PDA

View Full Version : Silent hunter commanders days spent in base.

Dominicrigg
10-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Ok now im a bit confused as to this bit of silent hunter commander and the help file doesnt actually tell you what the options do.

Though most are self explanatory some are not.

I want the time in base to be the same as the original game, as this was realistic. However i dont know which option to tick to get this.

Should i click "Randomise number of days spent in base" or leave this unclicked. I think the original setting was not random but relied on damage you had sustained and upgrades you made.

I ask because i have just finished a patrol with a completely undamaged uboat and spent one month in port http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif with this option ticked. It doesnt seem quite right.

So basically if i want the game to be normal for time in base do i tick the random section, or leave it unticked (can it play with none ticked?)

Meh instructions of some type would be nice when all that effort has been put in.

Thanks, for now i will stick with the month in port but it would be cool to know if im using the right option or not for my next patrol!

Dominicrigg
10-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Ok now im a bit confused as to this bit of silent hunter commander and the help file doesnt actually tell you what the options do.

Though most are self explanatory some are not.

I want the time in base to be the same as the original game, as this was realistic. However i dont know which option to tick to get this.

Should i click "Randomise number of days spent in base" or leave this unclicked. I think the original setting was not random but relied on damage you had sustained and upgrades you made.

I ask because i have just finished a patrol with a completely undamaged uboat and spent one month in port http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif with this option ticked. It doesnt seem quite right.

So basically if i want the game to be normal for time in base do i tick the random section, or leave it unticked (can it play with none ticked?)

Meh instructions of some type would be nice when all that effort has been put in.

Thanks, for now i will stick with the month in port but it would be cool to know if im using the right option or not for my next patrol!

Kaleun1961
10-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Leave it unselected.

Dominicrigg
10-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Cool thanks. Will do.

Pr0metheus 1962
10-26-2005, 03:58 AM
Standard SH3 is 28 days. RUb is 31. If you select random days you will still get delays due to damage. It's just that the random feature uses a 'days in port' range based on a survey of actual historical days in port. The range changes each year, reflecting the amount of time boats spent in port after each patrol during that year. In 1939 the range is from 5 to 30 days, and by 1945 the range is from 30 to 65 days.

Dominicrigg
10-26-2005, 07:12 AM
Ahh cool, thanks. I thought they spent less time in port later though, as they were trying to turn around the boats faster and in many cases didnt give the crew weeks leave like they had been having early on. Also repairs were done more speedily (or not at all) later on. I will try out the random thing though that actually sounds more realistic as you say.

Pr0metheus 1962
10-26-2005, 07:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
Ahh cool, thanks. I thought they spent less time in port later though, as they were trying to turn around the boats faster and in many cases didnt give the crew weeks leave like they had been having early on... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had heard that too. But when I took the sample of 100 repair/rest periods the ones in 1944-45 were longer than in earlier years.

Dominicrigg
10-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Sounds right. I think what happened was where the boat was still servicable it was sent out with little time in port, so in these cases undamaged port time would drop.

But where the boat was damaged beyond use they would take a lot longer to repair as the parts diminished and boats were saboutaged by French.

It would take a complicated repair model to simulate this though, the best way would be to probably set time yourself using that feature depending on what damage the boat has taken, setting it to a long while if its hard to come by parts (engines, scopes) and low time if the boat is ready to go back out.

It would have been so cool if they had simulated you having to go back out with still damaged boats as many had to in those days, but i suppose there are other more important things they didnt get finished in the game which took their time up.