PDA

View Full Version : REALLY dumb question

VM0824
10-10-2004, 12:07 PM
umm, this is probably one of the dumbest questions i've ever asked.

How do i win. i mean i tried the first mission and the radio sed come on home we won or somtin so i landed in the airfield and saw all the other planes come and land and taxi and watever and they disappeared and i was just left there.
i really have no idea what any of the terms and controls or nothin.
thx for your time

TX-WarHawk
10-10-2004, 03:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VM0824:

i really have no idea what any of the terms and controls or nothin.
thx for your time <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't feel bad for such a question. I think that when you win a mission ( this is after the success message ) you can land , hit Esc and click on the button that says End Mission or something like that. I haven't flown offline in a long time. But at least I tried to help.

Skycat_2
10-16-2004, 10:22 PM
A couple of days have passed since this question was posted ... but what the heck! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

First, 'winning' is a subjective concept. For some, simply surviving the mission and landing the plane counts as a success. For others, shooting down enemy aircraft or destroying vehicles and tallying up a 'score' is important. In campaign mode, you get promoted and win medals if you perform well.

You didn't give the specifics of what kind of mission you flew. A 'single mission' usually has an objective that your side is supposed to accomplish, like bombing a target or patrolling a circuit; once the mission ends you see your performance in the form of both a numerical score and as pictographic icons (a red star or a bar represents an enemy plane shot down; pictures of tanks, vehicles, guns, trains and ships represent appropriate ground targets). Hit the Escape button at the end of the mission to end it. A 'Quick Mission' usually has only a basic goal that you decide for yourself to allow you to practice your skills, and shows your score the same way as the Single Mission.

If you are flying a 'Pilot Career' you win by surviving to the next mission and ultimately to the end of the campaign; in the course of the career you win medals and promotions. If you play a Dynamic Campaign (Using 'Forgotten Battles' with or without Ace Expansion Pack) you'll see your performance history updated to show exactly when and where what aircraft types you shoot down throughout your career. Also, I think that successes/failures in a Dynamic Campaign change the front lines and resources available to each side to some degree. In a scripted campaign (native to the original IL-2 game and the common method offered in download campaigns and commercial add-ons for IL-2/FB/AEP) your success in each mission allows you to progress to the next mission; however, the final score is presented using numerical score, medals, and icons.

One thing to note is that sometimes writers of scripted campaigns like to build in an 'instant success' feature so that players are automatically able to move on to the next mission, regardless if they even leave their home base. This is done because some missions have difficult goals and you could otherwise get stuck repeatedly trying to beat the same mission. Also, I think that there is a toggle switch in the difficulty options that allows (or just disables?) 'Instant Success.'

Skycat_2
10-16-2004, 10:47 PM
I just noticed that you described the other planes as landing and disappearing ... this means you have either 'Forgotten Battles' or the 'Gold Pack.' (In the original IL-2, the planes don't disappear). This means, if you haven't added any custom missions downloaded from the internet, that you either played a 'Single Mission' or you launched a Dynamic Campaign ('Pilot Career').

Single Missions aren't connected to other Single Missions. When you finish the mission, simply hit 'Escape' and see if you got credit for any kills. Think of Single Missions as a way of showcasing some of the new aircraft by providing interesting scenarios for them ... The USAAF P-47 mission provided with FB is an example, as there isn't a true American pilot campaign included with the game.

I described the 'Pilot Career' above ... after hitting the Escape key and reviewing your performance, hit the 'Apply' button (if your pilot is still alive) to save your progress and move on to the next mission. By the way, if your plane is damaged and somewhat flyable, try to fly back to within your own lines if possible before bailing because otherwise you may be listed as 'captured,' thus ending your campaign.