PDA

View Full Version : Help withDFing plz

mcpolle1
06-17-2005, 09:44 AM
~S~
Hi guys,

Am still new to all this and started up in an A6M2 early 1940 Zero, up against an average Corsair pilot, Finally got in behind him, but could not catch up to him, he was turning all the time, tried turning inside him, but always lost him.

Any good ideas to getting this DFing to work.

Thx

Polle

JG77_Rev
06-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Set the pilot up to be a rookie, and practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice....!!! Once you get to the point where you're taking him down regularly, kick him up to average and start over!

ytareh
06-17-2005, 11:15 AM
An altogether more suitable opponent(historically and ability wise) might be a Wildcat or even a Buffalo(although they can be nimble enough).Corsair is gonna massacre an early Zero.Also anything other than rookie enemy is a bit much to ask for a beginner to fight against.In fact in my limited experience I reckon that Average/Veteran/Ace difference is less obvious than Rookie vs the rest.Just my 2c.

Airmail109
06-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Ive just learn that you need to incorperate strategy into DFing, ive always held the view for years that you dont think about strategy in a dogfight like many others. My view has been changed by a few people. If you have broadband fly online some time with me and my mates well teach you the basics through to the advanced stratergies!

GazeH0und
06-17-2005, 05:36 PM
In that situation I would try a low yoyo. lead pursuit (ie fly to where the bandit is flying TO, as you were doing I think, by turning inside him) and drop your nose to gain a speed boost, recovering the altitude then, and hopefully popping back up closer in. But im not used to Pf so..maybe not, but its a pretty well known technique to reel in bandits who have a speed advandage.

mcpolle1
06-18-2005, 03:57 AM
~S~

Thx guys, will do that.

Aimail, where do you guys fly and when, I am in Europe so it would depend on when and where, but sounds great

Thx again

Polle

SeaFireLIV
06-18-2005, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
Ive just learn that you need to incorperate strategy into DFing, ive always held the view for years that you dont think about strategy in a dogfight like many others. My view has been changed by a few people.

I think this is how many new people start. In fact there`s way more strategy in battle and it`s the ones who disregard this (the instant fight/solo fighters/ can`t be bothered to use a wingie) who end up eating dirt all the time.

When I was online, sometimes I and a good wingman I knew would go on a dogfight server and come across everyone just fighting for themselves. Sometimes it would be just 2 or 3 of us against 6 or 7 of them. Yet we creamed them. Why? Cos they`d come at us alone, refusing to back eachother up and were shot down piecemeal, one by one.

Then of course the whines would begin. Some began to realise that tactics and using a wingie were greater than just charging at everything. Those interested we could help and even recruit. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Having our quick practise of the day we`d return to a proper server where the enmy used tactics.

mcpolle1
06-18-2005, 05:35 AM
See now there is something that I have never really understood, the use of a Wingman, how exactly do you use a wingman, as I have understood it that stay as said on your wing, but how does this help if you are engaged with multiple bogies???

If someone gets in behind, should he stay attached to your wing, or break off and engage said bogey???

Polle

mcpolle1
06-18-2005, 06:52 AM
Hi guys,
well have put the AI on Rookie and put two Wildcats in there, took out the first one, quite easily actually, did not think that I hit him that much, but there you go.

Problem was after that was finding the other blighter, was looking for him for ages, and when I finally found him every time I turned he was gone.

Any good ideas on situational awareness, or does it just come with time??
Thx

polle

dieg777
06-18-2005, 07:01 AM
if you are up for a bit of reading then check out this site - http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Tailspin/index.htm

check out the air to air section- anything by andy bush at simhq is worth reading and also http://www.vulch.clara.co.uk/manual.html
should get you started. If you prefer books then robert shaws figher combat is recommended -review here
http://www.airwarfare.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=26&sid...2e5e4af270c4c934b2a1 (http://www.airwarfare.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=26&sid=b2af89bb348a2e5e4af270c4c934b2a1)

good luck

SeaFireLIV
06-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by mcpolle1:
See now there is something that I have never really understood, the use of a Wingman, how exactly do you use a wingman, as I have understood it that stay as said on your wing, but how does this help if you are engaged with multiple bogies???

If someone gets in behind, should he stay attached to your wing, or break off and engage said bogey???

Polle

Ok. Basic instructions (this is regarding online flying, actually this can work offline with AI, but not so well, there isn`t enough comms really).

1. OK the Wingman stays with the leader, watching him and around him (rear also).

2. The leader picks a target and goes for it, wingman following.

3. As long as leader and wingman are not under threat, the wingman stays with leader until leader kills bogey. No running off because you`re bored. You STAY with your leader until he says you can go. This is the true test of a wingman - Can you bear not getting a kill for a while to protect your fellow pilot?

4. If leader is attacked. Wingman will warn leader, while simultaneously moving into to attack. Now...

a, If enemy is too close and about to fire, Wingman will call,"BREAK!" The Leader should immediately break while the wingman engages.

b, If the bogey is not quite close enough yet, the Wingman can allow the Leader to `bait` the bogey until the wingman gets close enough to kill. Which often happens since the solo inexperienced bogey becomes `fixated`. Solo attackers will almost never survive attacking 2 fighters working together unless he is extremely skilled and has a very good aircraft.

5. If the leader AND wingman are attacked. The wingman would call a warning to the leader and the Leader (while breaking) will watch and also call a warning to the wingman. This is not as hard as it sounds when practised.

Now the wingman chases the Leader`s bogey, the Leader goes for Wingman`s bogey. Often the wingman and leader can keep away even experinced bogies as long as they both back eachother continuously like this.

This is very basic instructions and it becomes far more advanced, but this is the beginning of TEAMWORK. Personally I enjoy being the Wingman, I`ll often go through entire missions killing nothing, but happy because I saved my lead`s life.

mcpolle1
06-18-2005, 07:21 AM
Thx guys, Dieg they are some really cool links,
and Seafire thx for the heads up on what's it all about.

polle