PDA

View Full Version : Aces High II

Metatron_123
12-15-2007, 04:17 PM
So what is this like? It's graphics look very similar to Il-2 somehow...

Metatron_123
12-15-2007, 04:17 PM
So what is this like? It's graphics look very similar to Il-2 somehow...

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Tried it and did not like anything about it. The graphics dont even come close to IL2's or anything else for that matter. Just my opinion, others may differ.

S!

Skycat_2
12-15-2007, 06:51 PM
I installed the free download a few years ago. I remember AH2 as feeling like a cross between CFS-2 and Screaming Demons: Fighter Squadron except with inferior AI bots. The offline single-player mode was not interesting at all.

If you're willing to spend $15 a month to play online I'm sure it can be a fun experience. I wonder if there are enough subscribers to it to be worthwhile?

Search YouTube for AH2 vids. There are tons.

Outlaw---
12-16-2007, 05:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:
I installed the free download a few years ago. I remember AH2 as feeling like a cross between CFS-2 and Screaming Demons: Fighter Squadron except with inferior AI bots. The offline single-player mode was not interesting at all.

I wonder if there are enough subscribers to it to be worthwhile?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are several hundred if not 1000+ players on the server at any one time.

AH2 is NOT intended to be played offline. Offline mode is for practice and setup ONLY. Judging the game by offline mode is like judging IL-2 by looking at the data side of the DVD.

The only thing I really don't like about AH2 is that in the general arenas all aircraft and armor are available to all 3 countries. Also, things like auto trim are allowed.

On a not so important scale, the cockpits are a bit generalized and every aircraft has all 3 axes of trim.

In some areas AH2 is superior to IL-2, most notably low speed high angle of attack. For example, I can land 3 point and nose high in a full stall. I can't do that in IL-2.

The combined arms capability in AH2 is unsurpassed. Add to that the strategic and tactical goals such as capturing towns/airfields that actually has an effect on the game and it's really unbeatable if that's what you're looking for. You can also throw in player controlled AAA, artillery, ships (including moving aircraft carriers), tanks, APCs, half-tracks, and a large number of aircraft (including four engined bombers). Don't forget the ability to fully crew up bombers and tanks. Built in voice rock solid comms with multiple channels including one for all friendlies withing a certain range (so you don't have to tune to a specific frequency) and the MP deal is sealed.

If all you're looking for is better graphics, more accurate systems modeling, and detailed cockpits, then IL-2 beats it.

The damage modeling is far superior to IL-2s with engine gauges reflecting damage and many more systems being modeled.

--Outlaw.

Jaws2002
12-16-2007, 07:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Outlaw---:

The damage modeling is far superior to IL-2s with engine gauges reflecting damage and many more systems being modeled.

--Outlaw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I Can't agree with that. When was the last time you blew an engine in AH?
I sure wasn't able to kill one in three years of playing it. Actually the damage model is much more simple in AH. Everything is failsafe. You can't overrev it, you can't overheat it.
(If running too long on wep and full power the game will automatically turn the wep off and keep going. Engines without wep run for ever on full power. That's why you can't catch heavy bombers at high altitude. The all day full speed heavy bombers is one of the most ridiculous things of the game.
There's no penalty for bad flying or mishandling the engine. There's automatic constant trim in all main arenas. You don't even have to take off the plane. You select the plane, select the weapons, choose the direction, hit full power and let it take off and climb by itself while you go do your laundry. When you come back you are 20000ft and can go kill some bad guys. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

The game is just too arcadish. many planes in WW2 were hard to fly, some were complicated, some were temperamental, some pulled hard to right other to left. Some needed a lot of trimming to make them fly good.
All this is almost nonexistent in AH. that's what keeps me away from it. There's no penality for bad flying and no reward for good flying.

I loved the gameplay ,missions and the general massive multiplayer part of it.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif
But the 1990 look and arcadish FM's keeps me away from it.

mortoma
12-16-2007, 08:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Outlaw---:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:

I wonder if there are enough subscribers to it to be worthwhile?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are several hundred if not 1000+ players on the server at any one time.

AH2 is NOT intended to be played offline. Offline mode is for practice and setup ONLY. Judging the game by offline mode is like judging IL-2 by looking at the data side of the DVD.

The only thing I really don't like about AH2 is that in the general arenas all aircraft and armor are available to all 3 countries. Also, things like auto trim are allowed.

On a not so important scale, the cockpits are a bit generalized and every aircraft has all 3 axes of trim.

In some areas AH2 is superior to IL-2, most notably low speed high angle of attack. For example, I can land 3 point and nose high in a full stall. I can't do that in IL-2.

The combined arms capability in AH2 is unsurpassed. Add to that the strategic and tactical goals such as capturing towns/airfields that actually has an effect on the game and it's really unbeatable if that's what you're looking for. You can also throw in player controlled AAA, artillery, ships (including moving aircraft carriers), tanks, APCs, half-tracks, and a large number of aircraft (including four engined bombers). Don't forget the ability to fully crew up bombers and tanks. Built in voice rock solid comms with multiple channels including one for all friendlies withing a certain range (so you don't have to tune to a specific frequency) and the MP deal is sealed.

If all you're looking for is better graphics, more accurate systems modeling, and detailed cockpits, then IL-2 beats it.

--Outlaw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree about the problem with IL2 concerning the 3-point landings. Hard to do in any aircraft without a wing dropping at the last second. This is not realistic and few, if any aircraft would do this in RL.