PDA

View Full Version : The patch is great.

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Thanks to all those who put in the hours. It looks aa though what changes there are are in the direction of historical accuracy. They cut things in all the right places. I always wondered how the 190A4 and A5 could have been so feared if it flew like it did until now. It should at least have had the speed and handling of some of the 109s.

I like how the engine torque affects low speed handling more. Seems right. My old buddy Pete that flew spits and p51s in the war told me over and over about how easy on the throttle one had to be at takeoff and low speeds in these planes or the engine would roll the plane right over.

The dust on takoff is neat. Maybe when it is on pavement it will be cut down in the future.

I read Johnson's book about him flying p47s over there in wwII, and saw the picture of his plane where a 20mm shell from a fw went through it. He was lucky. I have hit a lot of p47s and p40s with the 2omm cannon on my f4 and I have yet to put a hole like that in one of them. It has got to be tough to model the effect of different rounds so many years after they have seen action, but maybe from pictures we could guage their effectiveness and have them do the same in FB. I don't know jack $hit about programming of any kind. So these are the views of a layman.

I have gotten used to every patch since IL2 came out. It took a while on the last one for il2 and the original version of FB. I did my share of whining about the hurricane and the gunners in the il2. After too long I just learned not to dogfight with hurris and to stay away from il2 gunners. Maybe this patch is good enough that there won't be a "ringer" that everyone will jump into and wear out till the next patch. That would be cool. But if there is, this time around I promise to just stay away from the planes I can't deal with and keep my trap shut. Okay Aviar?

Thanks again for creating this flight sim during my lifetime.

Jumoschwanz

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Thanks to all those who put in the hours. It looks aa though what changes there are are in the direction of historical accuracy. They cut things in all the right places. I always wondered how the 190A4 and A5 could have been so feared if it flew like it did until now. It should at least have had the speed and handling of some of the 109s.

I like how the engine torque affects low speed handling more. Seems right. My old buddy Pete that flew spits and p51s in the war told me over and over about how easy on the throttle one had to be at takeoff and low speeds in these planes or the engine would roll the plane right over.

The dust on takoff is neat. Maybe when it is on pavement it will be cut down in the future.

I read Johnson's book about him flying p47s over there in wwII, and saw the picture of his plane where a 20mm shell from a fw went through it. He was lucky. I have hit a lot of p47s and p40s with the 2omm cannon on my f4 and I have yet to put a hole like that in one of them. It has got to be tough to model the effect of different rounds so many years after they have seen action, but maybe from pictures we could guage their effectiveness and have them do the same in FB. I don't know jack $hit about programming of any kind. So these are the views of a layman.

I have gotten used to every patch since IL2 came out. It took a while on the last one for il2 and the original version of FB. I did my share of whining about the hurricane and the gunners in the il2. After too long I just learned not to dogfight with hurris and to stay away from il2 gunners. Maybe this patch is good enough that there won't be a "ringer" that everyone will jump into and wear out till the next patch. That would be cool. But if there is, this time around I promise to just stay away from the planes I can't deal with and keep my trap shut. Okay Aviar?

Thanks again for creating this flight sim during my lifetime.

Jumoschwanz