PDA

View Full Version : How do I conduct a patrol

blubalou
08-08-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm new to SH III Last night I conducted my first career mission. Didn't have much luck, but at least I made it home alive.

I need advice. How do I patrol? Do I just cruise on the surface looking for prey or should I be cruising submerged listening for my targets?

For that matter how should I come and go from my home port? Is it ok to just chug along at Full or Standard speed from home to my patrol zone or should I be submerged most of the time surfacing at night to top off my air tanks and recharge my batteries?

Help please!

blubalou
08-08-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm new to SH III Last night I conducted my first career mission. Didn't have much luck, but at least I made it home alive.

I need advice. How do I patrol? Do I just cruise on the surface looking for prey or should I be cruising submerged listening for my targets?

For that matter how should I come and go from my home port? Is it ok to just chug along at Full or Standard speed from home to my patrol zone or should I be submerged most of the time surfacing at night to top off my air tanks and recharge my batteries?

Help please!

Fish40
08-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Patroling at full speed is a great way to end up running out of fuel! I usually plot a coarse useing the map which came with the game as a guide. You will find well known convoy and single ship routes on it. After leaving port, I usually travel at 1/3 speed, or about 9kts to my assigned patrol area. Remember to plot a coarse which will take you through the shipping lanes. You may, and usually do find action befor you reach your patrol grid.

When I reach my assigned grid, I will drop down to slow speed. No need to hurry here. The orders say to patrol for 24hrs, but stay longer. Every couple of hrs, dive to 30m and do a sound check. I have picked up alot of contacts that I would have never seen this way!

When I do pick up a contact on the hydrophones, I set a coarse to the contact bearing, and the chase is on! If I recieve a position report of a ship or convoy, and it's not too far out of the way, I plot an intercept coarse (how's your geometry?) to the target.

Well, that's how I do it. I'm sure others have different methods which are equally effective. Choose what suites your taste, and practice, practice, practice! Good luck.

BerntBalchen
08-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Hi there, the easy thing to do is using your map and plot a course with the "triangel" up in the meny(right top corner). Make shure u zoom in on the map so u dont lay the course over land or something. Then lay the course out to sea and the grid u need to patrol. When u get to the grid, u can plot a new course in ex. zig zag or square pattern in the grid. I always patrol on the surfase, but every 5-6 hours(ingame time) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif i go periskop depth and use the hydrofon.(quick butten "H") If u finnish your 24 h search without any sightings, there are many area in the north atlantic that have big traffic of convoy and singel vessels. Go in to your game folder and check out the documents folder. There is a jpeg there with all the shipping lanes during WW2, very helpfull. Good hunting Kaptein http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EDIT:sorry no one had answered when i started to write http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Realjambo
08-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Welcome aboard! We all do things differently BluBalou, but here are my tips.

Consider where your patrol area is i.e. is it in the middle of the Atlantic? (chances are you may have to rely on convoys coming your way, depends on where your home port is) or is it near the coast of the British Isles? (perhaps a better chance of coming across British merchants as they sail to and from ports)

I wouldn't worry too much about what you achieve once you arrive in your patrol 'square' as you may not get any contacts for the whole 24 hours, that said you might be kept busy for there and get yourself some tonnage. Personally, it's what you do on the way TO and AFTER your 24hr patrol that can make the difference i.e. got a load of torps left once your 24 hour patrol is up and near an enemy port? - then try harbour raiding, or try getting into convoy lanes (see the map that came with the game)You could even use up all your torps before you get to your patrol and the just sit there 'til the 24hrs is up.

With regards to submerged or surfaced cruising, as the war goes on, you may find it safer to be submerged in daylight hours and surface at night to avoid being seen by enemy aircraft and ships. Remember in foggy weather your hydrophones can hear further than your crew on watch can see.

At the end of the day, your alloted patrol 'square' is somewhere you have to transit to, and from, what you do before hand and afterwards is up to you. Seek and ye shall find my friend!

Be sure to come back and shout if you need more help. Also check out he community manual.

hueywolf123
08-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Welcome aboard BB,
Just to add to RJ's advice, when at periscope depth, remember as the war went on aircraft get better at spotting you so go a little deeper unless you want to take a look. Hit h on the keyboard every so-often and do a hydrophone check. Remember to keep a constant eye on your battery and the Co2 levels. Running out of battery at depth is not good for your health.
Have your navigator check the depth below keel every so often as well, as crash dive will take you to 50m, not good if you've only got 20m under you. Try to avoid tangling with destroyers at all costs, if there is no choice, make sure you are in very deep waters.
I hope all the info here helps, good luck and good hunting, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

bunkerratt
08-08-2006, 03:12 PM
you can also try using the mapped convoy's http://files.filefront.com/SH3_Mod_MapConvoyszip/;5372007;;/fileinfo.html

issoisso
08-08-2006, 03:34 PM
do you guys think it's better to patrol on the surface and do a hydrophone check every few hours or go slow underwater and surface just to recharge?

also, is there a better depth to do hydrophone checks? periscope depth? 20m? 30m? 50m?

hueywolf123
08-08-2006, 04:10 PM
@Issoisso,
Yep 30m, ahead slow. Don't just do one sweep, do several. Stay under and ask your hydrophone guy to conduct a normal sweep.
Patrolling on the surface is okay night, just make sure your watch officer is up there with them. Make your watch crew all PO's (the more senior, the better).
Dawn and dusk are dangerous times, look out. Get up there yourself too, use your binoculars and scan the horizon. Sometimes your watch crew won't see what you do, when you spot something, look at it through the Uzo, lock the view, all of a sudden the crew will see it. If you are near the coast, go to p depth or they will radio their mates to come after you. If it's foggy beware, this can be deadly. The De's won't be seen till they are on top of you