PDA

View Full Version : question about formatting a laptop

Olegious
07-18-2005, 02:16 AM
so, ive never had to do this for a laptop, is it the same as a desktop? i mean, can i install the same OS as i have on my desktop? do laptops have any special software that may not come with the desktop version of Win XP? i dont have any of the software that came with the laptop (Sony Vaio)

basically i want to know if there is any weirdness associated with formatting/reinstalling everything on a laptop. thanks

CUDGEdaveUK
07-18-2005, 08:27 AM
I would imagine it would be the same as installing XP on a desktop,just by using the XP cd.
I havent a laptop so i don't know,the forum HERE (http://forums.vnunet.com/thread.jsp?forum=10&thread=60563)may help you Oleg?

teebus
07-18-2005, 12:17 PM
The only thing I would think could possibly give you any trouble would be a hard drive not being detecting- requiring you to install third party SCSI drivers- except, this is only the case with SATA hard drives I think.

Guidon666
07-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Same.

I've done it on more than a few laptops and it is the same.... However there is always the odd-man out.

ScrubberManFSJ
07-18-2005, 05:11 PM
here's an idea that saved me many times. BEFORE you reformat the drive, use the systems tab in the control panel to give you a list of all the devices you have in that laptop. Then, go to the web and find the latest drivers for THAT system from Sony. Burn it to a cd, and keep it handy......

Olegious
07-18-2005, 07:19 PM
thanks guys, yeah Scrub thats good advice, i did that, hopefully wont need to use it- here i go...

Olegious
07-19-2005, 11:32 AM
update: so everything works, except for one strange quirk- the computer used to have Win XP home on it, i formatted everything (i deleted all the partitions, made a new one) and installed XP Pro, but when it starts up it asks you to select which OS to use, PRO or Home, any ideas how to get rid of this?

ScrubberManFSJ
07-19-2005, 09:49 PM
This (http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-25224.html) page may help.