PDA

View Full Version : help me fly the big blue barn

zoinks_
04-02-2006, 02:55 AM
i fly the f6f like its loaded with livestock. any zeke in the area i stall and plow the fields. i can take off and land at the hoedown with no problems, but combat feels like i ate too much biscuits and gravy. thinkin' about parkin' it in the back 40 and partin' it out for a still.

can anyone fly this crate or do i need some more practice and cut back on the drinkin'?

lowfighter
04-02-2006, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by zoinks_:

can anyone fly this crate or do i need some more practice and cut back on the drinkin'?

On the contrary, drink more, I noticed that when I'm very dizzy I greatly confuse the enemy by my superhuman flying... Haven't flown this AC lately, you're talking about you versus human or versus AI?

stansdds
04-02-2006, 05:27 AM
The F6F, like the F4U, is not a good turn fighter, so don't get into turning battles. These aircraft work best if you retain as much energy and speed as possible, so make diving attacks, regain altitude and dive again. Squadron tactics work best and this can be a bit of a problem with AI wingmen.

VW-IceFire
04-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by zoinks_:
i fly the f6f like its loaded with livestock. any zeke in the area i stall and plow the fields. i can take off and land at the hoedown with no problems, but combat feels like i ate too much biscuits and gravy. thinkin' about parkin' it in the back 40 and partin' it out for a still.

Practice....

Depends alot on what your opponents are. I learned alot when I put together an online map centered around the Tirpitz raids and then ended up flying a 109G-6 Late against Hellcats. I figured I'd just outturn the Hellcat pilots and nail them...but the Hellcat turns better than the 109G-6 Late and pretty much can run them down over a short distance.

The Hellcat is not fast but its faster than the Zero, it climbs slightly better than the Zero, and its a heck of alot tougher. You need to have a steady hand on the controls and use the classic boom and zoom manuever to take on the Zeros. You CAN get into a short turn fight with them but not for more than a 90 degree rotation. Anything more and they will get on your tail and roast you. Always be attacking or diving for safety. Don't stick around and you'll be fine.

These are the typical Hellcat tactics. If you employ them and use good and effective control then you will have no problem.

zoinks_
04-02-2006, 08:46 AM
i give up on ai. online. i do understand the tactics that should be used but i have a hard time doing it...especially when i spawn alone which is most of the time.

i'll try more practice then out to the back 40.

thanks for the responses. i have a hard time controlling this thing.

AFJ_Locust
04-02-2006, 05:17 PM
zoinks, Take off fly away from enemy climb at least 15000 ft, turn on supercharger 2 at 5000ft, turn on supercharger3 at 17000ft. I fly them at 20,000ft and higher, Never fly low, never turn fight with anything Japanese, alwayes Boom & Zoom, That is if you want to live, Kill the enemy & land at the carrier.

If you find a Jap at 20,000 feet, Use High speed dives to force them into compression then use your high speed turning ability to force them to overshoot you, then shoot them fast & Run again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ZeroMaster1941
04-02-2006, 07:26 PM
when fighting zero masters like ourselves you dont have a chance against us, our pilots are brave, and skilled, each one carries the will of our emperador in each battle, we are battle seasoned, and the allies are not a match, when you take off you shuld be aware that when you met the first japanese warrior, it will be your last moments, your only hope is to run hide and dive away, but when we spot you none of this will make a diference and your moment of death is inevitable!

zoinks_
04-02-2006, 11:43 PM
security breach! help! headquarters, mods, somebody! we can't have our boys subjected to this imperialistic propaganda. yes, we have been pushed thru training a little quicker than we would like, but the necessity to defend our peaceful nation after a ruthless sneak attack takes sacrafices. no, we will not succumb to your tyranny. things may be bad for us now, but you will soon learn our persistence. you have sorely misjudged us to be lazy and selfish, yes. just like you have misjudged the ability of our aircraft. we will not rest until we have a 12:1 kill ratio i promise you that.

that was fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

forgot about the supercharger thing. actually, after re-reading this thread a few times i realize serveral errors...tactics, prop pitch, mixture, etc. many thanks to vets like these for providing a refresher course that can only unite and strengthen our nation.

lowfighter
04-03-2006, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by AFJ_Locust:

If you find a Jap at 20,000 feet, Use High speed dives to force them into compression then use your high speed turning ability to force them to overshoot you, then shoot them fast & Run again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yes, this is a good trick. Perhaps the only place where the cat really beats the zero.

snapshots if possible can greatly help because the zero flight performance degrades quite a lot just with a few bullets (at least it was so in previous patches)

ElAurens
04-03-2006, 05:36 AM
Please continue to turn low and slow with me,

Thank you.

Banzai.

KG51-Edelweis
04-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Yeah slow and low turning F6F make great Swiss cheese! Love it!!!
Better get used to eating rice! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

http://sil40.hp.infoseek.co.jp/img005.gif

Unknown_Target
04-03-2006, 08:28 PM
I actually fly the Hellcat almost exclusively online, and do quite well in it - my tips:

1) Get a buddy. The Hellcat is unbeatable in pairs, me and this other guy were in a game and decided to start flying on each other's wing, and we would literally take off and fly for twenty minutes shooting down enemy aircraft before we got taken down. Use team tactics, where one aircraft will lead another one on, or diving on one aircraft while the other covers your six, etc.

2) Boom and zoom baby. It's been said before, but it's important. First instinct of almost any zero pilot is to turn away from an enemy. With a buddy, get up to about 2000-3000 m, turn on supercharger 2 at 2100, charger 3 at 3000, and just drop down on a zero. He will break off, and you can follow him for a few seconds in a hard turn, then break off and go back up. If you don't have a buddy, go down, hit him, then climb back up. Most online pilots go OMG OMG OMG KILL KILL KILL and I've seen zeros try and pull zoom climbs to get me - just wait until they slow down, turn around and hit them.

3) Do NOT get anyone on your tail. The Hellcat isnt much faster than the zero in the short run, so you can't do a Corsair move and just firewall away from the guy when you're only a few hundred feet from him - if he's behind you and within a kilometer and closing, you need to pull some evasives or get someone to help you. Do NOT turn with a zeke or you are DEAD.

4) Be as gentle as a newborne baby. The Hellcat is a forgiving bird, especially in the stall, but don't ham handle her - line up the crosshairs slowly and give a good sustained burst for about a second to get rid of the initial shake from the guns. If it helps, I aim just below the center line of the crosshair, and my convergence is 200 m.

That's everything I can think of now, and I must be off. Hope it helped http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif