PDA

View Full Version : Attacked by Brits Dec 40 IN CALAIS?

stljeffbb
08-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi Everyone....

OK, this was a downer....I was coming from Lorient to patrol grid AN something or other, so I decided to travel through the Channel, especially since the ports on the French coast are now German occupied....

So, I set a course that took me right near the vcoast, hoping to avoid detection....I came upon a V&W that was about 7000m away, and I could see the lights of Calais to my right (naked eye), so I figured it wuoldn't venture too close, right?....R-ight....

it gave chase to me, and followed me INTO PORT, getting stuck on a retaining wall....WHERE ARE THE GERMAN PATROL BOATS???? I noticed Calais being empty on an earlier foray past the Channel (actually it was my re-assignment to Lorient from Wilhelmshaven)...

Even though my topside was heavily damaged, I turned around, IN PORT mind you, and sunk it where it was stuck...

This leads to my next question....has anyone ever seen surface battles between opposing forces in SH3? Is it even possible?

This patrol was a big downer for a few reasons...

1) Brits coming into Calais? They might as well invade!

2) No German patrol craft?

3) Ship getting stuck (I've seen earlier posts about this one).

HELP?!? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

PS I'm using RuB 1.43 and Patch 1.4 and some other minor mods that shouldn't affect harbor traffic.

-Jeff

JU88
08-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Ive seen surface battles in SH3 - but not in campaign mode, sadly.

Only in a single mission where I made a British task force run in to a german one, it was great fun to watch....

Im sure if you left it long enough - some badly modelled stukas or Ju88s would have turned up to try and bomb it, but would probably miss then have a mid air collision ... or have you already witnessed the wonders of planes in SH3

stljeffbb
08-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Hi JU88...nope, I haven't seen too many "air follies."

Hmm....I thought about doing what you did, make a mission where two opposing task forces collide....I wonder if it is POSSIBLE in campaign mode for it to happen, but it just doesn't....I mean, all it would really take would be to fix the port traffic in Calais, but also give Brit forces some code telling them not to get so close!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

-Jeff

stljeffbb
08-16-2005, 02:42 PM
WOW!

I checked out the editor for the first time...looks quite powerful....it looks like its possible to add practically every ship that existed!

Heck, one could perhaps add Pacific campaign stuff....this is why I hope that SH4, if it is a Japanese campaign, merely adds information to what already exists...

One, if crazy enough, could use British ships as models for the Pacific fleets of the US and Japan...not terribly realistic, but would add more variety to what is out there....

In regards to what happened to me in Calais....I can deal with poor AI (somewhat) if at least there is a defense in the port...

I'll bet that this is part of the RuB Ops Mod....Beery mentioned that it was not done yet but the framework was in place....COOL!

OK, concerning Calais, I've done just a bit of research and have found that there were German patrols near Calais during the war....I'm assuming that the Ops Mod team is working on it!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

-Jeff

dse1010
08-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Aren't there shore guns at most ports? Can they even fire, or are they decoration?

stljeffbb
08-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Hi dse1010...not too sure about those coastal bunkers...in Ops Mod, Calais does not yet have shore guns.....

I was tinkering around and fairly easily managed to make a Revenge class BB a part of the Japanese ship roster...I can even get it to appear in the museum flying a Japanese flag...wouldn't be too hard to give it missions...the Revenge class is not that unsimilar to the IJN Kongo class...interestingly, the Kongo was built by Vickers in 1912! Japan, like Italy, was a member of the allied powers in WWI.

-Jeff

dse1010
08-16-2005, 07:10 PM
I was leaving Wilhemshaven today and ran into 3 german pt boats and 2 destroyers patrolling noear the port. I wonder if the mods inadvertenly changed something, or maybe calais was over looked.

stljeffbb
08-16-2005, 09:50 PM
No, Calais is a part of the new Ops Mod, and I think the modders simply have not put in traffic yet.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Jeff

3.JG51_Molders
08-16-2005, 10:47 PM
I couldn't get Rub 1.43 to work. I installed it and my game just had a multitude of errors pop up so I just gave up on it for now.

stljeffbb
08-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi 3.JG51_Molders....sorry to hear you are having problems...I've had better luck....maybe you've got other mods that are interfering...I'd try copying your entire original SH3 folder, and try reinstalling SH3. You might need to uninstall...that's one thing I like about the Jonesoft mod enabler, you can swap mods in and out fairly easily.

-Jeff