PDA

View Full Version : CH thottles

smokincrater
07-29-2006, 04:55 AM
Does anyone have CH thottle quadrant? If you do can you please drop me a line and tell how to configure it with IL-2 or for that matter any other game? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

leeG727
07-29-2006, 09:01 AM
I use the CH Control Manager utility to set up game profiles. You need to assign some of the controls from in the game (such as axis for flaps, trims etc). Check out the CH Hangar for a wealth of tips and information. http://forum.ch-hangar.com/

horseback
07-29-2006, 11:56 AM
It would be helpful if you told us whether you had any other CH controllers. If you do, the best course is to build a profile that combines as many of your CH controllers into one big controller seen by Windows and Il-2.

As LeeG said, the best place to learn how to do that would be the CH Hanger.

If you just have the Quadrent, though, use the CH Manager software to calibrate your Quadrent and then use the normal game Control Menu to add (some of) the six axes and up to 24 buttons you now have available.

cheers

horseback

smokincrater
07-29-2006, 07:07 PM
I also have the pedals.I find the ch gear hard to understand. But I will give my best shot.

horseback
07-30-2006, 01:08 AM
Okay, quick & dirty:

Start CH Control Manager: see the icon that looks like a joystick with a green plus sign next it? Click it. It's the "add" button.

A GUI will appear titled "Add Controller to Map".

Select Throttle Quad and click on Okay. A picture of the Quadrent will appear in the box, with an arrow pointing at the first axis lever. As you move each lever, the arrow will point to it. Looking at the section to the right of the picture, you will see that you can select CM Device 1, and the axis (X,Y, Z, R, U, V, Slider 0 and Slider 1). For starters, just leave everything in its default settings and add the next controller.

Click on the Add icon again, and this time, select the Pro Pedals. Note that the Pro Pedals are now picured below, and there's a tab that says Throttle Quad behind it. If you click on the Throotle Quad tab or move one of the levers, you'll be looking at the Quad again, but we don't want to do that. This time, you will want to change things a bit. In the right hand section, you'll see that the DX Device is listed as 'CM Device 2.' Change this to 'CM Device 1'. The Brake pedals should be designated Slider 0 and Slider 1, and the rudder function will be R Axis. You will have to change each axis' DX Device to CM Device 1.

At this point, we come to a harsh reality. CH Manager can only give you six axes, two sliders and 32 button assignments in a single device.

You only have one brake axis in Forgottne Battles/Pacific Fighters, so pick one that you won't use. I'm right footed, so I always leave the left brake pedal out. Select the left brake pedal, and instead of "Slider 0", select "None". Now go back to the Quadrent, pick the third lever from the right, and change it from "R Axis" to "Slider 0".

You're now ready to save your Profile: click on the icon that looks like a floppy disk, pick a file name (how 'bout Quadped?), and save it.

Now would be a good time to calibrate your controllers before downloading your profile to your system; click on the 'calibrate' icon, select the Throttle Quad, and select Okay. Then, on the new window, select 'calibrate' and follow the instructions. Then repeat the process for the Pro pedals. Do this every time you've disconnected your controllers from your computer.

Now you're ready to download the Profile. Click on the icon that looks like a joystick with the green swooshy arrow pointing at it; that's the 'Download' icon. It downloads your profile and causes Windows to see One Big CH Controller, called CH Control Manager Device 1, all 8 axes and 12 buttons, and that is what Forgotten Battles/ Pacific fighters will see.

Note, however, that it will be control Device 1 and you will have to re-assign your non-CH joystick axes to aileron and rudder axes on your Control Menu in the game, unless your profile leaves out (like the left brake pedal) the X and Y axes.

cheers

horseback

leeG727
07-30-2006, 07:39 AM
I have my rig set up slightly different than Horseback€s.

I use the full CH kit: pedals, Fighter-Stick, Pro-Throttle and Throttle-Quadrant. Rather than setting all this up as a single Control Manager device, my mapping gives each device its own CM device number. Unlike earlier games, Pacific Fighters recognizes multiple Human Interface devices so it€s not necessary to fool the computer into thinking it€s seeing only one device. The advantage this gives me is that I can make full use of all of the axes on all the devices.

I use the Pro-Throttle axis controls the throttle, the six Quadrant axes control prop, mixture, roll-trim, yaw-trim, dive-brakes and flaps. The Fighter-Stick is pitch and roll with pitch-trim on it€s throttle wheel. The Pro-Pedals are yaw, and I found a script file that allows both brake pedals to activate the brakes. I use the buttons on the Quadrant for auxiliary functions, such as gear, hook, tail-wheel-lock, canopy, seat-height, lights etc. The buttons on the stick and Pro-Throttle are for engine functions (boost, radiator, etc.), weapon controls and views.

This gets me pretty close to a €œreal€ cockpit without upsetting the wife.

The CM program may be a little intimidating at first, but is very powerful for setting up the controls to do exactly what you want in game.

horseback
07-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Lee, all he said he had was the Quadrant and the Pro Pedals, and that he wanted to make a profile for them-so I gave him some general instructions on how to do so.

I have the whole shebang myself, substituting the Combatstick for the Fighterstick-yoke, stick, pedals throttle and quadrant, and my standard profile for IL-2 creates two controllers using the stick, throttle & pedals in controller one, and the Quadrant is controller two.

However, I believe that Pacific Fighters allows a maximum of four seperate controllers, and we don't know if he uses another gamepad or Nostromo type controller as well as his non-CH stick. I use a Saitek Pro Gamer for more buttons myself. It's very useful for running comms with the ai offline.

Combining the Quad and the pedals into one controller increases his options, that's all.

cheers

horseback

leeG727
07-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Salute horseback!

All good information. If smokincrater follows your advice and also checks out the Ch Hangar he should be well on his way to getting his kit up and running. If he needs more help, I guess we should move this over to the Community Help Forum.

smokincrater
07-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys it takes a bit of understanding but I got there! See you on the flight line.