PDA

View Full Version : 61 years ago today.......

Tooz_69GIAP
06-06-2005, 03:10 AM
.....Allied forces embarked upon the invasion of the continent.

Flakenstien
06-06-2005, 04:30 AM
SALUTE to the fallen heros!

PBNA-Boosher
06-06-2005, 05:08 AM
over 170,000 troops stormed the beaches.

There were more than 10,000 casualties

2,000 of these were on Omaha beach alone.

Salute, brave fellows!

And yet, I might also add a salute to the men defending the beach. They put up a good fight and should be commended for their work. There were many heros on both sides this day.

HotelBushranger
06-06-2005, 05:30 AM
Salute Boosher, that's a darn good point

~S~ To all the men of 6 June, 1944 on all sides

Tooz_69GIAP
06-06-2005, 08:28 AM
I wanted to write something similar, but couldn't figure out how to not make it sound cheesy, and then get my guts ripped out for praising both sides.

There certainly were many on both sides whose deeds shouldn't be forgotten.

CWH1089
06-06-2005, 08:33 AM
i think it's time for hats off and a moment of silence...

Zeus-cat
06-06-2005, 09:11 AM
June 6th, 1944 should be remembered as the largest invasion in history by free men to liberate their brothers, not to conquer them. When the war was over, the Allied armies withdrew and returned the land to the people who lived there. Truly one of the greatest moments in history.

Zeus-cat

Aero_Shodanjo
06-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Ah yes, how can I forget this date? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Although Im not an American or European, my salute for all those brave men. Their struggles and sacrifices will never be forgotten.

SeaNorris
06-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Those people shall never be forgotten, thanks to them people and everyone ivolved with the allies, we are now living in free speech (well in most places) We are sitting here, some of us moan for the patch, they did not whine for victory, they got stuck in to it and for that we are most greatful.

D-Day signalled the final quarter of the war in which Germany could no longer win, bombed by the USAAF's Mighty eighth in the day, bombed again by the RAF bomber command at night.

But lets just remember our other allie the Soviet Union, because it could have been us against them.

I, like most of us are glad that the allies won the war, we have free speech and democracy.

If Hitler ruled, he wanted to make a 'perfect' world, but that wasn't a very good 'perfect' world at all. That is because he wanted to wipe out the Jewish and as we are meant to all be equal, that is quite a scary thought.

In all the axis powers lost the war, and now we all, weather Axis Or Allied troops, come together to celebrate and long may it continute.

Thanks
seaNorris

blazer-glory
06-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Ditto to all that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

KRISTORF
06-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Salute to all those who embarked on a mission to give freedom to all in the Western World, which in turn led to freedom of the whole world, a freedom that must be preserved.

On a SLIGHTLY less important note, 40 years ago a little Kristorf appeared for the first time http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Aero_Shodanjo
06-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by KRISTORF:
On a SLIGHTLY less important note, 40 years ago a little Kristorf appeared for the first time http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

From where? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Happy anniversary m8 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Ooh, I still have 11 years to go to reach that age where life begins http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

KRISTORF
06-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Why, from his mummys tummy of course

darkhorizon11
06-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Gentlemen, the eyes of the world are upon you.

Taylortony
06-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Yes we will never forget them or the sacrifice they made, People from many a country rallied to a single cause of freedom against repression............ the world would be a different place today, we would have a single European State............

just as well they didnt do it today though, it was a bit nippy outside this morning

Capt_Pepper
06-06-2005, 01:10 PM
What does today mean to me?

Like many of us, I have traveled to several different countries across the globe and have seen many of the wonderments that exist beyond the shores of my homeland. The beaches of Normandy are one of those places.

Perhaps strange to many, no matter where I have traveled, I have always made a point of visiting cemeteries and war memorials, no matter the place. In this regard, I have found little else to be a more sobering or worthwhile experience as I have learned as much about a country, its people, and culture in this manner than by any other means. Apart from any current political circumstance, how each of them honor their deceased clearly provides an insight into their souls as a people over many centuries, and a good indication of how each of them have evolved (or not) to value the living.

For those that hold the value of life to be sacred, to stand in front of any national cemetery anywhere in the world is an overwhelming experience; acres of row upon row of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their homelands and for the values they held to be most precious. For me, I find these holy places to be wrought with the emotions of what most each one of them likely endured in some manner; pain, suffering, death and destruction all around in one form or another. While standing on the beaches of Normandy, I wonder too if I would have been able to meet their fate with the same courage and conviction as surely most of them did.

From this I feel respect and gratitude to all those who died for the beliefs they held so dear. Above all else, I am humbled by their actions and I am reminded of the debt I owe to all those who have come before me, as I am the recipient of their sacrifice. I am additionally reminded of the individual responsibility I must take to do my part towards the prevention of ill-will and wrong doing towards others, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant.

Through these experiences, as this day arrives each year, I am once again reminded of the price the world has paid for freedom where it currently flourishes. Where freedom is only a hope for so many others, I am reminded of the continued sufferings they endure. That if we all try just a little in the simplest of ways, perhaps there is a chance to prevent what doesn’t have to be the inevitable.

Chuck_Older
06-06-2005, 04:01 PM
It's sad that people had to die because a wretched man with a distinct lack of compassion for his fellow man began subjugating his neighbors

This following is just my opinion and you can make of it what you want:

While I respect the efforts the "Germans" (there weren't just Germans there, and they were still in Werhmact uniforms)made in defense of the beach, I cannot commend them on their "good work". I can respect them doing their duty as they saw it, but I will offer no praise for the killing of men sent by the free world to liberate Europe from an Opressor's choke-hold. Free men who hated being there and gave their lives. Free men that Germany, through the will of Hitler, forced to travel to that beach.

Germany is a far different place today, and the US and Germany are Allies and friends. But I will not tarnish the memory of the men who died liberating Europe by forgetting that 61 years ago, they (Germans and their allied nations' soldiers) were not the Good Guys. Whether circumstance or duty or free choice dictated their being there, there were men on the bluffs over those beaches that opposed Freedom. I respect their memory if for no other reason than to never forget the lessons that war taught, but I won't say of them "good job". I can't, it makes me sick to think of them as doing a 'good job'. They were doing Evil work whether they knew it, wanted it, considered it, or not. I beleive Germany was duped by Hitler, but I will not use that as an excuse to praise any of Germany's actions in the '30s or in WWII

I know that will offend some, and I am unapologetic. I cannot feel anything except sorrow that those German (and other nationaly's) men and boys died for defending the beach- I bear them no malice, but I cannot praise them. I cannot say "good job- you killed Brits, Canadians, and Americans on D-Day". To do so would, to me, dishonor the memory of the men who were there in the cause of Right and died. There is a difference in why they died. One for Right- the other for a cause that wasn't.

Please bear in mind that I am expressly talking about Germany in the '30s and '40s, not present day Germany or it's policies

I have remorse for the Axis lives that had to be lost. But not praise for their work.

Zeus-cat
06-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Very well said Chuck_Older, very well said. I have often thought the same thing, but I have never been able to put it into words as you have.

When I visited Normandy 5 years ago I visited the American cemetery, a British cemetery and a German cemetery in the area. The American and British cemeteries are places of respect, honor and dignity. The German cemetery is a place of respect for the men buried there, but there is no sense of praise for what they did. I recommend all people who visit Normandy to go to the German cemetery as well as the Allied ones. I just felt a total sense of futility walking among the graves of those men.

Zeus-cat

arcadeace
06-06-2005, 08:59 PM
I second that... well said Chuck. And you did it without being PC. It cannot be painted gray; distinction of right and wrong, tyranny and freedom must be made, in truth. Germany is a different country now, and a different people. I don't take any blame when previous generation whites enslaved and persecuted blacks, neither should those today who had no part in the NAZI war machine. But those who fought the machine and not those who fought with the machine should be honored for the good.