombs.

I think the problem is related to the strafing aspect of them. In order to make guns passes they must dive, and unfortunately they execute the same attack regardless of the weapons they employ. Of course the rouble with them strafing at all is that they will attack like fighters and make passes until there are no ground targets, or more likely, they are shot down by AAA.

I think the solution is for them to set the AI to drop just the way they do for targets that belong to side "NONE" are present. Perhaps the strafing could be reserved for targets with SET gattack waypoints, if not, just remove the ability for the A-20G and B-25J to strafe.

tater

Tater-SW-
09-08-2006, 07:37 AM
I did yet another AI test last night and I discovered something VERY interesting.

The B-25 (and presumably the A-20, though not tested yet) will drop parafrags in level flight, at any alt (I tried low enough that the parafrags damaged the bomber) as long as there are no enemy ground targets. Ie: the country for them is selected as "none." (it was a straight gattack waypoint, no target SET)

Once any "blue" units are in place, the B-25 pops up, then dives back down to the set alt, then pops up again, passes the release point, and does a roll while dropping the bombs.

I think the problem is related to the strafing aspect of them. In order to make guns passes they must dive, and unfortunately they execute the same attack regardless of the weapons they employ. Of course the rouble with them strafing at all is that they will attack like fighters and make passes until there are no ground targets, or more likely, they are shot down by AAA.

I think the solution is for them to set the AI to drop just the way they do for targets that belong to side "NONE" are present. Perhaps the strafing could be reserved for targets with SET gattack waypoints, if not, just remove the ability for the A-20G and B-25J to strafe.

tater

Tater-SW-
09-08-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm going to make an assumption that there are a few "flavors" of AI in Il-2. Fighter/Fighter-bomber, Level Bomber, dive-bomber, and maybe Torpedo Bomber.

It would be really neat, assuming that the AI code is not redone for each plane idividually, to have the AI type as a pull-down under "Properties" in the FMB. It would allow much more variability in messing with the AI for mission building. You could assign a plane as a "torpedo bomber" even if it was armed with bombs, for example. Then the plane would happily fly at mast-height and drop (for mast-height/skip bombing). It might also be used for other low level attack profiles (1 pass, then RTB, too).

It would possibly get rid of the annoying shallow dive bombing instead of level bombing we see in the B-25J...

tater