PDA

View Full Version : Oleg, AI Gunners in BOB

DangerForward
03-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi Oleg I'd like to request a more complex AI for gunners on bombers and other gunner defended planes for the BOB engine. Here are my ideas for making the gunners more realistic:

1) Gunners affected by G-force on the plane. Even in an enclose turret, I'm sure you get thrown around a little if the plane is maneuvering hard.

2) Airspeed affects gunner accuracy and player gun movement. I recently read that with the standard installation of the gun on the IL2 that it was hard to aim when the plane was going over 400 kph because of the wind. This was from a section dealing with the experimental mounting of the MV-3 turret to overcome this problem. I bet many similar gun mounts have this problem, while powered turrets would have advantage.

3) AI is affected by shooting into areas that would be hard for a gunner/player to see. For instance when I use the rear gunner on the B25 it's very hard for me to shoot at steep downward angles, because I really cannot look over the sight or see well downwards. I don't think the AI has this limitation.

4) AI gunners can shoot well in clouds.

Thanks for your time, and good luck with the BOB project!

DangerForward
03-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi Oleg I'd like to request a more complex AI for gunners on bombers and other gunner defended planes for the BOB engine. Here are my ideas for making the gunners more realistic:

1) Gunners affected by G-force on the plane. Even in an enclose turret, I'm sure you get thrown around a little if the plane is maneuvering hard.

2) Airspeed affects gunner accuracy and player gun movement. I recently read that with the standard installation of the gun on the IL2 that it was hard to aim when the plane was going over 400 kph because of the wind. This was from a section dealing with the experimental mounting of the MV-3 turret to overcome this problem. I bet many similar gun mounts have this problem, while powered turrets would have advantage.

3) AI is affected by shooting into areas that would be hard for a gunner/player to see. For instance when I use the rear gunner on the B25 it's very hard for me to shoot at steep downward angles, because I really cannot look over the sight or see well downwards. I don't think the AI has this limitation.

4) AI gunners can shoot well in clouds.

Thanks for your time, and good luck with the BOB project!

3.JG51_BigBear
03-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Some very good points. Defensive weaponry should definitely move slower. Gunners used to fight against notonly the slip stream and wind from their own aircraft but also the weight of the weapon. Really wouldn't be a problem with power turrets but nose and waiste gunners on a plane like the B-17 had one heck of a time moving those guns around.

Cragger
03-06-2005, 09:56 AM
At the same time make them actually SHOOT at enemy planes they have dead in the sight right on your six. Seriously fly the B-25 in QMB and throw in a couple enemy planes. The rear gunner will just sit there with them in his site and do nothing (autopilot gunner on). Also they never correct their fire, they fire at the same angle until they stop firing only then do they adjust their aim.