PDA

View Full Version : The downfall of 334th!

danjama
09-25-2005, 07:48 AM
Since i get on with pretty much everyon here, i would like to ask you online flyers a small favour http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Could anyone enlightenme as to why our server is becoming less and less popular? We've done our best to extinguish kill stealers and shoulder shooters, but every server has them. How do you stop it? Is it our maps? Plane sets? Our squad members? We want to improve our server and have it full like back in the spring. Is it too laggy and needs reverting to tighter ping restrictions? what? Not moaning, just would like some advice as all our work seems to be going down the pan... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

danjama
09-25-2005, 07:48 AM
Since i get on with pretty much everyon here, i would like to ask you online flyers a small favour http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Could anyone enlightenme as to why our server is becoming less and less popular? We've done our best to extinguish kill stealers and shoulder shooters, but every server has them. How do you stop it? Is it our maps? Plane sets? Our squad members? We want to improve our server and have it full like back in the spring. Is it too laggy and needs reverting to tighter ping restrictions? what? Not moaning, just would like some advice as all our work seems to be going down the pan... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

VW-IceFire
09-25-2005, 08:00 AM
1) No ground targets

2) Maps tend to be boring with nothing on them and just bases sprinkled around

3) Planesets are the same on both sides...I'd prefer to see Axis VS Allies (even if its Germans AND Japanese at the same base)

4) Clear, concise, and friendly rules outlined on the main screen specifying where vulching is and is not allowed and what the policy is

5) A chance of policy to suggest that an aircraft not be attacked during takeoff run or landing (at the moment its wheels up which is very counter intuitive).

On the issue of number 5...you need to go one of two ways. Go full out vulching or give people some room. Wheels up/wheels down is not good enough...unless you fly a Zero or a Yak and you have the power to weight ratio to fight from 200kph and still have a shot at winning. A P-47 or FW190 pilot is going to be murdered. IF you go for full out vulching you need to do a few things.

1) Base objects - bases weren't just open grass fields with nothing around them...there should be buildings, fences, parked vehicles, parked aircraft...the place should be bustling with activity (mind you - within reason as its a dogfight server and we don't want to be bogged down with low FPS over the bases either...balance can be easily achieved). There should also be flak at the bases. A group of 5 Bofors 40mm emplacements and a heavy flak gun or something similar from the German or Russian stables (25mm for instance) will make vulching dangerous and hanging around bases waiting for people to take off even moreso.

There will be complaints if you goto this format...but it will ultimately be better and more realistic. Reply to the complaints that people have it too good...you had to fight more than just the enemy plane in the war so why make it really easy to them in the simulation? Inject a bit of history and make things a little more vibrant.

I still like having a large planeset on your server...I like being able to choose what I'd like to fly. But the map choices, the setup, and the attitude that is encouraged makes me want to fly elsewhere. Doing something like the old TX server or the server that WarClouds was before it became WarClouds would be better.

UK-D has it perfectly right when it comes to an open and encouraging server for the novice to experienced pilot who doesn't want full switch settings but still have alot of fun. Come fly with us...you'll see some who were once regulars at 334th flying there.

p1ngu666
09-25-2005, 08:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
We've done our best to extinguish kill stealers and shoulder shooters, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that could be the reason, as a large part of your clientel seemed tobe those http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

some objects to blow up would be nice, should try and stick to the servers airquakes route..

Taylortony
09-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Again I like all planes on both sides.. AI ones would be a nice touch too, I often leave a game if the plane sets become restrictive. As you can never get an even balance if you restrict them ... sometimes you get trounced by one sided plane sets... try playing with the time of day as well.. dawn / dusk missions add atmosphere.

I stopped using it because of the wheels up policy, It was used by people to simply avoid being killed by dropping their wheels.. frustrating after chasing them 1/2 way across a map then as you close they drop the gear miles from base, claim they are landing and moaning that you shot em down.

danjama
09-25-2005, 08:21 AM
To Icefire:

These are ideas that i actually suggested a couple months ago but Guess what? No one listened! I too hate the wheels up/landing lights policy. I think i am going to do one of 2 things! Make my own maps with the features that you guys have mentioned, such as ground objects and small Flak, or i will leave the squad and make my own, but i think it would be better to work on 334th caus everyone knows it and would(i think) like to see it improved. I used to fly UK-ded, i dont know why i stopped. I like UKded 2 but noone flies there any more. Maybe ill join ya on there and get a few ideas for my new maps.

To pingu:

I dont know, we have tried to extinguish these people but some are ar$eh0l3s. We just want a friendly atmosphere for people to fly, but in the end people just get angry when they are there.

Any other advice or thoughs are appreciated.

Maple_Tiger
09-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Sorry danjama, I didn't notice ,until about two days ago, that you even had a DF room going.

Heres my input,

1) I totaly agree with IceFire.

2) Realistic plane sets are better.

3) Limmited icons(friendly ony) or close to it.

I'm on dial up, my ping jumps some times for no reason, and I get booted from most DF servers. Wasn't too bad back when it was just AEP though. Hence, please don't tighten the internet settings too much lol

Anyway, now that I know for sure that you guys run a DF server, I'll hop on today and say hello.

danjama
09-25-2005, 08:38 AM
MT u know im Zippo right lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif oh i registered on your forums just now. Mental there! Anyone else wishes to help me out here please do http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

F19_Ob
09-25-2005, 08:41 AM
Sorry to hear u have these problems.
I have not flown on your server, but generally an unbalanced planeset seems to be a great turn off.

Balanced planesets are very difficult to achieve sometimes and really requires a high degree of knowledge about planes specs and their different goodies and baddies aswell as their specific tactics.
, so one have a clue how they relate to eachother.

Although one have several planes to choose from it usually ends up being the top-rides chosen on both sides. So if one side have inferior planes compared to the opposition the larger number of people will go to the winning side and fly the top-rides (simple psychology)

Mixing top-rides with Poor-rides is a difficult balanceact and calls for some clever thinking and planning to work well.
Sometimes several thousand meters of airstart for poor planes may be used, or to give top-rides longer distance to travel to target.
This ofcourse if one want to have both poor-rides and top-rides in the same mission.

Balance is important like any competition in sports. Both sides must have equal possibility to win http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Maple_Tiger
09-25-2005, 08:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
MT u know im Zippo right lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif oh i registered on your forums just now. Mental there! Anyone else wishes to help me out here please do http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes lol, I'knows you da Zippo man. See you guys this evening!

BaronUnderpants
09-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Sadly i dont think Allied vs Axis planesets would work, teams would allways tilt towards allies due to the large numbers of less expirient flyers.

What i think would be fun though would be more planesets with older types....not La7, Yak, Bf-K4 and Fw A/D 9 on every single map, more planemaches from -39 to -43...why not use what the game offers, I-16, P11, Hurris, early Bf.

I know u reasently started using new smaller maps with early plansets and i for one would like to see more of that.

Keep the maps relativly small, throw in fearly easy objectives ( u can bomb with the TB 3 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ), FILL the landingstrips with flak to get rid of thoose a##holes who finds it extreemly funny to piss people of http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif.
KICK people who doest listen, give the one warning and kick them, if they return and still dissregards the rules, bann them. Cant remember seeing anyone ever getting kicked ( might be wrong here )

Maby u could try using all the setting u are currently using but with closed pit on 1 or 2 maps? ( closed pit, full icons, Fly by wiew and so on )

I know its difficoult to make everyone happy but what ever u do dont listen to the hard core flyers who leave the servers because the best plane they can fly is a Bf 109 G2 ( actually seen it happen )......unless u wanna a new version of War Clouds that is.

Like IceFire said, throw in a bit of history and keep it vibrant, on some of the new smaller maps u started to use there have been so much action and DF going on that no one had the time to woulch and acting stupid http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LeadSpitter_
09-25-2005, 09:22 AM
You guys are a great bunch, you know me i dont like those server settings and never really flown there except to checkout skins in external views.

The main reason why its not so popular is becuase your crowd is flying the AFJ server which has the same settings you guys used. 334th use to be always full 24/7 even more players then all the half real servers like warclouds and others. Only after you guys got some competition for your settings type is what made it seem to decline.

I'd say to get them back have many historic scenarios all fronts, use the new scripted dogfight script that warclouds uses.

Put alot of the external view ais flyable, lots of ground targets maybe early war bases very close and latewar bases far.

HLs players also have descreased incrediably since 4.01 weather its patch fms ballistics trim speed etc or what I think is the main reason, new system requirements of 4.01 drove more then half of the online community away in which had mediocre pcs and graphic cards.

PS dont step into BaronUnderpants BS

BaronUnderpants
09-25-2005, 09:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
You guys are a great bunch, you know me i dont like those server settings and never really flown there except to checkout skins in external views.

The main reason why its not so popular is becuase your crowd is flying the AFJ server which has the same settings you guys used. 334th use to be always full 24/7 even more players then all the half real servers like warclouds and others. Only after you guys got some competition for your settings type is what made it seem to decline.

I'd say to get them back have many historic scenarios all fronts, use the new scripted dogfight script that warclouds uses.

Put alot of the external view ais flyable, lots of ground targets maybe early war bases very close and latewar bases far.

HLs players also have descreased incrediably since 4.01 weather its patch fms ballistics trim speed etc or what I think is the main reason, new system requirements of 4.01 drove more then half of the online community away in which had mediocre pcs and graphic cards.

PS dont step into BaronUnderpants BS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

???....whats your problem, trying to give my point of wiew and suggestions, and maby give Zippo some ideas.

For your info i fly 334:th as often as i can becuse its the best arround manly because of good ping and good number of players.

Serpentmaster09
09-25-2005, 09:56 AM
The reason for your downfall is because you are a victim of your own success. I personally dont like the settings or planeset on your server and will not fly there but you did have something that allot of online pilots were looking for and your server stayed full. I aggree with leadspitter about your downfall comming from other servers that simply duplicated what you were offering. It always happens. It happened to warclouds and warbirds of prey spits vs 109s and zekes vs wildcats too so dont feel bad. The big guys went through the same thing. The only thing that they did but you didn't do was adapt and offer their own special brand. On Warclouds you are pretty much guaranteed to find your favorite bird in the hanger and a fight as soon as you take off. On the two mentioned warbirds of prey servers you will get full real settings and historical matchups that span the all years of ww2. You need to do something that will set your server appart from the others. I do not know what that something is that you can do, but ask some of your faithfull flyers. Hyperlobby isn't as busy as it used to be and there are just less pilots to fill up every server.

Daiichidoku
09-25-2005, 10:14 AM
LS is correct, AFJ server has taken many fliers, as it has the same settings, but is way more stable and smooth

If you get your server smooth as they, your flock can easily come back, as, IMO, AFJ planesets are simply ridiculous...too bad, waste of a great server
(examples: post war yak 3Ps in some maps...you know those maps, cuz at least 1/4 of ppl are flying them...then, in another afj map with only the yak3, NO-ONE is flying them...guess babies NEED two extra cannon

another map with La7, AND La7 3xB20....huh? why waste a planeset slot with redundancy like that?...that same map has the swine 109Z, but features the TB3 SBP...but why? no I 16 SBPs are included, and the bombload of the TB# SBP sucks, why not EITHER of the other TB#s with at least, decent bombload?...meanwhile, despite having 45 F4U 1Cs (45) and La7 3xB20 (really, a 45 type) there is only the 190D9 (44 version only), in spite of there being a 45 D 9 that could be put in

i think both servers suffer from NOT letting bombers gun vulch...really, who wants to fly a B 25 or A 20 across a map, assuming one can get through the point-hungry masses flying uber-mega-cannoned trying to get the 200 points ur bobmers worth, (so they can think theyre great pilots), if you can only drop a few bombs to no great effect, then fool yourself into thinking you can actually make it back to base?....

dayum, all flyable bombers have forward firing guns, LET BOMBERS GUN VULCH!!!!

bomber tgts are fine, but never ever use any more grd objects than absolutley nessessary...

place whatever bomber tgts you wish...a train, a certain building, a ship etc....leave it at that...forget about those who say sillyness like "Base objects - bases weren't just open grass fields with nothing around them...there should be buildings, fences, parked vehicles, parked aircraft...the place should be bustling with activity (mind you - within reason as its a dogfight server and we don't want to be bogged down with low FPS over the bases either...balance can be easily achieved). There should also be flak at the bases. A group of 5 Bofors 40mm emplacements and a heavy flak gun or something similar from the German or Russian stables (25mm for instance) will make vulching dangerous and hanging around bases waiting for people to take off even moreso."

NO pretty scenery grd objs, at all

flak, however, can and should be used, in lim numbers...to discourage those that like to bounce ppl taking off or landing, try this:

JP type 96 3x25mm, one on each end of airstrip, plus one near middle...but set range (hold fire)to 1000 or 1500m, so as to not have it fire at everythign inthesky....this keeps its firing time to a minimum, and only at those truly too close to the airfield....it also balances the fact that one may allow bombers to gun straffe airfields

the idea of graduating planesets by era is nice, too....pre-43, up to 43, up to 44, 45 and "fantasy" and jet types is good, only 4 maps need be in rotation
just have to be careful, as, for example, many ppl will put the La7 3xB20 in a 44 planeset, when it truly belongs in 45, etc etc

crashmaster4000
09-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Allowing bombers to vulch with guns is a great idea and one I never really considered. It would encourage more people to fly 'em and therefore should allow for more variables in the fight.

TAGERT.
09-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Since i get on with pretty much everyon here, i would like to ask you online flyers a small favour http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Could anyone enlightenme as to why our server is becoming less and less popular? We've done our best to extinguish kill stealers and shoulder shooters, but every server has them. How do you stop it? Is it our maps? Plane sets? Our squad members? We want to improve our server and have it full like back in the spring. Is it too laggy and needs reverting to tighter ping restrictions? what? Not moaning, just would like some advice as all our work seems to be going down the pan... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Maybe you guys could have a contest? For example, one of the more historic servers was talking about offering a TrackIR system to the guy wiht the higest score (gnd and air). You guys could do something simular, like offer a box set of Quake, or DOOM, or some other shoot em up bang bang game. Hmmm, on 2nd thought that might not work, Im sure they allready have all those! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

fordfan25
09-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Since i get on with pretty much everyon here, i would like to ask you online flyers a small favour http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Could anyone enlightenme as to why our server is becoming less and less popular? We've done our best to extinguish kill stealers and shoulder shooters, but every server has them. How do you stop it? Is it our maps? Plane sets? Our squad members? We want to improve our server and have it full like back in the spring. Is it too laggy and needs reverting to tighter ping restrictions? what? Not moaning, just would like some advice as all our work seems to be going down the pan... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

may want to get rid of some of your members. all though i have started flying there again i had stoped for awhile do to poor attitude of SOME of your members. there "we do what we want and if you dont like it go play some wear else" attitudes may be a factor in people doing just that. not bashing your squad so keep that in mind. ever squad has trouble makes after all im the trouble maker in my Sq LOL.

also a few maps with historical plane sets MIGHT help once in awhile. like early war. mid war ect. and for the love of all things GROUND TARGETS and base AAA http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Taylortony
09-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Yup had that too Fordfan...... Told me we do what we want blah blah blah after I complained about one of them... (A member of the 344th shot me down several times taking off with the gear still dangling like a set of proverbial goolies)............ Never bothered to go back after that, thought if you want to be so an_al don't expect me to fly against u and that was one nail in their coffin, perhaps they were trying to complete the Box.. Once the rot sets in like that you have a hard time getting folks back.......... Some servers really go out of there way to help, I ALWAYS when leaving a game thank everyone for an excellent game and wish them well, I feel it sets a standard and apprecitation is always welcome.

Estocade85
09-25-2005, 11:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serpentmaster09:
You need to do something that will set your server appart from the others. I do not know what that something is that you can do, but ask some of your faithfull flyers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Serpentmaster09. A more specialized server might be the answer to get back some players from the competition. Your server must have something that makes it special. Something that will make players say "Ah the 334th server...that's where I go to (insert special option here). "

On a more personal note, here's what I would find interesting :

1) Skin transfer enabled. I WOULD SELL MY MOM for a good server that allows it. Now THAT would make it special. I'd play there just to hit F2 and drool at all the pretty skins. It would add some ambiance too. With all the serv tweaks around regarding skin transfer, it's totally possible to avoid any stutters.

2) Limited icons. Something like a "medium" setting, as most server are either "arcade" or "pro" regarding icons.

3) Practical objectives. Nothing fancy or super-complicated, but enough g-targets to keep it fun and objective-oriented. Not many servers have that. It's either dumb DF or WW2 recreation. Something in between would set it apart.

4) Consistent planes. Keep the '45s with the '45, etc...

Well that's my opinion! Good luck http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

marcocomparato
09-25-2005, 11:23 AM
well actually gentlement i fly both Warclouds and 334th. i prefer full-real since im on TrackIR, but those servers get pretty sparse and empty since warclouds or birdsofprey maps can be huge and have only 14 people playing.

Late night i like to jump on 334th (flying with full cockpit, no hudlog, but with icons-on. The maps are always nice and small and the engagements can almost always be found in a matter of minutes and then your fighting. (i also ping it at 15ms which also helps.

Lately , on those late nights, ive been seeing both AFJ and 334th with flyers. i look at WHO is flying and what kind of scares me off is that i see 334th usually with no less than 6 or even 10 squadron-mates. Now...im not too bad, but no amount of skill will fair against a coordinated squadron that is actually watching their wingman's back.

(that really brings up my sorest point but its kind of OT and that is that I cant believe how almost nobody on any server except for maybe zeke_vs_Wildcats ever form-up casually and work with any teamwork. WHICH IS SUICIDE. a decent pilot with a dedicated wingman can take on up to 6 other opponents at once! alone, you cant take more than one. ITS HOW YOU CAN GET BIG SCORES) but often if i pull up and ride a stranger's wing, theyre almost likely to try and shake me!

A suggestion also that the icons get just a bit more limited on 334th. i would be stoked if i could just not see the DISTANCE number in their icon. its very distracting.

--Quick (formerly 249th_DaBomb!)

danjama
09-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks for your post fellas, they are very productive and have helpedme alot. Ill let ya all know when i have chabged the server, i need the COs permission hehe http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Xiolablu3
09-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Basically because its the same Planeset nearly every map and there are no objectives, its just dogfight after dogfight.

Take a fly on UK dedicated 1 to check it out.

I used to play on 334th (great guys) a lot but it became a bit repetative.

Another reason I think is that there is the AFJ server now too, which is even more arcadey than yours, this means the more arcade orieted who want a quick dogfight fix are more likely to go on theirs because its 'instant action'

Add to your server historical planesets, different maps with different planesets, ground objectives so people can bomb in Heinkels and A20s. Different peroids each map with different planes.

I am loving UK dedicated 1 just because of the variety, you can do many different things not just dogfight, and its not too hardcore (eg flying around for half an hour trying to find the enemy) so its actually enjoyable. This server seems to be geting more popular. There is also an honour between all the regular pilots there. (Icefire, Sepp, JTD, Levola, Xeno, Kaster, Kordan, Ovod are all great guys to fly with sorry if I missed a few)

I have had many great flights on 334th and its where I learnt to dogfight, I just dont fly on the as much now.

Just my opinion.

VV_Holdenb
09-25-2005, 02:04 PM
I think the 334 server was/is just great fun. Great crowd too. The reason for not been there is just not getting enough blasted time to fly. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

bolillo_loco
09-25-2005, 06:29 PM
I was briefly in the 334th and I made two or three maps for their server. I was responsible for the I-153 map and the two pacific maps that had two different historical plane sets which I balanced so that it wouldn't be on sided. It was japan vs america and you only had 3-5 flyable planes for each team. All of the maps ran very smoothly simply because of the very limited plane set. For one reason or another they were pulled from the 334th server. Some people liked them and some did not.

I have no clue why the popularity of your server has died out. I find it hard to believe that it based soley on the AFJ server running more smoothly. 325th_Elite had a server called "325th dedicated" and I know how Elite is. He rented the most geeked out server w/ a blistering fast upload and down load, yet his server failed due to lack of interest.

I have noticed that less people play the game lately. I was gone for a few months and when I came back I noticed that there were no longer 1,000+ people in the hyperlobby during peak hours.

Maybe it will spring back, good luck with that.

uglyohyeah
09-25-2005, 07:05 PM
I agree with marcocomparito, I used to go to 334th for a quick bit of fun but on several occasions it was dominated by quite a large number of teammates sticking together, and picking everyone else off and gloating about it.

I realise that everyone should really use those tactics but sometimes you just want to get up quickly and mix it. If I want a serious game I go to ZvW.

I resorted to flying bombers and raiding bases, I quite enjoy the challenge of getting there getting a kill or two and nursing my bomber back to base. When you're up against 5 La7's that basically shred you in seconds that soon looses it's appeal.

I do still visit from time to time though, sometimes have a lot of fun on there.

One suggestion, how about allowing vulching with rockets too?

TX-Bomblast
09-25-2005, 07:45 PM
~S~334,
Your server is lots of fun, I fly it a few days a week. These are some ideas I think could make it better.

- Give each side objectives, such as ships, armoured column, airfield, aircraft plant.
- Script the plane set....German/Russian/Japan/Brian/..etc...
-Spread your bases, make the pilots take more than 25% fuel.
-Add AA to the maps, not much but just enough to make some one know it's there.
-Remove all the wonder planes, you know, the ones that only saw a few seconds of combat.
-Make it seem like it's a mission, so each side has to work together as a team to win, no one likes a braggart loner/loser.
-shorten the icons for both sides.
-Make more bombers flyabe to both sides, even if you have to insert one from a different country just to balance it out.
-Has anyone made a "Destroy a V-1 Plant or launch site map"? It would force the defending
team to run CAP.

Just my two cents..

TX-Bomblast
White 6

HotelBushranger
09-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Problem with servers like 334th is the planeset, most of all. Theres always just uber late noob planes, i.e La 7, Spit 9 CW, Yak9, etc. And, when there is earlier planes included, noone flies them because they get creamed.

There needs to be more early war planeset servers. Way more. And I mean just earlier war. There's no point in putting in say 1942, 1943 aircraft, if you also put in 109Z's for example. What plane to you think people are gonna go for?

Also, more Pacific maps. One of the best maps I played was one by Vf19_Congo. He had a US carrier attacking a wee little Japanese airbase. Scenery was lovely, sun was shining, twas great. Bettys, Zeros and Ki-61 Ko's (didnt like that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif) against A20's, F6F's, Corsairs etc. The balanced planeset could have been a bit more balanced, but I suppose, especially playing on the Japanese side, it was that bit more rewarding taking out a superior US plane with a crud maching like the Ko (Felt great shooting down a Boston with 2 .50s and 2 .30s too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif) Nonetheless, it was probably the most fun I've had in years. Why? Because
a) Nice and new location
b) Good planeset, no 42 planes mixed with 44 planes
c) respectful pilots
d)airbases close together, made for non-stop high energy action
Think that was about it.

So yeah, take note of planesets-I am, and probably almost everyone else is sick of 44/45 dogfight servers. Chuck something new into the mix. Chuck in some AA, some objects, stuff like that. Gives dive-bombers and bombers an actual purpose.

Good hunting http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

x__CRASH__x
09-26-2005, 12:20 AM
I fly Open Pit occansionally. AFJ and 334th were around at the same time. I've flown both.

- 334th was about as stable as a crack *****. They kept putting in the server that you must switch to one speed or another for server stability. But it was never stable. (Before you blame the masses, other servers are stable without having to beg for people to set their connection speed)

- Plane sets are uninspiried, and people fly the easiest noob planes they can. People have been flying this sim for years. A lot of your crowd have been flying the same plane in the same type of server that whole time. Figure out a way to make it intesting. Don't give them La-7's, Yaks or Spits. Give them G.50's, P.11's, or Hurri Mk Is!

Lord_Rhah
09-26-2005, 07:17 AM
I fly the 334th quite often, and enjoy it for the most part, as being a bit of a newb im not too great on full real settings.
Unfortunetely there does seem to be a lot of (blatant) kill stealing and *****ing, but hopefully that will calm down now the kids have finished school holidays!

As other people have mentioned, it would be good to have a few ground targets, some base AAA defences, and limited planesets (with some flyable AI only though)

stevedeth2004
09-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Interesting questions and answers, I'm assuming I am the target audience for this question. I started full tilt with online flying at the beginning of the year. I found the 334th server and loved it and forked over some paypal cash. After I got more experience online flying I moved into a squadron and started flying on the no external view cockpit servers.

There was a point where I made a decision not fly so much on 334. That was when I discovered (no one told me) the shift F1 view. I realized that was a new way to fly and I assumed that lots of people used that. So the decision was learn to fly that way or go with no external views. So in a nutshell I started on easy flying servers, found 334th and Valjac on UBI, then graduated from there to no cockpit and now no minimap and the like.

The point is what is the goal. I loved the experince with 334th and liked getting beter using the server. After a while though just fighing against spits and LA-7s and one shot KI84Cs lost it's magic. Don't try and be something your not though by duplicating something else. Keep it fun and a stepping stone.

I would fly there more often now if there were map plane sets. (I don't care red or blue have same planes) but have like up to 41 then 42-43 then 44 then 45. This does not have to be Axis v Allies. Make the colors Orange and Green for that matter, just have it so there are two teams that are evened out when players join. I don't now care for external views, but not using them in a server like this does make you a better pilot against the all seeing pilots.

I really like the skins in this server. There are some great ones and that is still a main attraction.

Thanks

Sluggo

JtD
09-26-2005, 09:26 AM
This game is getting older and your server settings are more appealing to the occasional flyer - which become less as the game ages.

There were times when the Hyperlobby was crowded with 1000 or so players, now you rarely have more than 300 - most of which are veterans who prefer 'fuller switch' settings, coops or online wars.

This might change when a new patch or a small addon comes along.

neural_dream
09-26-2005, 09:28 AM
334th was a nice server. The kill stealers and vulchers were not really that annoying. Vulching is mainly the victim's mistake (or better the victim team's mistake) and kill stealing isn't that bad either. If you killed someone then you know you did; it doesn't matter what the server keeps in the stats. After all, most of the times it kept wrong stats http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif.

There were though two serious turn offs:
* Blue La7s and Red Ki84s. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif
* Wonderwoman allowed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

If you corrected those two, and changed the icon distances to something like 1 or 2km, then i would happily return to 334th even with only 4-5 people there.

Oh and not only '45 plz. 1-2 scenarios for each year would be perfect.

TX-Bomblast
09-26-2005, 02:34 PM
One more comment....leave it open cockpit. For those who prefer complete and full difficulty, they can go and fly all the other servers out there. No need in forcing the last two servers into a closed cockpit/TrackIR fest....

TX-Bomblast
White 6

fordfan25
09-26-2005, 03:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lord_Rhah:
I fly the 334th quite often, and enjoy it for the most part, as being a bit of a newb im not too great on full real settings.
Unfortunetely there does seem to be a lot of (blatant) kill stealing and *****ing, but hopefully that will calm down now the kids have finished school holidays!

As other people have mentioned, it would be good to have a few ground targets, some base AAA defences, and limited planesets (with some flyable AI only though) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hay didnt i see you on there last night. yea you team killed me then stole my kill. and just as i was takeing of you vaultched me with guns. lol j/k

Max.Power
09-26-2005, 05:20 PM
It's a shame that you're seeing a decline. My experience with the afj server is the exact opposite of most people's. I find that server to be laggy, and clunky; and I get too much packet loss to abide. I can have sorties where I don't shoot anyone down, but I look on my client statistics in il2config and I'm shooting upwards of 6 percent. Now, with the 190, deflection shooting 6 percent is more than enough to get at least a kill every hour or so.. but I see no hits and no damage. So, I'm left with the 334th server to cope with my online dogfight cravings.

On another irrelevent note, I find that there are a lot of people with bad attitudes on the afj server... maybe it's your old clientelle http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I think that what you need to do is distance yourself from the AFJ rules. If AFJ is filling the niche, you have to move into another one. You could try and step up the realism and complexity or tone it down. I suggest stepping it up to somewhere between AFJ and warclouds. This would put you in competition with RCAF_FB, but I think that if you have less restrictive planesets and some theme maps, that your server could be a lot of fun. (by less restrictive I mean less monotonous. RCAF's plane sets are kind of bunk, as far as I am concerned.)

danjama
09-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks for all your comments. Thanks for all your support. Im letting you all know that i am testing my maps nightly(almost) and i am on there as 334th_Zippo1. So of a night look for a DF server of that name or just ask if ive been on or am on. Then join and let me know what ya think. Ive made a few drastic changes including bomber and fighter bases, ground target areas, realistic planesets and also icon changes. Ill of course update everyone on here when new maps are actually on our server. Please come fly my maps while their in testing phase. I need input and i need to get 30 people on there totest for lag when AA starts flying.

96th_Nightshifter
09-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Arrow distances are a big turn off to be honest - I used to fly the 334th a lot but after experiencing other servers settings I kinda didn't like the fact that you really CAN'T use much in the way of tactics in the 334th server. You know that most people in there will be flying wonderwoman view so if you fly in there then you really have to do the same or you are at a serious disadvantage due to the arrows giving away your position from miles away - basically you can't sneak up on anyone and nobody can sneak up on you - kinda takes away any surprise. Also I have noticed some of your sqaud mates insulting people which is not only going to stop that particular person coming back but also anyone else who is on and thought that the squad member was out of order.
Suggestions:
UKDed 1 for example have their settings in such a way that you can fly HUD view or Cockpit view and have little difference in advantage from doing either of them, what other server can say that?
It is also strict but fair in upholding the rules of the server, basically the admins do their jobs.
I have also posted my ideas for the 334th server at your forums a while back.

Cola58
09-30-2005, 07:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Max.Power:
On another irrelevent note, I find that there are a lot of people with bad attitudes on the afj server... maybe it's your old clientelle http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol...... i like when people have something to say but are too chicken sh** to say it, so they make little digs at squads or people thinking they are cool.

On another note, i like your server 334th's keep up the good job. its hard to please everyone, and you guys are doing great!!

fordfan25
09-30-2005, 09:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cola58:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Max.Power:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol...... i like when people have something to say but are too chicken sh** to say it, so they make little digs at squads or people thinking they are cool.

On another note, i like your server 334th's keep up the good job. its hard to please everyone, and you guys are doing great!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont know. sounds like he said it just fine.

VFA-25_Peckens
09-30-2005, 09:11 PM
1.its too arcadish no cockpit drives me crazy
2.all i ever see ppl flying anymore is the yak3p mainly
3.plane sets are terrible it would be nice to have the same years on each side
4.bases are too close

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

danjama
09-30-2005, 09:20 PM
I may as well announce here that i am done with 334th! I need to change my sig. I was tryin to fill the server up all night, i went in there, and one of our guys is stealing kills, vulching etc so i slug it out with him there and then in front of everyone, told him hes an ar$3hol3 and he is ruining the server when i been workin to populate it again. Then he cries to the CO awe Zippos being mean to me in front of everyone. Then he said apologise. I told the said "ars3hol3" to apologise for strafing etc and he wouldnt so i told em what i thought of em and quit! Seriously most of em are nice, but a few just aint worth the time of day. With this announcement i spose theres no point in posting any more ideas. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif PS dont fly 334th S~ look out for my P47 vs 190s map!

fordfan25
09-30-2005, 09:31 PM
I may as well announce here that i am done with 334th! I need to change my sig. I was tryin to fill the server up all night, i went in there, and one of our guys is stealing kills, vulching etc so i slug it out with him there and then in front of everyone, told him hes an ar$3hol3 and he is ruining the server when i been workin to populate it again. Then he cries to the CO awe Zippos being mean to me in front of everyone. Then he said apologise. I told the said "ars3hol3" to apologise for strafing etc and he wouldnt so i told em what i thought of em and quit! Seriously most of em are nice, but a few just aint worth the time of day. With this announcement i spose theres no point in posting any more ideas. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif PS dont fly 334th S~ look out for my P47 vs 190s map! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmm at least you know i was not BSing you when i said some members were Aholes. ill keep an eye out 4 your up comeing server. should think also about starting your own squad. hand pick the members and keep close tabs. heck id join as a secound squad *sux when 99% of your squad are in other time zones and on at 3 in the morning LOL*

spitzfiya
10-01-2005, 03:37 AM
Hi!

I Learned to Dogfight on 334th and I Know why it died, Because of AFJ. I fly AFJ exclusively because it's very stable and i get excellent pings.

My most fondest memory is dogfighting on 334th with a early war plane set, I enjoyed dogfighting in biplanes for a change.

My Suggestions for an excellent server is:

Rules:

2) No Vulching, On the ground ANYWHERE = SAFE
3) No kill stealing
4) No shoulder shooting
5) No Chute Popping
6) No Swearing

Physical:

1) Smaller maps with valleys, canyons, and varied terrain.
2) There should only be two Spawn bases per side per map, Foward airfield and back airfield.
3) No flak
4) Timelimit of 1 hour and a half for each map, no kill limit system (Dosen't work correctly anyways)
5) Ships to destroy
6) 2 Plane sets, Early war plane sets (I-15, I-16, P.11, Gladiator, ect, ect) and Late war current plane set (Yak3P, BF-109K, LA73XB, SpitfireMKIX, ect, ect) Early plane set maps only appear once in a while. Would be alot of fun to see early war dogfighting.
7) AI Plane sets (B-29, B-17) activated on some maps, not all.
8) No turbulence, weather, or fog on any maps
9) More Pacific maps

And thats about it, I hope this was usefull coming from a player who spends alot of time in arcade servers like AFJ and UK DED http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif