PDA

View Full Version : 1 on 1 tips?

ClnlSandersLite
02-22-2005, 01:57 AM
I've never been able to do the one on one thing. I can hold my own in a team dogfight, but never one on one. Any tips in that regard would be most helpfull.

EnGaurde
02-22-2005, 05:36 AM
i actually prefer one on one.

only one bad guy to watch out for.

i usually fly zeros, i avoid head ons by diving under the oncoming fighter.

in the scissors that every fight deteriorates into eventually, reverse early and often andUNDER your opponent.

this is so you can watch him thru the fight and he can only glimpse you as he rolls. I think this is why i can usually do ok against american fighters as they just cant see me all the time like i can with them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

If you tighten your scissors before he does ( hello there Mr Roll Rate) you'll often get great deflection shot opportunities. And not to mention eventually you are on his tail.

keep in mind if you revrse too early, the opposite is true... practice a smooth viewpoint transition. Works wonders for me, the instant he goes past my centreline of the top of my canopy i reverse my roll and follow him, trying to judge when he'll lose sight of me and reverse again / drop a wing to re-acquire.

Ive noticed, and discovered myself, that people tend to fly less cohesively if theyve lost sight of you, eg often, incredously, in a straight line looking around for your plane. Thats why i always always always try to fly a nice distance below my opponent. It just works so well for me i dont see why not.

i dont go into any fight thinking id be shot down. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif If i do get blasted to bits i try to think why and i NEVER blame his plane is better or the game is porked or some such whiney, schoolboy, but mumsy it isnt fair sh!te. It means i didnt fly around his attempts.

i also tend to think that a successful disengage is a victory. If im damaged, or out of ammo, or on the losing end and i can dive ionto a cloud with wings shaking and loss of control imminent, but get away nice and quietly and land, then ive cheated him of his kill and kept my ar$e in one piece. I win.

be agressive. Try deflection shots with mebbe half your guns. Go for a wing clip empenage removal http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Make it horribly clear you will kill yourself to bring him down.... or is that my Rising Sun headband speaking.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

I guess half the fight is won when he gets desperate before you do.

VF-29_Sandman
02-22-2005, 06:27 AM
main thing is, if u lose sight, u lose the fight. and some planes were not meant to tangle 1 on 1 in ur classic t/b dogfight. it would be suicide to try to t/b in a 190 vs zero. u get the idea http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

slarsson
02-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Well, I get shot down a lot, but.......

It seems to me that when the scissoring starts, rather than slow down and slip below the opponent (who is bleeding energy), it make sense to pour on the power and climb above him, then invert to keep him in sight.
That way, you have the E, he doesn't, and there is often an opportunity to drop the power and flaps and dive on him from above.

It certainly works well with AI opponents.

But, as I said, I get shot down a lot, so what do I know........

EnGaurde
02-22-2005, 03:31 PM
it would seem that inversion and height would translate to an advantage, but ive found thats not the case for me.

im not saying its wrong, but i find that if i can slip into the predom. wildcat or sbd or p40s blind spots all the time, im maneouvering to kill and hes trying to do one of two things: find me against the ocean clutter ( i swear im going to find a darker skin for my zero ) or stay out of guns range.... both of which are defensive.

flying inverted... i think it would be immensely difficult to scissor inverted for any length of time. Ive found most planes develop a gradual sink whilst inverted that elevator cant account for, so i dont know if it can be done for too long? Too much height would erode thru natural decay.

as for the energy it provides... i dont know if id want to be faster in a scissors unless i was much much faster, as the speed bleed each reversal has usualy means things are getting lower and slower every second. Being a tad faster means you pop out in front, and that just cant be good at close range. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

i dont mind the opponent having the slight height advantage, as none of the planes in the early pacific maps have the punch to climb away quickly. Usually if they stop the reversals and try to accelerate away, i can lift the nose and try some mg fire to wake him up and get him to break.

i guess if you scissor with a more nimble plane youve all but lost already, maybe thats where this idea wins?

ruf9ii
02-22-2005, 08:21 PM
never climb straight up in a dog fight unless your certain your out of range. if u do the enemy fighter will just have a nice clear shot at the top of ur plane (cockpit, engine, wings) of a slow moving target, which is perfect for him, but not for u. if your going to climb the spiral it to make him compensate and pull a harder shot. if you;ve got a more powerful climber than eventually steepen the climb when u can see he is starting to pull out.

in a turner like a zero, against a faster opponent with more alt the only option you have is to go into a head of (not fun) or when he dives on you be ready and roll out of his way and snap a shot at him as he retreats. notice that this is very hard to do and will not get a kill, nor even damage him very much. but it will weaken and every successive climbout by him will be shorter/slower.

learn to take high angle deflection shots (70 to 120 degrees. any more makes it a head on). this can also make it possible to shoot him as he zooms past you.

if your zooming down always keep speed up and pull out. if you dont think you will make the shot because he has seen u and is manouvreing like crazy than pull out of the attack and climb again. DONT dive down and try to stick behind him because you will still be too fast, and unless you kill him you will be only slightly fast and in front of his guns (which is not a good place to be).

also learn to manage your flight systems flawlessly. that is prop pitch, WEP, flaps, fuel mix, radiator and throttle. all these things can give you an advantage in similiar types of planes (say a zero vs fm2).

and as said before make sure you can see them, if you loose sight of them than climb in a spiral, check 6 first just in case, then procees to check everywhere else. and dont stop climbing untill you see him. this puts u in a good position to dive down on him or dive away from him if your unlucky.
If you get in trouble head for nearest cloud and dog fight around it. gives u worse odds, but gives him worse odds too. dont leave the cloud area untill u die, he dies or a friendly plane comes and distracts him to let u get away or ******** that SOB.

good flying http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ruf9ii
02-24-2005, 08:17 AM
what, nobody has any more hints?

i, for example have been killed many a time, which means what i do isnt flawless. anybody else experienced this?

Drunken_Moose
02-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Heh, I started the online gaming. I must say I'm an easy prey.

I remember in BF42, when playing offline, you could shoot directly on the plane and you would hit. Online, you had to lead, and lead more if there was alot of network lag.

Does network lag impact on the shooting in FB/AEP/PF ?

And when I loose sight of an opponent, do I try to find him again ASAP, or do some fancy figures without knowing where he is?

Each time I get shot down, I always feel like my enemy was lurking around for hours and that I just give myself up to him :S Yes, I could lurk for hours too until someone pops in my sights, but isn't that boring?

EDIT: Yea, I do the spiral climbing all the time when I loose someone, only to get shot like I didn't do it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

stubby
02-24-2005, 08:54 AM
try to avoid one vs one unless you have a clear cut energy advantage and do everything possible to maintain that advantage. the most common error folks make is to give up their E for the sniper shot (ie rudder, combat flaps, etc..). Doing these things will most likely get you killed 9 times out of 10 because this gives the enemy a prime opportunity to reverse it. Bottom line, never enter into one vs one combat on equal terms because you never know the skill level of your adversary. one vs one is good for practicing stuff like scissors or deflection shooting but if you're trying to survive or carry a pilot streak to glory, you would be best to avoid that type of encounter. Of course I don't walk the walk because my brain is fundamentally a point *****.

OldPepper
02-24-2005, 06:31 PM
2 things which helped me a great deal and still do, are to:

1) Practice QMBs with 1v1 J8A. 1000-2000m alt. (100-150m convergence)

The reason is that with these 2 low-speed but highly agile planes you'll be able to practice your energy and aim. Play a bunch of them. Try to acquire his 6 and stay there (or kill him!) It's also a blast. Progress from rookie to Ace. Then switch to 1v1 Hurricanes or 1v1 Brewsters (B-239). Reason being is these planes are a little faster and will extend the distances for maneuvers a bit and make stalling easier (more difficult). Convergence to 150-175.

2) Practice formation flying (any plane but a variety of altitudes (300-10000m)).
This will help you to match speeds of planes traveling with predictable straight lines and turns. Also, this practice will naturally lead to high and lo yo-yos & barrel rolls, etc, while managing your energy state to essentially come in at a guys 6 (your wing leader in this case). I can email a couple formation flying missions.

Differences in airplaes is ofcourse critical, but I thought some basic practice might shed light on the 1v1 question by using one-design planes to build the skill. That way youre focused on maneuver and similar energy states. If you switch to a Hurricane or Brewster vs the AI J8A, you automatically become the 'energy fighter" or faster but less maneuverable plane, etc.

HTH

ruf9ii
02-24-2005, 08:20 PM
this stuff is great.
i was in the shower this morning and i remembered another thing that i do which might help.

if you can fly pretty well but dont know where to shoot when leading the target (because the target is under your nose and you cant see him) then make it so u can see him.
in most 1 vs 1's as previously said they turn eventually into a turn fighting dual or scissor dual. if it turns into a turn fighting situation, when you think you have enough lead on him to make a shot but cant see him, level the plane out so you can see him and adjust with the rudder. If your not a good pilot it may cause you to stall or loose your place on his tail. i think best thing to do if you do miss is to not go back into the circle but to pull up and over. pretend the flight path of your two planes is a ball. the enemy is going around the outside and your looping over the top of the ball. As your inverted it lets you keep an eye on the opponent and allows you to store some energy (in the form of height) instead of just wasting it in level flight. note this works better in energy fighters. a turner would be better just rolling inverted and going under the 'ball'.

ClnlSandersLite
02-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Wow. You know, I totally forgot I posted this. Ok, I'll take a look into these. Honestly though, I think my biggest problem is that I'm just naturally inclined to use energy tactics and teamwork. The thing I think gets me killed most in a 1 on 1 is not having a partner to rely on. This is a problem I've had for ages in all flight sims. In a normal game, I'd just disengage and live. However, on those occasions that a freind and I get together and go 1 on 1 for fun (like between co-ops), I get murdered every time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. I think it might be time to seriously pick up a TnB fighter and learn how to fly the **** things. Thank you for the tips though guys http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif.

tigertalon
02-25-2005, 07:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ClnlSandersLite:
I've never been able to do the one on one thing. I can hold my own in a team dogfight, but never one on one. Any tips in that regard would be most helpfull. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends completely on what plane you are flying. Remember, knowledge is the greatest weapon in aa fights... Know your aircraft, know enemy aircraft, know advantages and disadvantages over enemy. Know at which altitudes you have better climb, know at which speeds you have better turn. And then use it all against him.

I have spent enormous time in studying Il2compare graphs, and testing those things in sim.

e.g.: Do you know that any Fw190 outturns Zero? For sure it does, but at speeds above 400 kph!

And that Fw190D9 outclimbs any spitfire? It does, at speeds above 500 kph!

And, very usefull thing to know is that russian fighters stay really breathless above 3000 meters... D9 really owns La7 and especially Yak3 above those altitudes, altough it may seem that below it is inferior!