PDA

View Full Version : Aces' Artwork: Some news, please read.

Aces_High_2
03-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Hi All,

Earlier today I posted messages at Flight Sim websites asking if anyone could translate some text for my website into their mother tongue. I'm astonished at the speed that folks came forward and kindly supplied me with translations. I now have Spanish, German, Dutch, Italian, Hungarian and Polish translations of the new web page. In the next version of IL2-MAT Manager I intend to include a link to my PayPal account to help raise funds to cover my website cost. The new page is located at : Aces' Artwork Donations Page (http://www.leigh-kemp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/PayPal_Donate.htm) and contains links to other versions in other languages.

Many thanks to Jose, Jaime, Cippacometa, BlackLion, Jeroen, Marek, gViM, Jutocsa and MaXMhZ for translating the web pages for me.

It was my original intent to donate any surplus monies received to a charity of my choosing however I have since decided to donate ALL monies received to charity. I haven't decided the exact name of the charity but I think that given the truly international nature of the visitors to my website it should be an International charity. Further to this I think that I'd like to choose a medical charity. The subject that is perhaps closest to my heart is that of the disease cancer. Many years ago I lost Grandparents on both sides of my family to this insidious disease. It's a disease that recognises no frontiers, no politics, no social classes and can affect all ages and sexes. Most of us know someone or have know someone effected by this terrible disease.

I think the most practical idea is for me to make monthly donations of any monies received to my PayPal account and publish monthly reports on my website news and information page. My work will always be freely available but if you enjoy my website, my artwork and IL2-MAT Manager and you can afford to do so please make a donation. I always derive a great deal of pleasure in others enjoying my work and this has always been my prime motivation however, this could open a new dimension to things and together we can help to make a difference.

Ladies and Gentleman it's a win-win situation, you help me to help others and provide me with additional motivation to continue my artworking activities, I will make my contribution by continuing to provide my time, labours and dubious talents free. Over a period of time I've been very fortunate to have gotten to know many talented members of the flight simulation community and many are household names on the flight sim boards and much respected for their talents. They have always provided their labours free because, like myself, they enjoy doing what they do and have contributed their talents to IL2-MAT Manager.

Oh and by the way, I'm continuing work on the new version of the program over the coming weekend. Grat is very kindly going to do some coding next week to incorporate a couple of extra features that my feeble coding isn't up to so it looks like we'll have a beta ready to test some time next week.

Thanks and best regards

Aces

Aero_Shodanjo
03-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Salute to you Ace. I can't agree more to your decision esp. about your intention to donate to a cancer research organization.

There's a woman here that I love so dearly that has been diagnosed with the disease and she's currently doing various treatments. For some reasons, we're unable to be together for the last two years but we still keep contact to each other.

I hope that very soon, we will be able to be together again.

Im sorry everyone, I just cant help not to share this.

Aces_High_2
03-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Hi mate,

No reason for you to be sorry for posting. It's a horrible thing and I wish her the very best in her treatment. After I posted the web pages I started thinking to myself do I really need to raise funds for the website costs. It's not a businees, it's my hobby and, at the end of the day I could make a donation of sorts by donating these costs, in kind to a worthwhile cause. I did try to do a smiliar thing over a year ago but the charity never replied to my enquiries. Since then the website and my work has grown and, if just 10% of folks that downloaded my current version each donated five UK pounds then that's 1,300 UK pounds. In one six month period last year my website logs show over 60,000 artwork & program downloads and, on average I get about 250 visitors a day to the site so that's a lot of people.

Yes of course there's the "feel good" factor but I can't see anything wrong with that myself. Folks get a product, I get added satisfaction and motivation and the charity and those that it helps get the money. Don't get me wrong I am motivated by those that derive some pleasure from my work I just think that there's something missing.

Best wishes

Leigh (Aces).

Aces_High_2
03-11-2005, 02:13 PM
http://www.leigh-kemp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/AICR_Banner.jpg

Hi all,

Yesterday I said that I intend to give any donations made to my PayPal account to a charity. I have found a charity that I believe is a extremely worth cause. The Association For International Cancer Research (AICR) is an independent charity whose aim is to support fundamental research by eminent and promising scientists throughout the world, into the causes and prevention of cancer. Please visit their website http://www.aicr.org.uk and have a look for yourself at the work that they do.

I e-mailed them earlier today and I am awaiting a reply to my enquiry regarding payment options.

Best Regards

Aces

MaxMhz
03-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Very good choice Leigh http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Aces_High_2
03-12-2005, 03:36 AM
Cheers mate,

I wanted a charity that was International not country-centred and also a cause that was international and it doesn't get any more international than this one. I'm hoping that folks will enter into the spirit of things and make a small donation if they are able to. PayPal make a small charge for credit/debit card clearance but after that all money goes to the charity. I hope to have some exciting news to announce regarding this in the near future.

Best wishes

Leigh

MaxMhz
03-12-2005, 03:41 AM
I only have to pay extra to PayPal when I withdraw money - I can transfer funds to my account (empty nowhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ) for free - I just make a transfer to the bank of america in amsterdam (I'm in the Netherlands) - the conversion they apply is horendous though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif (e.g. euro's to UK pounds or US $)...

Aces_High_2
03-12-2005, 03:59 AM
Hi mate,

When I opened the account a while back they had two types. From memory, the first one was entirely free but wouldn't allow people to pay into it by credit card. I've had a few small donations over a period of time and they appear on my statement with the credit card "handling" charge having been deducted. I'm waiting for the charity to let me know if they have a PayPal a/c in which case it's as easy as me paying money from mine into theirs, no charge made by PP on this AFAIK. Else I will transfer into the charity's bank account, whatever is the best way. I will enquire with PP if they have a policy on charetable donations, maybe there will not be a charge I'll see what they say. I want to keep any necessary chages down to an absolute minimum so that the charity gets the largest slice of the cake that's possible.

Also this charity is UK-based and so am I of course.

Cheers

Leigh

Extreme_One
03-12-2005, 11:47 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif Nice idea Leigh. Good choice of charity.