PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate campaign are you in?

Brutal67
01-08-2005, 01:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brutal67:
I have an idea that I thought I would pass around with the community and see what you all think of this. I hear many of the complaints about the dynamic campaign and the lack of depth to it sometimes. I have sometimes felt that same thing but so far I have not been spending my time voicing my dissatisfaction about it on the forums but instead building missions in the FMB and playing them online with friends.

Now this has been a lot fun but I have been thinking about taking this to a new level. I am a fan of role-playing games as well as flight simulators. What about combining the two of these into this simulation. I would create missions and live players will make up the pilot rosters.

We would need two rosters of players willing to participate one for Axis of course and the other Allies. Now here is where the tricky part comes in. We have to have a commander for each side as well as a second in command. The commander will be in charge of his squadron picking targets, pilots based on a rotation, assigning flights, and the resources at his disposal. The commander will be in charge of placing units such as AAA, planes (which airfield they are at), and stationary aircraft (planes with no pilots available). It would be kind on the same as a greater green type of mission except that it will all be linked and the results of one mission will affect the future.

All flights will be required to be recorded by all players involved so if there are any conflicts that arise we will have the tracks to keep up with what has happened. Don€t fear that if you were shot down that you out of it for good instead you will be put on a replacement roster and you will fly again. The bad part your record goes back to zero. You have just become someone else after all your other pilot has died. If captured you are out and become a replacement just as if you had been shot down.

No AI pilots will be involved with this. The missions will be flown the same time each week so the time schedule will not be juggled around. After the mission has been flown it will be judged and changes to the rosters will be made. This will be emailed to the commanders and they will have a certain amount of time to get their orders for the next week to me (so I have time to build the next weeks mission). I along with a few others will come up with the rules, distribute them to all people involved then adjust or make changes based on comments.

I will referee the first campaign to get this started from there we will look into doing it on some type of a rotation (after all I would like to fly as well). If you have any interest in something of this nature I would like to hear from you. Post and let me know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brutal67
01-08-2005, 01:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brutal67:
I have an idea that I thought I would pass around with the community and see what you all think of this. I hear many of the complaints about the dynamic campaign and the lack of depth to it sometimes. I have sometimes felt that same thing but so far I have not been spending my time voicing my dissatisfaction about it on the forums but instead building missions in the FMB and playing them online with friends.

Now this has been a lot fun but I have been thinking about taking this to a new level. I am a fan of role-playing games as well as flight simulators. What about combining the two of these into this simulation. I would create missions and live players will make up the pilot rosters.

We would need two rosters of players willing to participate one for Axis of course and the other Allies. Now here is where the tricky part comes in. We have to have a commander for each side as well as a second in command. The commander will be in charge of his squadron picking targets, pilots based on a rotation, assigning flights, and the resources at his disposal. The commander will be in charge of placing units such as AAA, planes (which airfield they are at), and stationary aircraft (planes with no pilots available). It would be kind on the same as a greater green type of mission except that it will all be linked and the results of one mission will affect the future.

All flights will be required to be recorded by all players involved so if there are any conflicts that arise we will have the tracks to keep up with what has happened. Don€t fear that if you were shot down that you out of it for good instead you will be put on a replacement roster and you will fly again. The bad part your record goes back to zero. You have just become someone else after all your other pilot has died. If captured you are out and become a replacement just as if you had been shot down.

No AI pilots will be involved with this. The missions will be flown the same time each week so the time schedule will not be juggled around. After the mission has been flown it will be judged and changes to the rosters will be made. This will be emailed to the commanders and they will have a certain amount of time to get their orders for the next week to me (so I have time to build the next weeks mission). I along with a few others will come up with the rules, distribute them to all people involved then adjust or make changes based on comments.

I will referee the first campaign to get this started from there we will look into doing it on some type of a rotation (after all I would like to fly as well). If you have any interest in something of this nature I would like to hear from you. Post and let me know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Atomic_Marten
01-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Well, I think that's not bad idea. On the contrary.

But unfortunately, I can see that the 'Online campaign' (the one that is already in game for multiplayer) ain't used much. At least I get that impression. Nowadays everyone likes only DM servers, and few of them COOPs.

My opinion is that Online campaign is by far the best possible way of playing this game. The only thing that I actually can't agree you on is AI and (re)spawning. I think that if AI a/c's are lacking in missions, than some of immersion would be lost.. also for 100% immersion, immortal warriors option must be off; but still with AI missing and respawning that would be also great idea.

FlakMagnent
01-08-2005, 05:57 PM
I dont have a fast connection to the net but if there are more willing to try it, Ill give it a try. It sounds like fun to me.

Latico
01-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Are you prepared for the immense amount of planning and preparations involved in this admiral venture?

I don't mean to discourage you from trying this, just pointing out a reality that sometimes gets over looked when an idea is first concieved.

It wasn't too long ago that someone attempted to do something of this nature in Janes Fighters Anthology. The guy had everything worked out and Im sure that he put allot of time and effort into it. But, after about 2 or 3 missions into the campaign, interest seemed to fizzle and it died a rather unglorious death. Not much reward for the planners efforts.

Maybe it will be different in this community.

Good Luck http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Smidlee
01-08-2005, 10:35 PM
the problem I see with this would be the same as trying to get a good game of Heart of Iron (WW2 strategy game)together. It's very tough keeping players for any length of time. I don't know how many time I've started a game of HOI but only finished one or two of them and never with the same players as we started out with. Trying to continue a game or campaign with the same players on a later date would be very hard.

HotelBushranger
01-09-2005, 02:06 AM
Hey, whats that immortal warrior option?

Apart from that, this sounds like a good idea. Good luck boys http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Cheers,
HBR

Fliegeroffizier
01-09-2005, 09:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smidlee:
the problem I see with this would be the same as trying to get a good game of Heart of Iron (WW2 strategy game)together. It's very tough keeping players for any length of time. I don't know how many time I've started a game of HOI but only finished one or two of them and never with the same players as we started out with. Trying to continue a game or campaign with the same players on a later date would be very hard. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is this "Heart-of-Iron" thing?? Where/how does one play it?