PDA

View Full Version : Quickie: Why only 3 maps in QMB?

ladlon
02-18-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm an offline player, and like using the QMB, yet I'm surprised I can only use 3 maps from the impressive list that PF comes with. Is there no way around that?

Mongoose117A
02-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Ladlon, do yourself a favor and go to uberdemon.com. You'll never go back to the qmb again. Trust me, you'll love this program. it's a (mostly) full capability truely fast mission maker.

Tim

ladlon
02-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey, that looks great! I totally want the randomness that it seems to offer (from what I briefly read in the intro).

Question to you is: Does it work on the standalone PF, or only on the merged PF/FB thing?

slo_one23
02-18-2006, 06:24 PM
ye i only have pf will it work and well whats it do? is it free also?

ladlon
02-18-2006, 06:39 PM
I just finished reading a post asking if it would work with the standalone version of PF... Yes, it will... technically. It was intended, according to the creator, to be used with the merged version, and as such it uses/displays the planes from FB and AEP as well as PF. However, if the user simply selects only planes which they know are in PF, there aparently is no problem. The creator of the program also states that you can create some sort of rule set which would help the situation.

So, short answer (according to that post) is yes.

I'm sold. I'll be downloading it. Thanks again, Tim!

ladlon
02-18-2006, 06:40 PM
Oh, and ya, it looks like it's free.

hamselv2
02-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Lowengrin's DCG (freeware) is worth a try too:

http://www.lowengrin.com/content.php?article.12

Akronnick
02-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Totally free.

Tully__
02-18-2006, 11:57 PM
As for why only 3 maps in QMB... for each QMB option combination there has to be a mission template. Limited time on the development team and the inclusion of the Full Mission Builder for those who want more variety and control means that only a few basic maps and mission type combinations are made for QMB. Otherwise would take the dev team away from other projects for too many hours.

major_setback
02-19-2006, 02:04 AM
Be careful using the Uberdemon mission buider. I used the latest version recently and noticed it took ages to load, when it started I cycled through all the aircraft in the mission using outside view (F2, Shift F2 and ctrl F2) and noticed it had 'cloned' all the flights several times over. The cloning feature allows you to fill the skies with aircraft, but make sure it's off (or linited) if you want a good frame-rate. I ended up with hundreds of aircraft in the sky, and a very stuttery quick mission.

This isn't a criticism of the UQMG, it is a very powerful tool. Just be aware of the cloning feature.

ladlon
02-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi, Tully... That makes sense, and is understandable. But it is a shame, though... as I'm an offline player, and (to get variety) I use the QMB almost exclusively.

But, I'm just starting to dive into the campains, as I understand things a bit better (and they will certainly give me the random variety I'm looking for).

As for mission generators, Lowengrin's one SEEMS a bit friendlier (less requirements/disclaimers) compared to Uberdemon... though that may be a false first impression. I'll probably try them both anyway.

CRSutton
02-20-2006, 02:24 PM
I loaded Uberdemon's up about four months ago. There is a little learning curb but it opens up a whole new world for off line play.

Mongoose117A
02-20-2006, 02:36 PM
First thing to remember with the UQMG is to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! I've been using it almost since the beginning, and have learned it the easy way; with small changes as the version developed. To a new user, it's a bit overwhelming. I'm also a strictly offline player (even with broadband, because I always seem to get a reboot to desktop after a min. or so online), and the UQMG is a lifesaver. Uberdemon's got a good tutorial on his site. Check it out, and experiment with different settings. It's not like you have anything to lose; you simply make a new one if the first one doesn't work out right, or open it with the FMB and tweak it to your preference.

All hail the Uberdemon! Yay!

Tim