PDA

View Full Version : can you sink a cargo ship with just one magnetic torp?

neogrunt
07-01-2005, 09:11 AM
i normally spend three torps to sink C2/C3 cargo ship. I always set the first torp to magnetic trigger, but it doesn't seem to do adequate damage. ... i always have to fire two more torps to sink it.

is is possible to sink a cargo ship with a single magnetic torp? How do i do that?

UF_Excalibur_D
07-01-2005, 09:21 AM
I did it once on a C2, I sent the usual 3 torps to the target but set on impact...the first hit and I got a Enemy destroyed before the second or third torp even hit...it was going down already when they impacted......got me by surprise. Now I just send one and see then I send the rest if I need too....lol

Lueth_HUN
07-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Aim for the fuel tank, it blows up for sure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Budge4
07-01-2005, 09:35 AM
You probably need to vary the depth of magnetic torp to find an ideal depth for the draught of ship you are aiming at, also the sea state makes a difference as well as of course the ships depth in the sea is changing as it bobs up and down. So ideally to sink target with one torp the sea would be calm and you would set torp about a metre or two under the hull.

Have sank lots of ships with one hit from a magnetic and if you get it right it visually removes a great chunk of hull from the target (seen with ext cam) and sometimes splits ships in two or explodes as Leuth_HUN says.

Budge

S VIIC_41
07-01-2005, 09:37 AM
I always just go for the fuel tank if I can.

However, (shameless self-praising story ahead) once I sunk a King George V with ONE torpedo.

But that's not all! It was an ACOUSTIC torpedo! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

How many people have done that? I think it hit the ammo bunker. It was strange... it started to go along the side instead of towards the propellors.

neogrunt
07-01-2005, 09:50 AM
ok, this is a completely noob question.

How do you aim for a specific part of a ship???

cuthy2k
07-01-2005, 09:50 AM
to kill a c2 with one shot aim manually for under the funnel. This is also atop the superstructure. Any topr aimed for 5m below the waterline here will almost 99% guarantee a 1 shot kill. The torp will impact then 5 or so sec later the whole ship will blow up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hawk_9th
07-01-2005, 10:01 AM
C-2s I have around a 25% one torpedo kill rate and a 65% 2 fish kill rate and the other 10% it takes 3 to 5 fish lol. C-3 normally break easier then c-2 with a torpedo set for about 1.5 meters deeper then the keel . If I have to take stern or bow shots I set them deeper so they will have a better chance of going off under the center of the ship.

aaronblood
07-01-2005, 03:12 PM
With a mag torp against C2s, I've had the best success with impacts immediately behind the superstructure. Anything forward of the stack it takes at least 2 often 3.

I've only fired on two T3's so far. It was the same convoy; they were in line tandem. I snuck in parallel and positioned myself between the two maybe 500M away. Decided I'd attack simultaneous with one mag torp from my forward and aft. Both mag impacts were dead center on the T3's they both cracked in half beautifully in rapid succession. I was well pleased with myself and decided I might as well end the night on that high note.

Tyb421
07-01-2005, 03:20 PM
C2s ... 1m under keel under the stern mast.

It may take some minutes (hours sometimes under real sinking time)
for it to sink but if you have patience it works. Sometimes I help them with the deck gun when weather permits.

On a perfect calm sea I set for 0,5m under keel and they go down fast.

In a storm magnetic is not a sure shot so I try to aim for the fuel area 3m under waterline.

BDNeon
07-01-2005, 03:27 PM
I think what he's asking is how you pick the part of the ship to aim at. What interface is it? Do you click on a part of the ship manual? Can you do it with auto aim on? I don't know how to pick parts to aim at either, but I've seen pics of it being done.

snowdawg1
07-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Point your periscope sites on the part of the ship you want to hit €œbut€ don€t press the lock button. That€s where the torpedo should hit. Pressing the lock button just aims at midships

urlybird0
07-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by neogrunt:
i normally spend three torps to sink C2/C3 cargo ship. I always set the first torp to magnetic trigger, but it doesn't seem to do adequate damage. ... i always have to fire two more torps to sink it.

is is possible to sink a cargo ship with a single magnetic torp? How do i do that?

Yes ,aim the torpedo at a point just aft of the funnel , you'll invariably hit the engine room or fuel bunker's , that'll break the targets back , i've done it on numerous occasions

regards

Ubd

Ubd

stinkhammer6
07-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Ill post this again for the third time.
C2/3 cargo- Torp depth 6m, magnetic. Lock target and wait for your scope to read 10m until 0, with tube open set solution and fire.
Same goes for the auxillery cruiser. All three of these are one torp each.

Fiji cruisers- Depth 5 impact set on fast. Aim either between the bridge and first gun at the front or between the two guns at the rear, one torp only is needed. This is the same setting for the King George battleship and Revenge battleship.

Maj_Solo
07-05-2005, 02:21 PM
interesting. I had no experience in sinking battleships when I stumbled across a couple. I thought, since they were battle ships, they should have some thick skirt or something so I only fired underkeel shots. Is it realistic to have them sink with one torp??

When surface ships fight, the lighter ships have torpedoes so I guess one could assume the BBs will get torpedoed. So when designed .... did they really give them this thin skin near the surface?

Desslock
07-05-2005, 02:26 PM
to aim at a specific part:

1) be closer than 600 m
2) be at an angle 0f abaout 90?
3) open the ship id book and you will see gray boxes representing those hotspots. click on them anbd the following torp will be aimed at this spot. Kabooommm!!

stinkhammer6
07-05-2005, 03:46 PM
The last one I took down was stationary and in shallow water so I had to damage it on both sides so it would actually blow up and not rest on one side and not fully sink. I sank a revenge battleship with one harpoon though, the one that was stationary was in scapa flow and it was a king george.