PDA

View Full Version : german carriers?

fordfan25
12-18-2004, 01:06 PM
I was just playing a qmb,I was in my hellcat and was in the process of fraging a fw190.I started thinking that why didnt the germans build carriers. at least in ww2. thay obviosly saw the value in air power thay obviosly had the means to build large ships. bismark ,sharnhost "i know those are not spelled right lol" so why no carriers? did thay just relise that thay could not keep up with the brits or amaricans in navel air power?

ElAurens
12-18-2004, 01:11 PM
A german carrier, the Graf Zepplin, was being built. But it was a very poor design, and the BF 109T fighters for it would not have fared well in naval use. A real Blue Water Navy was a concept lost on the German command structure.

darkhorizon11
12-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Also the Germans fought the war 99% in Europe. Although, there was plenty of open water the German Navy focused its efforts close to the larger land masses, the only exception being the U-Boat fleet which in many cases visited NYC and Boston. To win the war the Europe the largest body of water they ever really had to cross was the Mediterrean which most German aircraft could cross on their own anyway. Therefore very little effort was put into the development of a carrier fleet. The GZ was poorly built and was intended to carry outdated at aircraft. It would probably have been meat and potatos for the British fleet if it did enter service in 1944.

Mashie_Nibblick
12-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Here ya go:

http://www.german-navy.de/smb/scalemodels/ships/grafzeppelin/history.html

http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/baugher_other/grzepp.html

Air_Hog
12-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Actually I built a 3D version to get into this sim. I sent it to a guy named Fennic. He didn't like it the way it was and suggested some changes. Well I was ready to correct the ship (it's huge, alot of polygons) but Gibbage said 1C/Maddox policy will accept only things made with 3D Studio Max. I made it with a different program but convertable to 3D Studio Max.

Say any of you rich $$$ sim pilots want to send me a copy of 3D Studio Max for a Christmas present?

A.H.

Fliger747
12-19-2004, 02:33 AM
Thanks for your efforts! This is an example of the things that third parties ARE capable of and should be encouraged.

CFS2&3 were not great games as released, but individuals have done some very good things with them.

Graff Zepplin didn't really have the Naval 'Critical' mass to go with her, but it would have made for some interesting 'what if scenarios' had England fallen.

t0n.
12-19-2004, 05:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Graff Zepplin didn't really have the Naval 'Critical' mass to go with her, but it would have made for some interesting 'what if scenarios' had England fallen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would trade all the useless Luft46 jet nonsense that came with AEP for the Graf Zepellin and 109's at sea. What fun those would be now that we've got Pacific kinda modelled!

Thanks for trying there Air_Hog http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif