PDA

View Full Version : My DeviceLink Project

BM357_Hawki
12-21-2004, 08:47 AM
This is how my project is going to be built.

1)First rob a bank no just kidding just add a second mortgage to my house. LOL! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

For the gauges look at the Simkits web site.
If you put the gauges together yourself it would cost you about $40.00 smacks a gauge times, say 10 gauges max for a single engine fighter.

Add their computer interface which is needed another $300.00

Wood and hardare to build a panel to hold the gauges ~ $30.00

And finally you would need to purchase my shareware il2simkit link program to send the il2 info to the gauges using a program written with their SDK or just program it yourself in VB C whatever. $50.00

So now you are looking at about lets s say an even $800.00, including the cost of taking your significant other out for dinner to explain this purchase.

2) Now to add all the switch and lights to your cockpit to display gear flap positions, bomb release handles etc at ~ lets say 25 toggle switches at $ 4.00 , say 10 lights leds whatever at .50 cents each and wiring etc lets say a total of $125.00

But you now need my second controller board and software that allows the switches and lights to send their info to the computer via a serial comm port. Another $150.00 for the interface and hardware controller.

This adds up to say $300.00 (add another dinner)

3)Hardware for cockpit lets say a used bucket seat from a van, $100.00, wood 4'x8's 2x4 etc $75.00, metal channels formers, plexiglass , rudder peddals, 5 speaker with sub, audioamp, vibration motor ( for stall effects), day a rough $500.00

There you have it $1600.00 for a low ball guesstimate. Not to mention sleepless nights, less hair and developing a friendship with Wild Turkey.

Ok here's the scoop, In order to make online flying fair I feel they have done a great job of limiting the device link interface in this regard. I think it would actually hinder the pilot if he had a real cockpit and gauges when he would be flying online in a dogfight. Looking down at the gauges then up to the screen would acually hamper my ability to track those tiny aircraft dots on the screen. With the gauges on the screen you can do both at the same time. This would also level the playing field at the same time in an online dogfight mission. For example if all the devicelink commands were available in online mode then you could program yourself an automatic map display on another computer to track your locaton even if the host turned on a real full mode match with no map icons etc..

However, if all my members of my bm357 squad had installed some devicelink programs and we were flying online dogfights together on a private server then why not have all the devicelink variables so that we can use custom cockpits?

Well here is the answer to this problem, let the host have an option in online mode to allow or disallow the use of the interface. Just let the host server turn the client interfaces on or off like we can now do with the INI file.

Now for Bob and the later incarnations of DevicLink which I hope that the team will expand upon by providing a true interface SDK (software development kit) for programmers to really make this sim cook.

My wish list is as follows.

-It would be great to have the ability to design our own objects and make them available for download just like we are able to download other skins from other players.Case in point the great train sim put out by Auran called TrainZ, not to mention the SDK's for Flight Simulator.
- A real SDK for BOB.

More to follow
Happy flying
Mike BM357 "Hawki" Levine

WWW.bm357.com (http://WWW.bm357.com)

jeroen-79
12-21-2004, 09:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BM357_Hawki:
Ok here's the scoop, In order to make online flying fair I feel they have done a great job of limiting the device link interface in this regard. I think it would actually hinder the pilot if he had a real cockpit and gauges when he would be flying online in a dogfight. Looking down at the gauges then up to the screen would acually hamper my ability to track those tiny aircraft dots on the screen. With the gauges on the screen you can do both at the same time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How is it unfair to use something that actually hinders you?
Unless you spend all your time looking straight ahead, looking at bandits will keep you from looking at the game's instruments.
With external instruments under your monitor you would only need to look down a bit instead of having to pan your view.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This would also level the playing field at the same time in an online dogfight mission. For example if all the devicelink commands were available in online mode then you could program yourself an automatic map display on another computer to track your locaton even if the host turned on a real full mode match with no map icons etc.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The same can be said of TrackIR, a HOTAS, speech recognition, a joystick, a comfortable seat or teamwork.
People will come up with technical solutions all the time to get an advantage.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Well here is the answer to this problem, let the host have an option in online mode to allow or disallow the use of the interface. Just let the host server turn the client interfaces on or off like we can now do with the INI file. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Agreed.

BaldieJr
12-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Better recheck those simkit prices. You've low-balled them to the point where the final cost may come as a shock.

If you aren't in a bug hurry, I'll have gauge plans available in a few weeks. They will be free of course, and you can build most of your guages for about the price of the simkits CCU.

Nothing against SimKits. They have to pay for thier research and development. I'm just a working schmuck with an interest in toys, so I don't expect a profit. Of course I'll ask for donations, but they will not be mandatory.

WWSensei
12-22-2004, 05:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Well here is the answer to this problem, let the host have an option in online mode to allow or disallow the use of the interface. Just let the host server turn the client interfaces on or off like we can now do with the INI file. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I am not mistaken if the server doesn't put the line in his conf.ini then devicelink is disabled. In other words the host has always had the option to turn it off...

BM357_Hawki
12-22-2004, 07:53 AM
A Quick update to my post.

If you provide the ability to have Devicelink working in Online Mode, it provides any programmer the ability to design a hud or gauges or whatever he wants to obtain an advantage over anyone else who does not run his software. It can provide him with on onscreen display so that he doesn't have to move the screen to see the speed alt gauges.It would be like flying a WWII ac with huds. I would call this an unfair advantage in my opinion.

With regards to Track Ir and other hardware that you mention, they do not provide you with addition abilities that other gamers don't have.
Sure maybe the trackir guys can pan their screen faster than you can using the hat switch, but in the end I can still pan my view around. Extra keys on a control still does not give you new control functions just replaces the keyboard switches with another form of activation which can be done with a keyboard macro anyways.

Don't get me wrong I want to have it available in online mode but make sure that there is a way to turn it on or off from the server end, just like you can disable the icons in map view etc...

With regards to the Simkit pricing the estimated cost did not include the pricing of a servo that is needed and sometimes 2 are needed per gauge. The current price listed is c29.50 or 39.51 US for a general instrument kit.So figure ~$25.00 additional per servo for a gauge US funds. You don't really need ten you could get by with less at ~$65.00 each in kit form

It will be interesting to see how you would implement the position encoding on your gauges and program the calibration of your gauges.
I look forward to your designs Baldie.Good luck with it.

Happy Flying

BaldieJr
12-22-2004, 04:13 PM
How does a HUD improve anyones killing ability? Explain this please.

WB_Outlaw
12-23-2004, 08:54 PM
Using a LCD touch screen you can build any kind of instrument panel you want (aircraft, cars, bulldozers, space shuttles, mechs, etc.). Of course, it won't have the same immersion effect. Slap a single board Linux box with an ethernet port on it and you're good to go. When I win the lottery I'll let you know how it works.

-Outlaw.

BM357_Hawki
12-24-2004, 06:03 AM
Ask the Airforce!