PDA

View Full Version : 109G2 engine blows when auto prop control turns off

TPN_Cephas
01-13-2005, 07:07 PM
I am not sure if this is supposed to be like this or it is a bug, but if you turn off the auto prop control on the 109 it immediately over revs and blows the engine.

This does not seem like it should happen unless for some reason it was an idiosyncracy of the original aircraft. I would think it would remain at the pitch it was at when it was deselected.

Any knowledgable comment would be welcomed.

ElAurens
01-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Yup, this is normal. That is not a constant speed prop. It takes a lot of practice, and patience to control the German engines on the manual prop settings.

You must have your prop pitch turned down before selecting the manual pitch control.

3.JG51_BigBear
01-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Its very difficult to manage the 109s prop pitch. Unlike other manual prop pitch aircraft in the game, its needs almost constant attention. There is little to no margin of error. The best way to manage prop pitch in the 109 is to use a slider on a joystick or throttle, you can make the 109 do amazing things if you can work out the prop pitch.

TPN_Cephas
01-13-2005, 10:24 PM
The first time I did it I did manage to take off and get to 250 meters in a heartbeat, after that I was a glider. I did some experimenting, and yes it does take constant tweaking to keep it in the "power band". I am tempted to set power to 100% and then modulate engine rpm solely with variable prop pitch when flying a G2.

I still think that it should not immediately go 100% though, but remain at the last value it was when it was turned off until a change is made. (either with a variable input or keyboard command)

ZG77_Lignite
01-13-2005, 11:30 PM
I could easily be wrong (hopefully our Finnish friends might know something about this, they tend to be real Bf109 afficianados), but the Bf109's tendency to 'jump' to 100% blade angle may actually be how it really operated.

The 'manual' adjustment of the blade angles was really only a safety measure in case of auto-mechanism failure after its retrofitting post BoB, and as a secondary (or is it tertiary?) safety measure it would fail in the fine position, in order to have power for emergency landings. So when turning off the auto-mechanism, it may be normal for it to 'jump' to maximum fine, and then be adjusted (if possible) from their.

Smokin256
01-13-2005, 11:47 PM
The 109 prop controls are not correct. In automatic mode rpm at 0% throttle should be approx. 2,000 rpm not 850. This is the reason why they have had to boost the 109s performance artificially. This is the reason why they perform so well in manual mode. And this is the reason why you hear all the complaints that the 109s are Uber. There should be no advantage to using manual prop pitch. The only times it was used historicly was for maximum range cruising or when the auto system was damaged or failed.

When switched from Automatic to manual the pitch should stay right where it is. It should not go to full fine or to where it was last in manual mode. Prop pitch in the 109s should not be able to be mapped to an axis. There should be a button to drive the pich fine & a button to drive the pitch course and thats it & it should move smoothly at the same speed that it moves in Auto not instantly & not in steps.

Cheers.......Smokin256

x__CRASH__x
01-14-2005, 12:46 AM
109 manual pitch has to be contantly tuned. I use manual my entire flight. Your goal is to keep the engine at the desired RPM. I keep the engine at or below 2800 at all times, going over that in only the most dire circumstances. I usually cruise at 2300.

JG53Frankyboy
01-14-2005, 09:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smokin256:

When switched from Automatic to manual the pitch should stay right where it is. It should not go to full fine or to where it was last in manual mode. ..................
Cheers.......Smokin256 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats exaxctly the proplem of the game CEM http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
at the moment, i always are setting the manual pitch to 50% when im at 0% power at the starteunway , than going back to auto. so, if i have to enable the manual mode (most in Emils) i dodnt overrev the engine.

flyingscampi
01-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Smokin256: "This is the reason why they have had to boost the 109s performance artificially. This is the reason why they perform so well in manual mode."

Does this apply to the emil in the game as well? In reality I believe it had a manual prop pitch control only.

Smokin256
01-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Flyingscampi wrote;
"Does this apply to the emil in the game as well? In reality I believe it had a manual prop pitch control only."

109s began to be equipped with the automatic system at the end of the BoB in the fall of 1940. So since FB basicly starts in Spring/early summer of 1941 with operation Barbarossa & the continuation war (As far as the 109s go at least) all of the Emils we have in the game would have been equipped with the automatic system. So yes it does apply to the Emil. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It will be interesting to see how they tackle the problem with the new BoB engine. They'll need to model it in such a way that they can do the manual system properly for BoB & then model the automatic system correctly for the Med game that is supposed to come later.

Cheers........Smokin256