PDA

View Full Version : hello everybody, i'm a newbie with a few questions :)

ryo1000
12-31-2007, 05:20 PM
i got the game a week ago( was trying to get wolves of the pacific but my video card doesn't support pixel shader 2.0).with 67% of realism, i started a new career in 7th F starting from 1939 and the time is June of 1940 now. the problem is almost all the ships i encounter during my patrol are some small and coastal merchants and some DDs, even one or two C2 if i'm lucky.
my first question is, is this made this way or am i playing during the wrong period? it would be nice to see a CL or CA once in a while. also i receives a lot of radio contacts, which sometimes shows ships about 20 km away from me and is still moving away. should i take the chance and go after them?
my second question: if you sink a BB, like Hood for example, will the same ship appear later in the same career?
last question: i see people talking about the GWX 1.0 and 2.0 a lot, is it recommanded that i get those? i can't find the patch notes anywhere so kind of curious what changes they make ( i'm still playing the original version 1.4b)
thank you very much and happy new year!

ryo1000
12-31-2007, 05:20 PM
i got the game a week ago( was trying to get wolves of the pacific but my video card doesn't support pixel shader 2.0).with 67% of realism, i started a new career in 7th F starting from 1939 and the time is June of 1940 now. the problem is almost all the ships i encounter during my patrol are some small and coastal merchants and some DDs, even one or two C2 if i'm lucky.
my first question is, is this made this way or am i playing during the wrong period? it would be nice to see a CL or CA once in a while. also i receives a lot of radio contacts, which sometimes shows ships about 20 km away from me and is still moving away. should i take the chance and go after them?
my second question: if you sink a BB, like Hood for example, will the same ship appear later in the same career?
last question: i see people talking about the GWX 1.0 and 2.0 a lot, is it recommanded that i get those? i can't find the patch notes anywhere so kind of curious what changes they make ( i'm still playing the original version 1.4b)
thank you very much and happy new year!

Privateer_GWX
12-31-2007, 05:49 PM
being one of the Dev's of GWX 2.0 I ask.
What are your system specs?
If you meet the top?
Then GWX 2.0 will be fine.
I would suggest you learn the basics in stock
SH3.

Then move up to GWX 2.0
You will understand all then.

ryo1000
12-31-2007, 06:02 PM
i have a 2.66Ghz processor, Radeon 9250 256MB video card,1.5G ram and also a on-board sound card.
correct me if i'm wrong, but are you saying GWX is more difficult than the stock SH3?
after all i just want to see more varity of ships in my game. if the answer is yes i think i'll try it out if my PC meets the system requirements.

geoffwessex
01-01-2008, 12:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ryo1000:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to make your own decisions about whether a contact is worth chasing.... you have to 'become' a U-boat captain and decide what you can and cannot do.... so, yes, you could 'chase' a contact that's going away, by getting around in front of it, if you can do that without being spotted.

As for sinking the Hood and then meeting it again a year later, yes it's possible in the game. Not sure how long the game has Hood as a target, but I met her in 1942 and, of course, she'd been sunk for real in May 1941. Same with Rodney/Nelson - you could meet it/them many times. The game is interactive to a point, but isn't able to reconcile your patrol records (and successful sinkings) with its own AI and ship/target availability. In theory, it could do that, and if it could it would give the game quite amazing dynamics - like you could sink all British battleships by 1942 and eventually could allow a different outcome to the war at sea.
GWX is more difficult that stock SH3 but it has a lot more to offer in terms of historical reality. The brilliant people who have put it together have really done their homework in trying to make the game more historically accurate. Have a look at the GWX2 manual! It's amazing!

ryo1000
01-01-2008, 02:50 AM
okay, i think i'll try the GWX expansion out, thx for answering.