PDA

View Full Version : joystick problems (saitek cyborg evo)

rclarkjr
05-22-2006, 02:49 PM
I just replaced a logitech wingman extreme 3d with a saitek cyborg evo. The saitek evo works with all the other sims as well as the ch products rudder pedals,however neither will work with Il-2(Sturmovik ),or Pacific Fighters.The logitech controller and rudder pedals had been working fine with these two sim's. Anyone know what might be going on ?I have a msi k8t neo mobo,athlon 3000 64 bit processor,1024 ddr 400 memory, 80 gb western dig. hard drive with win xp. Thanks

knightflyte
05-22-2006, 03:45 PM
First things first...... You don't still have the Logitec plugged in? Or do you have an alternative gamepad attached? If you do unplug them.

Go to the contols in IL2 to reassign the buttons to your Saitek. The Saitek will probably be ID2, and the rudder peddles ID1 when you do the assignments.

mandrill7
05-22-2006, 06:11 PM
I just set up a Saitek Evo (after using a Logitech Wingman) and didn't enjoy it. First of all, my throttle didn't work until I went to the controls page in the game and down to the "Power" setting in the HOTAS section. Revved the throttle and it registered itself and worked thereafter. Kudos to the nice guy on this forum who told me about this.

Second, the Saitek stick kept crashing my computer to bluescreen! Solution: d/l-ed most current drivers. So far, seems to work.

Third, the notorious drift to the right. Seems to go away the more you play. This is in fact what is supposed to happen. I still notice some z-axis instability and drifting sometimes at low power settings in fighters. But far less than before.

Not sure if this helps your problems, but maybe letting you know what I tried to solve mine will be helpful in some way.

Good luck!

Treesqueak
05-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by rclarkjr:
I just replaced a logitech wingman extreme 3d with a saitek cyborg evo. The saitek evo works with all the other sims as well as the ch products rudder pedals,however neither will work with Il-2(Sturmovik ),or Pacific Fighters.The logitech controller and rudder pedals had been working fine with these two sim's. Anyone know what might be going on ?I have a msi k8t neo mobo,athlon 3000 64 bit processor,1024 ddr 400 memory, 80 gb western dig. hard drive with win xp. Thanks

I have the Wireless Cyborg Evo and it works fine. Have you got the latest drivers installed? I had to go ingame to set some things for everything to work, ie throttle.

Mike

rclarkjr
05-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Thnaks for the input. I tried everything in the hotas setup to get this controller to work,it is very strange,I will set up the ailerons to x-axis by moving the joystick in the appropriate direction. Did the same with elevator and rudder. I then checked the operation in the box on the first page of hardware setup and nothing works. I asked ubisoft about this and they had no answers. It is almost as if there is a conflict with a logitech driver floating around in the system, WHO KNOWS ? I just took out the saitech and using the logitech again and will probably just buy a new one, this one is getting a type of jerky hesitation in the controller,it is hard enough to keep things coordinated with everything working right,I've never flown any actual aircraft that have so much adverse yaw as some of these aircraft have( it might be my controller sensitivity ). thanks again

rclarkjr
05-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the message, this has been very frustrating, I just took this saitek out and put the old wingman extreme 3d back (it at least worked). I could not get the saitek to be reconized after setting up via the hotas,that part went smooth but when you check the controls on the first page of the hardware setup nothing worked. Thanks again

rclarkjr
05-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the reply, Yes I did disconnect and uninstall the driver for the wingman via the add/remove program. Did the hotas setup as you described and everything looked good but when checking the controls on the first page of hardware setup nothing worked. I tried this many times. I have ended up putting in my old contoller and will just buy a new logitech so I can just plug and go and not have to redo things for the 32nd time.Anyway thanks for your input.

horseback
05-22-2006, 08:55 PM
I haven't had your problem myself, but since you mentioned that you have CH Pro Pedals, and these will normally be treated by Windows as Controller 1, did it occur to you to see if moving your brake pedal axises/axes (choose one) showed up as your X-Y in the Inputs section?

It may be that even though you've assigned the joystick's X & Y to the proper locations, the Inputs don't correctly depict it. You might want to check it in one of the Single Missions to confirm that the Evo isn't working. Enable External Views, start the mission and hit F2 to look at your a/c, then move your stick around. The elevators and ailerons may still do their thing.

Of course, then you will have to sort out which axis to adjust your sensitivities to in the config file, but that's another can of worms.

cheers

horseback

knightflyte
05-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Hunter's the man. Click his signature on the bottom of any of his posts to get a good link to common control issues.

Have you tried the Saitek without peddles? Are you on a USB hub, or straight into the computer? Have you tried different USB slots? (no matter if you are inserted into a hub or pc USB slot)

Remove printer or scanners from PC.

Have you tried Saiteks programming software?
I've never had an issue with Logitec drivers with my Saitek stick. I just can't have the joystick and gamepad hardware inserted at the same time.

When you assign a button to a command in IL2 does the resultant press of the button from the Saitek register at all in the assignment box. (eg...... I'll press the trigger button for machine guns, and the blank box will usually then say button 1 ID2)

Sorry to be so basic in the above comment as you did say you went to the first page and got no response from IL2's input command box. I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page so we can eliminate potential problems.

I'm not sure if you mentioned Force Feedback, but if it is could the power line be loose to the back of your joystick?

Well I'm out of suggestions......Other than drivers (or removal of old Logitec driver) I can't figure what it could be.

I too, have never had problems with Saitek. I don't dislike Logitec, but I feel Saitek is much better, and would hate to see you scrap it for another logitec.

edit:
Horseback is right about something. CH peddles show up as ID 1 and they are what reacts to the input box in the IL2 input screen......NOT the Saitek.

AlGroover
05-23-2006, 07:16 AM
The input diagnostic box only registers controller ID1. These are your pedals presumably because they were installed first. The stick will work just fine in the game. 'IL2 Sticks' application is a must for adjusting response curves in your ID2 controller so make sure you get this.

FoolTrottel
05-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by AlGroover:
The input diagnostic box only registers controller ID1. These are your pedals presumably because they were installed first. The stick will work just fine in the game. 'IL2 Sticks' application is a must for adjusting response curves in your ID2 controller so make sure you get this.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif
(As in, that moving thingy above should be pointing at my sig, where a link to IL2-Sticks is)

rclarkjr
05-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the response, this kind of stuff drives me nuts, after taking out the saitek evo controller and putting back the logitech wingman,I now think I should have gone ahead and disconnected the ch rudder pedals when getting the saitek controller set up with sturmovik and pacific fighters. The wingman controller id's in il-2 and pf were aileron-x axis,elevator y-axis,rudder z axis (id2),brakes y axis (id2); the strange thing when the saitek was installed was that under controller setup and control check there was no yaw axis to check, just roll and pitch; still pondering trying again it's just a pain, thanks again

rclarkjr
05-23-2006, 08:37 PM
hey, thanks for the suggestions, the control ids for the logitech wingman when reinstalled were aileron x-axis, elevator y axis, rudder z axis (id 2), brakes y axis (id 2), I found something interesting in trying to get my wingman setup again, the controls were reversed in the first try and I found out that depending on which way you move the stick for the initial recognition dictates a (in the case of ailerons ) an ( x-axis )or (-x-axis),note the hyphens, I might try the saitek again with the rudder pedals disconnected first the connect them afterwards and maybe try another usb slot,this old one might have a logitech poltergeist. thanks again for your support

rclarkjr
05-23-2006, 08:47 PM
hey, thanks for that info, sounds like it may be a good idea for me to disconnect the rudder pedals before setting up saitek controller with il-2 and pf;can't wait to try the il-2 sticks,it's amazing how much adverse yaw you get in this sim , I will probably try the saitek again but I do get frustrated when things get so complicated, I am just wondering why this problem didn't occur with microsoft combat flight 2&3; well thanks again for the help

rclarkjr
05-23-2006, 08:56 PM
seems i have heard this before, thanks for the help; you would think changing a controller would be simple,i guess not always, see-ya thanks again