PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire IX/VIIIs VSI (Vertical Speed Indicator)

Kurfurst__
11-02-2004, 07:17 AM
I am wonder about this.. the IX LF/HF and the Mk VIII have a VSI that only goes up as far as 4000 feet/min climbrate on the scale, iirc.

Certainly not up to 5000 ft/sec, or something like that, which you would naturally expect from a plane that is supposed to have a sustained climb rate of over 4000 fpm... bug? Leftover VSI from the Mk Vs model? Faulty research, and the IX. F.`s - which had a weaker engine and a max. ROC of ca. 3800 fpm - VSI is being used on the L.F. Mk. IXs as well?

Or maybe I am wrong, and the LFs also had this 4000 fpm scaled instrument (which would be quite stupid from the RAF IMHO)?

Kurfurst__
11-02-2004, 07:17 AM
I am wonder about this.. the IX LF/HF and the Mk VIII have a VSI that only goes up as far as 4000 feet/min climbrate on the scale, iirc.

Certainly not up to 5000 ft/sec, or something like that, which you would naturally expect from a plane that is supposed to have a sustained climb rate of over 4000 fpm... bug? Leftover VSI from the Mk Vs model? Faulty research, and the IX. F.`s - which had a weaker engine and a max. ROC of ca. 3800 fpm - VSI is being used on the L.F. Mk. IXs as well?

Or maybe I am wrong, and the LFs also had this 4000 fpm scaled instrument (which would be quite stupid from the RAF IMHO)?

Philipscdrw
11-02-2004, 08:43 AM
I'm thinking that it is probably accurate.

hop2002
11-02-2004, 09:05 AM
The Spit IX and Spit XIV manuals I've got both show the same, 4000 ft/min, VSI.

VW-IceFire
11-02-2004, 02:51 PM
What about the German planes as well. I don't remember the scaling on the climb indicator except that I can get it over 30 fairly often...so I imagine they just never bothered to install a better indicator? So I'm assuming that this sort of thing happened...

Luftcaca
11-02-2004, 02:55 PM
heh, sorry I'lol be a lil off topic guys, I have a question about the Spitfire VIII

I'd like to know in what theaters it served, more about its operationnal career etc...I want to add in to the PF Dgen files but I dont know where it could actually historically fit, if it would fit somewhere...

Willey
11-02-2004, 03:20 PM
A bit OT: LaGG-3s and Yaks just have 10m/s climb indicators... I've seen a cockpit photo of a Yak-3 already that had the 30m/s gauge the Las already have in FB. The same with Zeros. It's weird to have a 10m/s gauge in planes that reach twice the climb rate...

VW-IceFire
11-02-2004, 06:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Luftcaca:
heh, sorry I'lol be a lil off topic guys, I have a question about the Spitfire VIII

I'd like to know in what theaters it served, more about its operationnal career etc...I want to add in to the PF Dgen files but I dont know where it could actually historically fit, if it would fit somewhere... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The only place I know for sure is the Burma campaign. Which we don't have a map for...yet (it was in an older list). There it operated in 1944-45 fighting mostly Oscars and attacking ground targets.

The RAAF used the Mark VIII but I forget where abouts.

hop2002
11-03-2004, 10:04 AM
The RAAF used them around Darwin (iirc) and New Guinea/Indonesia.

The RAF also used them in Italy and over the Balkans

XyZspineZyX
11-04-2004, 12:13 AM
http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/aircraft/Spitfire.cfm