PDA

View Full Version : Squadrons!

jamesaq1989
12-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi, I was thinking of making a squadron but I hear it takes a lot of workand my skills are average at bes!.I was wondering if I should bother making one at all and would be grateful of any tips or suggestions from anyone.

Thanks in advance

James

LStarosta
12-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Don't unless you're doing it with people you already know. Just join an existing squadron.

Zeus-cat
12-23-2004, 10:21 AM
A squadron is as much work as you want it to be. I am in one and for most of us it is pretty low effort. We have a scheduled meeting time each week when we fly (if we can). There are 7 people in the squad and usually 4 or 5 show up.

If people want to build missions (about half the guys are really into that), then we can play their missions, but we usually fly a coop campaign and let the computer do all the work.

I agree with LStarosta. Start it with just a few people you know, say 2 or 3. Then add people only after you have they pass a probationary period.

Zeus-cat

SKULLS_Exec01
12-23-2004, 10:38 AM
Yep, I have to agree with the guys above, join a squadron and see if its even for you.
But at least start with just a few guys you fly with regulerly and have fun with.
We started in the late 1990's and was into the BIG squadron thing of 20 members plus for a long time but the work, problems and overhead was a lot.
But now we are just stay with a small solid core and we love it - 100% show up most times and work is min, if we need it, we do it, otherwise its been - there done that...

jamesaq1989
12-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys!

Could you possibly recommend any squadronds that would take on a very average pilot!?

Thanks in advance

James

-HH- Beebop
12-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Squadron's are a great way to go. You make long lasting friendships and almost every squad has people into flight training, mission building, skinning, and most importantly tech help so that you can get the most enjoyment out of the game.Check the "Squadrons" forum. Link is at the top of the General Discussion Forum. Look for a squad that sounds like you.

Remember too that you are evaulating them as much as they are evaluating you.

Our squad had a prospect that decided we weren't the quite right fit for him although we liked him fine. No hard feelings resulted.

Good luck.

VMF223_Smitty
12-23-2004, 05:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamesaq1989:
Thanks guys!

Could you possibly recommend any squadronds that would take on a very average pilot!?

Thanks in advance

James <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James:

Check out our web site at http://417sqnrcaf.com/Opforindex.html

We are a Japanese squadron and are currently looking for a few more pilots. Great bunch of guys and a lot of fun flying the Guadalcanal Campaign right now

Bearcat99
12-23-2004, 09:51 PM
It is better to join a squad first. Most squadrons look at pilot skill as a secondary factor. Skill can be learned...... people skills count more. The ability to learn from your mistakes and work with diverse personalities is the key to surviving and thriving in squadron life. You might also want to go here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=frm&s=400102&f=48310655) to check out more squadrons.

I also suggest that should you decide to start your own squad down the line make sure you have things like a website, some form of comms and a general idea of what you want to do with the squad. Dogfighting, coops, what kind of settings will you prefer..... as a squad etc.

Good luck.

-HH-Quazi
12-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Yea. Find a squadron that you fit with and create friendships. Relationships come a little later. You never know what will come of those friendships. Our squadron came to be from forging friendships then striking out on our own. We were a few older guys in a squadron full of kids. Don't get me wrong, we got along great with the younger m8's. After a while though, and speaking for myself, it started to feel like I was having to use my imagination like I used to do with my plastic army men when I was a kid. Anyway, for whatever reason the other older m8's also felt out of place. So after resigning our commision(s) and leaving on a positive note, we decided to strike out on our own.

I'm not saying that this is a blueprint for anyone to start a squadron. But I think you should have a few friendships forged and relationships made in order to be a successful group. It takes a strong core group to work together to be successful imho.

It can be allot of work to run a squadron. We've decided to keep our group to no more than 8 members to cut down on the management of the squad. We are at 7 members now. The main thing is to have a strong leader, and we have that in Col. Beebop. Then a great tactical officer for our week-end excursions, and Maj. Zues-Cat is the best. There are a few more important positions, but I used these two m8's since they have posted in this thread.

As far as the age thing goes, all of us are over 30, with the exception of one member that has been with for a long time. He is 15 years old. He actually likes to hang with us. We take care of him and consider him a little brother. He is mature beyond his years to get along with this bunch. loll

I am sure you will find a group of guys you will get along with. And it makes the sim that much more immersive and fun imo. Good Luck m8.