PDA

View Full Version : I can't sink any ships with 1 torp - what's wrong?

TB404
09-09-2005, 04:07 AM
Hi people,
I love this game, been playing it for hours.
Recently I've noticed that I can't sink ANY ships with on etorpedo and even tiny costal merchants need 2 torpedos?

I'm playing in 1941 - and my torps obviously hit.

please advise, thanks!

Baldricks_Mate
09-09-2005, 04:45 AM
Keep trying...I assume you are not using manual targeting?

Be as close to 90 degrees to the target as possible. Come to a range of 500m to 1500m, the closer the better. Select tube & set torpedo depth approporiate to the ship. Acquire target in scope. Lock onto target using black button next to fire button. This will lock onto the centre of the ship. Press Q button to open outer torpedeo doors, it saves some time lag. When the targeting triangle goes from yellow to green, Fire! The centre of the ship is not always the best place to put a torp for a one shot - one kill but at least you will hit it.

Practise in the tutorial if neccessary as many times as required.

Mik1984
09-09-2005, 05:00 AM
His problem is not the fact he can't hit the target, but that that he doesn't destroy it with a single hit.

My advice is: the floatation damage of a torpedo depends of how low below the waterline you hit the target. Check the keel depth of your target and using magetic detonator launch the torpedo to hit it as low as possible.

vanjast
09-09-2005, 05:21 AM
TB404 here's a few notes to help...
90% of ships of this period had their boilers positioned below the funnel/stack. This is your aiming point. If you can hit this area, it should send tonnes of icy water directly into the boiler room (hope this is modelled).
Well! we all know what happens when you mix cold water with a hot coal boiler....Kaboom. This is why you'll find most ship blow themselves to pieces when you hit this soft point. Whether your torp hit at zero depth or under-keel magnetic, it makes little difference.
Close range achieves consistent results here
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

KapYodan
09-09-2005, 06:05 AM
If you are close to 90deg and between 300M and 1000M, open your recognition manual. Find teh paticular ship, lets saya C2. When it is getting to about a 20 Gyro, and you are within the range stated above, you will see 4 boxes come up on the manual. (PS: you have to someone at the weapons officer station) Those 4 boxes are 4 different targets. Rudder,engine room, feul, and keel. when you click on one, it will change the aiming of your torp. It takes just a little practice. But given teh right condition, I have sunk T3s with one torp.

And they light up like christmas trees.

Mik1984
09-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by KapYodan:
If you are close to 90deg and between 300M and 1000M, open your recognition manual. Find teh paticular ship, lets saya C2. When it is getting to about a 20 Gyro, and you are within the range stated above, you will see 4 boxes come up on the manual. (PS: you have to someone at the weapons officer station) Those 4 boxes are 4 different targets. Rudder,engine room, feul, and keel. when you click on one, it will change the aiming of your torp. It takes just a little practice. But given teh right condition, I have sunk T3s with one torp.

Do those boxes appear at 100% realism?

Hitting below the keel makes no difference, however if you hit lower, it causes nasty floatation. Small ships sink after one torpedo, a C2 or C3 can sink with two torps near the rear or front. Just give the ship some time. It will eventually take enough water to put a part of his deck below water, when it starts pouring from the topside, the ship will sink.

Anton_Reinhold
09-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by KapYodan:

I've never seen any boxes come up and I always have an officer posted at the weapons station so that he can open the outer doors for me. I haven't seen those boxes no matter what realsim setting I have used from in the 30% area on up to 100%. Please enlighten us further so that we too may see these...

What I do know is this, I personally CAN sink "most" civilian ships with a single hit using manual targetting. For coastal and small merchants I set the running depth for about 7.5 - 8.0 meters, use the magnetic setting, and just aim for the center of the ship. For the C2 you aim for the center of the bridge, set your fish's depth for 3 meters, and let her have one. I'd say 4 out of 5 times that C2 will blow up! Once in a while they just come to a dead stop and require a second eel. The C3 is sunk like the C2 except aim for the opening in the bridge area that looks like a hallway or catwalk. The T2 and T3 require a hit at about 3 - 4 meters below the waterline in the aft area. You'll have to check the online manual for the exacting specs. Here is the link, hope this hepls:

http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Ship_Weak_Spots

KapYodan, please do tell us how we can get those boxes to come up though...

Chrystine
09-09-2005, 08:10 AM

&nd one can consistently (invariably) €˜break the back€ of a T2, C2 and/or C3 with one torpedo, by setting impact pistol, and torpedo depth to 5 meters (5.5 meters for the T2), and hit broadside, dead-center, at as near to a 90 deg. angle as is possible.

It just never fails to snap their back. They€ll blow sky-high and sink like so many thousands of tons . . .

Best, BOL & Happy hunting!
~ C.

PS. €" Thanks Anton_ €¦ I€ve never, ever been able to find or see those boxes either €¦ Glad it€s not just me!

The_Silent_O
09-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Chrystine:

&nd one can consistently (invariably) €˜break the back€ of a T2, C2 and/or C3 with one torpedo, by setting impact pistol, and torpedo depth to 5 meters (5.5 meters for the T2), and hit broadside, dead-center, at as near to a 90 deg. angle as is possible.

It just never fails to snap their back. They€ll blow sky-high and sink like so many thousands of tons . . .

Best, BOL & Happy hunting!
~ C.

PS. €" Thanks Anton_ €¦ I€ve never, ever been able to find or see those boxes either €¦ Glad it€s not just me!

I just found out about the box feature in the ID book yesterday...it works and you don't even have to have an officer at the weapons station. You have to wait until the target is +/- 15 degrees in the scope, then click on the profile in the open ID book, the gray boxes should appear, then you can target whichever one you want by clicking the boxes, even the rudder (why, I don't know).

I'm using auto-targeting (ie, none of my settings are manual)

But, back to the original statement...few of the ships I hit go down with one torp (The bigger ones of course). I'm satisfied with this since this fits more in line with history. U boat commanders constantly shot least two at large targets and under true combat conditions and stress, accuracy varied highly. There are always stories about uboat commanders coming back to destroy the ships or another uboat finishing them off.

paulhager
09-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by TB404:
Hi people,
I love this game, been playing it for hours.
Recently I've noticed that I can't sink ANY ships with on etorpedo and even tiny costal merchants need 2 torpedos?

I'm playing in 1941 - and my torps obviously hit.

please advise, thanks!

Other than small and coastal merchants, I've found that it usually takes more than one torpedo to insure a kill. The large cargoes seem to be especially robust. I emphasize "kill" because it is probably the case that a C2 that is listing or down by the bow or stern and moving slowing is likely to founder. However, it may take a day and it's not a viable tactic to wait. Instant kills are unrealistic in any case.

Generally, I fire spreads of two at the larger targets. On the three occasions I fired at battleships, I fired 4 torps (in one case missing with all 4!!). I've found that if both torps in the spread hit, a quick kill is likely. Spreads also increase the likelihood of a hit. One hit is almost always going to at least slow a target down. In a convoy attack this means the target will fall behind and can be bagged later.

I've only violated my rule of firing spreads on a few occasions. I've written about those in FaT attack (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/8161075453) and The FaT's in the fire: FaT attack 2 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/6971002553). In those cases I fired single FaTs at tanker targets. Among the large targets, tankers seem to be a little more vulnerable and I was operating on the assumption that FaTs would be more likely to produce hits.

lecek
09-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Anton_Reinhold:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KapYodan:

I've never seen any boxes come up and I always have an officer posted at the weapons station so that he can open the outer doors for me. I haven't seen those boxes no matter what realsim setting I have used from in the 30% area on up to 100%. Please enlighten us further so that we too may see these...

What I do know is this, I personally CAN sink "most" civilian ships with a single hit using manual targetting. For coastal and small merchants I set the running depth for about 7.5 - 8.0 meters, use the magnetic setting, and just aim for the center of the ship. For the C2 you aim for the center of the bridge, set your fish's depth for 3 meters, and let her have one. I'd say 4 out of 5 times that C2 will blow up! Once in a while they just come to a dead stop and require a second eel. The C3 is sunk like the C2 except aim for the opening in the bridge area that looks like a hallway or catwalk. The T2 and T3 require a hit at about 3 - 4 meters below the waterline in the aft area. You'll have to check the online manual for the exacting specs. Here is the link, hope this hepls:

http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Ship_Weak_Spots

KapYodan, please do tell us how we can get those boxes to come up though... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice.

I was the one that contributed all the pictures for the boxes on the merchants.

Anyway.

I got those in an unmodded game at 66% realism (or so). I have been unable to see them at 100.

I think that you need to have the weapons officer help realism setting on as well.

If you do have this on and don't see the boxs', it is because you are not close enough, not perpendicular enough, or the visibility is too poor.

Goosen83
09-09-2005, 08:55 AM
I think that you need to have the weapons officer help realism setting on as well.

That sounds plausible.

SpectreFC
09-09-2005, 09:01 AM
I have found the boxes only appear if you are within 1000 meters AND the ship is close to 90 degrees AOB +- 5-10 degrees AND your gyro is within 15 degrees of 0. I have noticed if say your gyro is 10 degrees aiming at the center of the ship, the boxes are on, if you then move 5 degrees to the bow of the ship, you can witness the boxes turning off.

Each ship has a 'soft-spot'. Sometimes ships can be very tricky to down in a single shot, especially larger ones. Most of the time I aim near where the boiler/engine room would be, but sometimes aiming at the bow or stern does the trick too.

If you hit it right, you will know right away, there is a big secondary explosion and even with realistic sinking times on, the ship will go down quickly.

Just practice, try and set the magnetics as close to the keel as possible. Magnetics arent always neccicary, and sometimes it takes an impact at the right spot to do it.

Youll get there. I cant always sink a ship with one torp.. but if its a big enough ship (t3-c3-c2-t2) it will be worth 2 =-)

You can always just cripple it and come back with your deck gun blazin!

Chrystine
09-09-2005, 09:28 AM

Hi The Silent O,

Many thanks for that €¦
That€s why I€ve never seen it then I imagine €" as I really do prefer to stand-off as much as visibility and torpedo range (& circumstances) allow.
+/- 15 degrees in scope while marking-target would require pretty close range, right?

Please don€t ask me to do math! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

( Edit * Oh, I see SpectreFC€s given it: €œWithin 1,000 meters.€ ).
Thanks! That helps€¦

In the instances where I€ve been at very-close range, has always been in heavy fog, and then I€ve always seemed too-€˜stressed€ trying not to miss it in the few seconds it€s visible, I must have never looked at the ID Manual then.

€œ.. few of the ships I hit go down with one torp. (The bigger ones of course). I'm satisfied with this since this fits more in line with history.€

Yes indeed €" my husband has drubbed that into me by now too€¦ and he€s much the same. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I know I €˜should€ do it that way too €" for the same reason €" but I don€t. If I really believe I can get the kill with one shot €" I€ll only fire one.
At least for myself, I justify this disposition with the €˜consolation€ that even if it doesn€t sink €" it will be crippled €" and I€ll have little trouble setting up on the target for another shot.
I guess it helps me not be €˜wasteful€ €¦ (Which I Really was when starting out with SH III €" horribly-so €¦ and it€s become this sort of €˜habit€ now).

Too, I think I€m helped by the fact that, while like all U-boat Kapitan€s, I do €˜crave the tonnage€ €" my craving is kept in a realistic check. I have no problem getting one certain kill here, now €" or finishing this one off in another hour or so €¦ and letting others vanish. I€m pretty patient. There will be others €¦
Nor do I really give a rat€s-tail what SH III thinks my rank is €¦
I don€t even care.
For the same reason the Type VII is my favored Sub. I like the simulation of not being the great €˜Ace€ €" of being just a Kapitan of a U-boat doing its duty in the U-boat War€s workhorse.
( If this even makes any sense the way I€ve said it?).

&nd I really dislike the feeling I get when I fire a spread (which I do, also on rare occasion) €" and the 2nd or 2nd & 3rd torpedoes plow into a sinking wreck €¦

I think too, I have SH III-itis€¦
I mean €" in the empirical reality, I can so-much-more-easily comprehend the reasoning of firing spread shots.
SH III is infinitely forgiving €¦

Thanks much for your tips tho€! I do appreciate them and will see if I can get those to show up€¦

€˜Close range, Aye!€

Best,
~ C.

SpectreFC
09-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Heres a usefull tip:

I made a 'test' mission to practice 1 shot kills. I put 4 t-3's at about 800-1000 meters at 90 AOB from me. I tried out different depths, spots to aim at.. etc etc. This is how I found out exactly what it takes to get the 'boxes' to appear. I found that for T-3's I could easily sink 3 out of the 4 with a single shot if done right. I just set depth to about 4-6 meters, and I aimed infront of the rear smoke stack, but behind the first crane. The torpedo should hit the front area of the 'engine room'.

After the initial hit, about a second later, a small secondary explosion uccurs, followed by the barrels on deck exploding. The ship takes about 4 minutes to sink after that.

When i aimed for the fuel 'room', it never really worked well. I think what is happening, is SH3 simulates the engine room/boiler exploding, and a second later, igniting the fuel. This of course blasts a huge hole in the ship which sinks stern-first.