PDA

View Full Version : 109 Flaps Jamming

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 03:09 AM
What is the proper procedure for using flaps on a landing approach? I usually switch to combat to slow down a bit and once I am down to around 300km/h I hit flaps twice to go right to landing. I have found in the 109 G series, and the 190 D series, this almost always causes a jam. Is this wrong? Should I apply flaps in stages and wait for the flaps to reach the proper position before lowering them to the next stage?

Thanks in advance.

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 03:09 AM
What is the proper procedure for using flaps on a landing approach? I usually switch to combat to slow down a bit and once I am down to around 300km/h I hit flaps twice to go right to landing. I have found in the 109 G series, and the 190 D series, this almost always causes a jam. Is this wrong? Should I apply flaps in stages and wait for the flaps to reach the proper position before lowering them to the next stage?

Thanks in advance.

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 03:52 AM
When landing, apply the flaps in stages,

Combat flaps under 350kph ( can deploy combat flaps at higher speeds as well )

Lower gear under 300 kph
Then take off flaps under 290kph
and finally landing flaps under 250kph.

Hope that helps. That's what I do.

Leben Sie heute, für morgen zu k¤mpfen

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 05:04 AM
Joachim_vMayern wrote:
- When landing, apply the flaps in stages,
-
- Combat flaps under 350kph ( can deploy combat flaps
- at higher speeds as well )
-
- Lower gear under 300 kph
- Then take off flaps under 290kph
- and finally landing flaps under 250kph.
-
- Hope that helps. That's what I do.
-
- Leben Sie heute, für morgen zu k¤mpfen

Or even a bit slower. Sounds like that is what is happening. I have had that happen. I have even dropped my gear, not paying attention and blew it off lol. Speed is critical on the flaps and gear.

...and once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
for there you have been and there you long to return.
~leonardo de vinci

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 08:58 AM
Deploy combat flaps below 350 and takeoff/landing flaps around 200 and you'll be fine. Landing gear aroun 250 and they'll stay on! Remember to throttle back as you descend as well to keep your speed steady.

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 10:11 AM
A good tip is to make a couple of hard s-turns before u reach the runway. This will bleed speed so u can deploy full flaps and gear faster.

Another good practice ( especially online ) is the fastest
possible combat landings. There are various types but the best I know is:

1. fly low along the runway.Check for aircraft on the ground and possible foes nearby . If clear, cut throttle before the end of the runway, pass it with some hundred meters and make a hard "diagonal" climb and ( half loop) towards the runway and deploy flaps and gear when u are inverted. Now roll and dive down to the strip and land.

Its not too hard to do. the tricky part is to do it in shortest time possible and that takes some practice.

The "diagonal" half loop is important bcause it makes it harder for a vulcher to target u and it is also equally important
to do the halfloop as hard as possible so u dont get too high. this way u will get down fast wich is usefull when your airfield is under attack or enemies is close by.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Another good trick when everything else fails and u have been dragging an enemy behind u ( to your airfield hoping flak and frendlies will down him) is the "upward spiral brake" maneuver. Now... I've only tried this with the 109 so I cant say it will work as good with other planes.

The enemy is close behind. Cut throttle and and pull stick diagonally backvards and use rudder in same direction. Imediatlly after deploy full flap and gear and the result is an inverted upvards spiraling braking movement and even if the bandit on your tail cuts his throttle he will overshoot.

ofcourse this is a high risk maneuver only to be used when everything else fails and there is 3 important factors to consider:

1. Initial speed cant be too high because the spiraling will begin too late to be effective.

2. The bandit must be fairly close behind u so he wont have time to aim succesfully at u.

3. Its wise to have practised to fly close to stalling speed and from there speed up as quickly as possible.

Online I've survived this kind of encounters several times.
sadly i've erased many of my tracks but Ive found 3 raw avi films(many gigs) made with fraps( not yet compressed ) from an online test where I explore the slowflying capabilities of the 109 and it ends with this spiral to evade a bandit and emidiate landing on runway.

I just got premiere and If anyone is interested to host it
I'll try to make a movie of it( after da vincis instructions)

So it would contain a 109 in slow speed, dogfighting and downing a La5 and dodging his friends ( I think it was 1 la5 and 3 p39's ) and escaping with only 1 La5 behind and then loosing him with a spiral climbturn over my airfield and land safely with some holes in cockpit.( some help arrived during my escape )

( obs this is not showing of !it was just an online test with some luck incorporated) /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

maybe I should make a new post of it.
I just dont want throw the avi's away ......but I need the space.