PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! Gun: 1 million rounds/minute from our Aussie mates.

Flying_Nutcase
10-10-2006, 04:25 AM
I read in the paper about an Australian company and how it has made or is making a gun or some sort that can fire at a rate of 1,000,000 rounds per minute. No kidding.

It's apparently supported by the Australian and U.S. governments .

Actually, the article was largely about how the Chinese wanted an ex-worker from the company to move to China, for a $100 million lollipop.

Working the numbers, 1 million rpm would be the equivalent of more than 800 MG42's all firing at the same time (1,200 rpm each) or 166 Gatling guns at 6,000 rpm.

Who wants to be the enemy now?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Anyone have any more info? Caliber? Number of barrels, etc.......

Okay I Googled "1 million rounds per minute" and came up with this vid:

http://www.goyk.com/video.asp?path=516

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/1281426.html

So it's been around for a few years. The 36-barrel 9mm version did over a million rpm and he made a demo 40mm grenage launcher that can fire at 6,000 rpm.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie...

leitmotiv
10-10-2006, 05:59 AM
Where did you see the story about the bribe?

I lost money on their stock (Metal Storm, MTSX). You can rest easy. Nobody seems interested in the device---possibly due to the enormous problem of keeping it in ammunition and the complexity of reloading---ammunition is pre-stacked in replaceable barrels, firing is electrical, barrels can be preloaded with varieties of ammunition and the soldier can chose the rounds to be fired electrically---rather complex. Here is their US website:

http://www.metalstorm.com/index.php?src=&PHPSESSID=6450...47e44bc107b90f0f5e3d (http://www.metalstorm.com/index.php?src=&PHPSESSID=64505758da7547e44bc107b90f0f5e3d)

Their stock is around $2 US---go for it.

Next year they are supposed to come out with a high-tech handgun for police departments which will only fire with the using officer's bio print. They are hoping this will get them out of hock. Right now the company is borrowing like crazy from a Singapore group. Who knows? Maybe the Red Chinese will buy it and conquer the world.

Flying_Nutcase
10-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Where did you see the story about the bribe?

In the Japan Times. Apparently it was all above board. They weren't asking for blueprints, hardware or anything. Just the guy's brains - some ex-worker at the company.

PS Clearly the design has a sustainable fire problem - a million rounds a minute for a tenth of a second kind of thing. Still, I wouldn't want to be in front of it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I guess the Gatling design is still top dog.

leitmotiv
10-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the info. I may buy again. I thought it would be as revolutionary as the Maxim machine gun but I found out there were devices just as innovative + there are rumors the next big thing will be laser infantry weapons.

Vuco1
10-10-2006, 07:41 AM
One word: OVERKILL!

stanford-ukded
10-10-2006, 08:12 AM
I thought Lasers were outlawed by the Geneva convention? Did I just make that up?

leitmotiv
10-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Well, the pre-WWI treaties outlawed gas and sinking on sight. The US is already sweating because, supposedly, Chinese lasers are blinding our spy sats over Chinese territory.

leitmotiv
10-10-2006, 08:36 AM
The China story made the number one U.S. investment magazine, FORBES:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2006/10/08/afx3074655.html

BiscuitKnight
10-10-2006, 08:38 AM
The Australian Defense Ministry is actually looking at buying the rifle version, which would be basically a bunch of rounds in a disposable casing. The benefits were ease of manufacturing and cost, presumably it'd have increased AP capability (one bullet expends itself on the point that is stuck, the second breaks through it - G11 was capable of this too), lighter weight, soldiers would carry several into combat and dump them when they're expended, et cetera. Not sure how it's going, but the army doesn't want them - they want their SLRs back, actually. I've heard it so many times this year a read so much about how soldiers don't like 5.56mm NATO and want to go back to 7.62mm SLRs, and not from armchair generals either, straight from the veterans I've met, as well as reading books like Black Hawk Down and 18 Hours, the soldiers realise their 5.56 NATO runs out fast because of high RoF and it has less range, which actually matters in modern combat. Worse, 5.56 NATO doesn't always actually work as intended: it's supposed to use shock force to damage internal organs with a hit to the abdomen and thereby remove three men from the battlefield: two to carry the wounded man. In practice, the 5.56 rounds are going through people, not tumbling and doing its job.

I also saw on a doco about a decade ago that the USA was developing lasers for their contempory [3rd] generation fighters (weapons, I don't mean laser guidance), but only heard about it again recently that the F-35C might mount a solid state laser. Interesting stuff, I wonder if it'll mean the end of the MBT.

ploughman
10-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Hmm. Turns out there is a Protocol on blinding lasers from 1995, (protocol IV to the 1980 International Humanitarian Law Convention). Never knew that.
Here's a link if you is interested. (http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/385ec082b509e76c41256739003e636d/49de65e1b0a201a7c125641f002d57af?OpenDocument)

leitmotiv
10-10-2006, 08:43 AM
"Moderation in war is imbecility." Admiral "Jackie" Fisher

berg417448
10-10-2006, 08:46 AM
You are correct about a laser being developed for the F-35. I've read several articles about it. They hope for a 10km range. The weapon is intended to be used both offensively against ground targets and defensively against incoming SAMs and AAM's. There is still a lot of development needed before it becomes a reality.

DuxCorvan
10-10-2006, 10:36 AM
How much do 1 million rounds weigh? It's unpractical, and in most cases, as Vuco said, overkill.

Well, it can vaporize tanks in a second, but A-10's gun does that yet, with less ammo expense -and more ammo time.

So what's the use of it? Killing Sentinels in Matrix?

There's a Spanish saying for these things: "Killing mosquitos with cannon fire".

Akronnick
10-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Discovery Channel had a spot about this in their "Future Weapons" program. They quoted the million rpm figure, but the way it works is more like 1000 rounds going off in 1/10th of a second and then your stuck with an empty tube.

It's like a overcomplicated claymore mine. It didn't seem very pracical to my untrained eye.

Might as well carry 100 muzzle loading muskets and fire them all at once, give the same instantaeous rate of fire with the same reload capability.

StG2_Schlachter
10-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
How much do 1 million rounds weigh? It's unpractical, and in most cases, as Vuco said, overkill.

Well, it can vaporize tanks in a second, but A-10's gun does that yet, with less ammo expense -and more ammo time.

There's a Spanish saying for these things: "Killing mosquitos with cannon fire".

We have a similar one: "Shooting sparrows with cannons" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Why fire a gazillion small projectiles when you can archieve the same effect or more with only on big projectile?

NagaSadow84
10-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Reminds me of an obscure German WW2 development: The ‚‚ā¨ŇďZentrifugal-Maschinengewehr‚‚ā¨¬Ě of the SS-Waffenamt. A so called kinetic machine-gun which reached a fire-rate of 15000 rpm in June 1944. Out of fear from Himmler, no one dared to ask why anyone would need a 1-ton machine-gun which could fire around 120kg ammunition per minute.

leitmotiv
10-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Obviously some millionaire read this thread and bought a huge amount of Metal Storm today because the lousy stock was up nearly 50% at one point, and closed up 23.56% after being dead in the water for months---OK, who is the snake in the grass????????????

SkyChimp
10-10-2006, 08:46 PM
I think it's obvious that one day the Australians will rule the world.

MarkGos
10-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Got the right Chimp.

One day all your BBQ's will belong to us!

leitmotiv
10-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Shrimp on the barbie will replace three inch thick New York steaks---we're doomed.

BiscuitKnight
10-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:

I'm not certain, but I think the point of the 1M RPM gun was just to prove the electronic firing system, not for practical applications. Also, look at the attention it draws - people think "Wow! 1M RPM!" and become interested in their projects. Unfortunately for Metal Storm, no one has yet agreed to buy anything, although as I stated the [ADF] has become interested in a rifle using their system, I only heard vaguely about it, but apparently it'd use a lot of cheap plastics and be easy to manufacture. With Metal Storm weapons all the rounds are actually in the barrel, loaded a certain way, so you'd need to ave spare barrels that would replace magazines. Apparently the combination of increased RPM (I lean towards SLRs rather than high RPM but not military strategists), cheap construction, light weight, reliability, AP capability, makes them worth while. I don't know that it'll turn out though.

Oh and for the record, the A-10 Warthog is an overrated piece of ****.

hobnail
10-11-2006, 02:55 AM
It'll end up in Naval CIWS systems I would think...

As to the 1,000,000 rpm...one of the other good things about MS is that that rate is totally within the control of the weapon's electronics, need a wall of 100 rounds in a buckshot pattern on an incoming SSM yesterday? go Metalstorm.

whiteladder
10-11-2006, 03:44 AM
Hmm. Turns out there is a Protocol on blinding lasers from 1995, (protocol IV to the 1980 International Humanitarian Law Convention). Never knew that.
Here's a link if you is interested.

The Royal Navy had a weapon known as the Laser Dazzle Sight deployed on a number of ships in the Falkland Conflict and is currently fitted to Type 23 frigates.

Also when I did my basic training the Petty Officer training our division told us of a colleague who had been serving on a Royal Navy spy ship that had been shadowing the Kirov Battle group while it was on exercise and had his vision permanently damage when they had been lased by the Kirov.

ploughman
10-11-2006, 04:01 AM
Hi WL,

I heard about the dazzling laser in the Falklands. I didn't know it was still in use.
I guess the dazzling laser was designed to cause temporary blindness and force a pilot to pull/abort his attack run? I don't really know much about it, but it seems both the UK and Russia/the Russain Federation are signatories to the 1995 Protocol. Was the Kirov incident in the 'bad old days?'

whiteladder
10-11-2006, 04:05 AM
Was the Kirov incident in the 'bad old days?'

Yes I did my training in 1989 so it would have been during the 1980`s

leitmotiv
10-11-2006, 05:36 AM
Re Metal Storm: they have been trying to sell it to the USN as a CIWS but with no luck so far. I would like to know why their stock has suddenly and incomprehensibly gone up. There has been nothing released from the company to stimulate optimism.

AlGroover
10-11-2006, 05:53 AM
1 million rounds per minute. Didn't they used to call it 'canister'?

Capt.LoneRanger
10-11-2006, 06:05 AM
Problem is, what do you use this thing for, other for what it is allready in use for?

So far, I know the USAF and some other countries have tested this system as a vertical delivery system for jets attacking ground targets. The fact that it uses electrical triggers, rather than mechanicals, makes it possible to arrange several layers of munitions, that are fired one after another until the barrel is empty, but the aim is not very good. AFAIK they try to use it for other types of munitions.

stathem
10-11-2006, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by AlGroover:
1 million rounds per minute. Didn't they used to call it 'canister'?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

MadMacgunner
10-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Hi,i saw once a documental about this weapon.But i should not call it machine gun.
It‚¬īs more an awesome shotgun.It,s like a big cube full of small cannons.Into each o these cannons there are some bullets which are fired almost simultaneously.The result is (as i see it) a big shotgun.A big cube of bullets firing together towards the target.

‚¬īVista,suerte y al toro‚¬ī
Garcia Morato,Spanish civil War Pilot.

airdale1960
10-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Are dem thangs fur sale in shotgun nus yeat! I'm gunna gat me one!

WholeHawg
10-11-2006, 01:33 PM
FYI

1 million rounds of 7.26 nato ammo would weigh about 10 tons.

If the gun was actually fired at this rate it would need to be mounted on somethign very heavy!!!

Capt.LoneRanger
10-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Actually that's like

"What do I need a car that drives 200kph, if I only need to drive 100km?"

Rate of fire doesn't mean it actually fires that many shots. It's just a theoretical calculation. For example, if it has a ROF of 1Million/minute, it fires 1Million divided by 60 bullets per second. Just like you don't go 200km autmatically, if you start the engine of a car. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

DuxCorvan
10-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by SkyChimp:
I think it's obvious that one day the Australians will rule the world.

In fact, all Australia is a secret evil base. Those jumping things... those venomous beasts half-castor, half-duck... Mutants! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

partic_3
10-11-2006, 05:22 PM
those venomous beasts half-castor, half-duck
You leave my wife out of this! But yes, you're basically right. Our most fearsome weapon is our coarse vowel sounds that, combined with some truly appalling dress sense, will bring the world to its knees in no time. If that doesn't work we have missiles full of boxing Kangaroos and drop bears... not to mention sting rays.
The best thing to do is send us lots of beer, not weak US beer, though, that won't help at all.

NonWonderDog
10-11-2006, 05:36 PM
The point of Metal Storm is that the rate of fire is fully adjustable up to 1,000,000 RPM. It doesn't fire at a million rpm all the time. You can just type in whatever rate of fire you want, and that's the rate of fire you get.

Last I checked, though, they were thinking of using Metal Storm for big grenade launcher arrays instead of guns. I don't really know what happened to that.

DuxCorvan
10-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by partic_3:
The best thing to do is send us lots of beer, not weak US beer, though, that won't help at all.

I thought you had thousands of kangaroos drinking wheat soup to produce Foster beer an hour later. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

ManicGibber
10-11-2006, 09:37 PM
MST recently released Options and Convertible Notes to the general public and/or shareholders, that may be the reason for the rise in share price.