PDA

View Full Version : Strange P-40 quirk...

SeaFireLIV
12-29-2003, 07:43 PM
I`ve been recently flying the P40e in the offline campaign and it`s now a great flyer (and my fave US plane) but I`ve noticed something strange in its flying.
If I do certain manouevers, say like rotating the plane there will be a sudden drop in throttle power and the P40e will suddenly lurch to the right. For a moment i have absolutely no control. This also happens if I seem to do a dive with my combat flaps on, sometimes not.
It`s very strange. It feels like a stall has begun, but the plane does not drop, it just lurches in a halfish roll to the right. All control to the stick for a moment lost.
This definitely never happened in the previous versions. Is this a historical trait of the P40e, a bug, what?

p.s.(Overall, though, I have found the P40 to be a plane transformed in flying, it`s much better. No idea if historically accurate with the amount of changes in these patch versions).

`Man is an embodied paradox, a bundle of contradictions.` Lacon.

SeaFireLIV
12-29-2003, 07:43 PM
I`ve been recently flying the P40e in the offline campaign and it`s now a great flyer (and my fave US plane) but I`ve noticed something strange in its flying.
If I do certain manouevers, say like rotating the plane there will be a sudden drop in throttle power and the P40e will suddenly lurch to the right. For a moment i have absolutely no control. This also happens if I seem to do a dive with my combat flaps on, sometimes not.
It`s very strange. It feels like a stall has begun, but the plane does not drop, it just lurches in a halfish roll to the right. All control to the stick for a moment lost.
This definitely never happened in the previous versions. Is this a historical trait of the P40e, a bug, what?

p.s.(Overall, though, I have found the P40 to be a plane transformed in flying, it`s much better. No idea if historically accurate with the amount of changes in these patch versions).

clint-ruin
12-29-2003, 09:07 PM
Hi Seafire,

As far as I know this is one of the more noticable symptoms of a joystick being on its way out. It's possible for a bad joystick port, bad joystick port drivers, and insufficient voltage to your motherboard or soundcard to cause it as well.

Do you ever notice your controller comes up as 'not connected' in the game devices control panel and then flicks back to "OK" suddenly?

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/leninkoba.jpg

Friendly_flyer
12-29-2003, 11:47 PM
I had the same problem with the Buffalo in the 1.11 version (flying low, it cost me a few planes). I too thought it was time to change joystick, but with the new patch, the problem seem to have disappeared.

Fly friendly!

Petter Bøckman
Norway

clint-ruin
12-29-2003, 11:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Friendly_flyer:
I had the same problem with the Buffalo in the 1.11 version (flying low, it cost me a few planes). I too thought it was time to change joystick, but with the new patch, the problem seem to have disappeared.

_Fly friendly!_

_Petter Bøckman
Norway_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get it in all planes, mainly because my jobstick is old and twitchy. Lurches as if rudder/aileron has been applied, engine noise drops off, then the throttle % displays itself a split second later and everything seems back to normal.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/leninkoba.jpg

Suckerpunch11
12-30-2003, 12:48 AM
"Rotating" the plane? What do you mean? On what axis?

Lixma
12-30-2003, 01:04 AM
Sounds like a stick problem to me also.

When the first patch came out it coincided with my stick spiking and i thought it was the patch that was causing it. I had such a great time playing with my control settings.....pffft.

SeaFireLIV
12-30-2003, 04:01 AM
Wow. My joystick. For some reason I never considered that. It is old (over 2 years) and I`ve been thinking about replacing it, but never had any trouble- until now.
Thanks, guys. I`ll test it, but I have a feeling you`ve hit the nail on the head.

(Clint-Ruin, thanx for your advice. Not checked the devices control panel, but will give these things a look.)

[This message was edited by SeaFireLIV on Tue December 30 2003 at 03:13 AM.]

LeadSpitter_
12-30-2003, 04:50 AM
all the rudders have to be centered manually too

for instance if your stick is perfectly aligned the russian planes will fly perfectly level and rudder perfectly centered "with my stick anyways" x45 no twist rudder. Ruskies will be aligned to fly perfectly straight while the b239 p40 p39 109 190 need thier rudders adjusted to the left, to be centered

whats odd is if the rudders are alligned perfectly on the german and us aircraft you need to adjust aliron trim as well to fly perfectly level and some of planes have no alieron trim. Oleg simulating engine torque while the 109s p51 have to have rudder adjusted in flight the russian engine torque is only on the ground in takeoff

in this game even if the rudder is the slightest ammount uncentered you wont reach the planes max speed

In a roll "rotating the plane i think you mean" the rudders will sway automatically in a roll even with pedals not being touched.

So it can be your stick or the way the game has offcentered alignment between individual planes. The groundcrews also maintained controllsurfaces before flight so i dont get why 109s and planes with no alieron and rudder trim are off centered. But oleg fixed the i16 to fly perfectly level now instead of pulling up automatically which is noticably an improvement but he hasnt fixed any other control surface alignments

http://www.geocities.com/leadspittersig/LSIG.txt
VIEW MY PAINTSCHEMES HERE (http://www.il2skins.com/?planeidfilter=all&planefamilyfilter=all&screenshotfilter=allskins&countryidfilter=all&authoridfilter=%3ALeadspitter%3A&historicalidfilter=all&Submit=+++Apply+filters++&action=list&ts=1072257400)